Dostinex and getting pregnant

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to these kind of sites, I am so happy there is other people to talk to. I'm 31 years old,10 years ago I had an ecotopic pregnancy followed by a miscarriage when I was 4 months pregnant. Since then i have been unable to conceive. I found out about 5 years ago that I have mild PCOS but most recently found out in January 2012 that I have very high levels of prolactin.

Doc has started me on weekly dose of Cabergolin for 8 weeks and I am praying that:flower: I get a Postive preg test after this treatment. If my prolactin level has been this high without my knowledge all these years then it may explain my unexplained infertility.

I have had periods 1-2 heavy flowing days followed by 2-3 very light flowing days.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? It has been such a comfort reading your threads.

I have also just invested in a clear blue fertility monitor.

thanks so muchxx

Sorry should have been more specific about cycle flow which has been for the last 10 years. I only started the tablets a week ago so i have not noticed any changes yet.

Hi MYBABY2012 - welcome to the discussion! I also take cabergoline once a week. The side effects were awful at first...head aches, super tired...but now I barely notice it. I have been on it for like 3 months now. My periods are really short. Heavy the 1st day, then light the 2nd, and done by the 3rd. My RE has not said this is a problem.

I did have a long talk with my RE and because I started spotting only 8 days after the IUI, he has recommended progesterone to take right after my next IUI. He also thinks that clomid will do the trick since I had a follicle that was ready and 4 days later it looked exactly the same. It should have grown or ruptured on its own, but didn't. We are taking a break this cycle to see the outcome of a job I interviewed for. If I don't get the job, we will take clomid next cycle.

Soo frustrating I am now 4 days late and no sign of AF!! just did another pregnancy test this morning and still neg!!! arghhhhhhh

How you ladies doing?

Just had blood test done and still have to wait until monday for results!!!!!!!!!

Mumma09 - what's the latest?

I have had a really weird cycle. Only meds are the cabergoline 1/2 pill once a week. On cycle day 10 I started spotting, cycle day 11, small blood clots. Got blood work done on cycle day 12 that said I already had ovulated. All other blood work and hormone levels were normal. Prolactin was at 3. My doc couldn't explain the heavy spotting. And I O'd way early. Luckily we BD'd twice right before that. I O'd on day 16 the last 3 cycles and now on day 11??? So weird. My doc wants to keep doing IUI and strongly feels clomid will straighten out my ovulation.

Got my period on the weekend :nope: so out this month it was 4 days late but so that was a little strange!

How confusing are cycles wish they would just be the same all the time lol

Mumma09 - sorry to hear that! It is such torture when AF decides to be late. All of TTC is torture. Sometimes even all the sex feels like torture. We used to do it like every day, and now its like 3 times a month...just in the fertile window. Now that we are doing IUI we don't have to do it at all, LOL! I think its just this month that we decided to chill out. Next cycle we will be back to rabbit mode.

Yikes! Lots has happened since I've been MIA for a while.

Mybaby2012 - have you gotten your thyroid checked? they suspected my Prolactin and it turned out to be throyid.

San Fran - Was hoping to find a BFP announcement. Best of luck next cycle.

Mumma - yeah, it'd be *great* it all cycles were the same. Mine are 36-39 days long, usually 37, with the help of metformin. Before that, they were 120+ days.

baby dust for all of us!!!

Well, AF started today. A 20 day cycle. Each one is getting stranger and stranger. I am going to start clomid this Wednesday and take 50mg for 5 days along with the cabergoline I still take once a week (.25mg). I go in for an ultrasound on cycle day 10. And we will do IUI again. I have a feeling I am in for an emotional roller coaster this cycle.

So I called the Dr office today just to confirm that the blood test I get on Saturday the 10th was neg (my period started 5 days late that afternoon) so I could take my Dostinex tonight, I knew my Dr was away but the girls in the office always just tell me if its negative, well I rang and she said she would have to get another Dr to look at it and put me on hold when she got back she said the dr had said he doesn't know my medical history but its unlikely that I am pregnant!?!?! Shouldn't it just be a negative or positive??

Mumma09 - that is a really bizarre answer from the doctor's office! But you got your period right? Do you think you could be pregnant?

I did get it but only really light and 5 days late, I don't know I feel pretty yuck but just did a home test and it said negative it was a bizarre answer from the dr!!!!! does it mean that I did fall but had an early miscarriage causing the HCG level to be slightly high?? wish my dr was back!!

they should have simply said yes or no. You should call back and ask them what their answer means.

Sooooo, here I go again. I took clomid on CD 2-5, had an HCG shot on CD 12 and IUI this morning. I need to take the cabergoline tonight and I also have progesterone to take, but I can't remember when the doc said I should start. I had two ripe follicles...one on each side. I have felt mild cramping all day. My 1st IUI, I didn't leak anything out. This one, it seems like it all leaked out :( Hope some stayed up in there!! Now for the excruciating TWW. I really hope I can update this thread soon that I got a BFP so that other ladies taking meds for elevated prolactin have some hope!

good luck!

Just curious - Can a GP order infertility testing? (Like hormone levels, ie: testosterone, progesterone and estrogen)? I'm still fighting with my doctor. She told me that she won't do anything else, and that i have to go to a FS. All that's been done is prolactin and thyroid testing.

Rainangel - that's been my experience. My OBGYN would only do prolactin testing and then after a year I had to go to a FS. It's better to go to a FS anyways since they really know all about TTC and a GP and OBGYN doesn't. Good luck! :hugs:

I'm pretty confused about it all. this is why i didnt pursue testing, etc before now. i always got the run around. My OB led me to believe she'd put me on clomid, but then they didn't schedule me with her, but the GP.

Ugh, All i want is to have a baby. Apparently that's too much to ask for here. o_O

Rain Angel - my OBGYN did some preliminary testing like the day 3 and 21 blood tests, prolactin, thyroid. After 1 year of TTC I had to take a class at Kaiser to get the basics of infertility, then I got to see a Reproductive Endocrinologist. The RE ordered the HSG to see if my tubes were blocked, put me on the cabergoline, and now on the clomid. He also did a saline sonogram to make sure there was nothing weird in my uterus. Oh and he ordered the semen analysis for my husband. I am pretty happy with Kaiser and the services I receive there. I am not sure how things work with other health care providers and even hearing about my sister (who is pregnant) and her experiences with the doctors confuses me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->