Doula's & Birth Partners....

I am looking at the training in Sheffield mid June but I'm leaning towards hosting a course in late september / early october.

A question for all working doulas reading the thread (Elizabeth for the moment!): what is your relationship like with MW at the births? My mum asked me what MWs thought about the role of a doula and I'll be honest I hadnt given it much thought. :)

I am looking at the training in Sheffield mid June but I'm leaning towards hosting a course in late september / early october.

A question for all working doulas reading the thread (Elizabeth for the moment!): what is your relationship like with MW at the births? My mum asked me what MWs thought about the role of a doula and I'll be honest I hadnt given it much thought. :)

I can answer this from both perspectives as I used to be a midwife :winkwink: At the end of the day, it all really depends on the midwife or doula. I can pretty much get on with most people - or at least agree to disagree in such a way that it doesn't put anyones nose out of joint - so I've never really clashed with a doula when working as a midwife, or vice-versa (luckily :winkwink:). Saying that though, the way people work varies MASSIVELY and there's definitely been times when I've had to bite my tongue as it wasn't my place to intefere despite disagreeing massively with what was going on. And times I've had to speak out on behalf of the woman/family I was with, which is bound to get peoples backs up as you're effectively questioning what they're doing or the way they do things.

In my experience, when being a doula, midwives can be quite suspicious at first and maybe a little defensive but as long as you're good at diffusing that kind of thing, the suspicion quickly turns to interest in what you're doing and you complement each other nicely :thumbup:

What an amazing weekend :)
I feel like a changed person already!! I have really started to reflect on my personal judgement and opinions on things.

I will type up a bit more about what today entailed when I get chance - hope yore all well xx

gosh I'm so excited to hear about it Emma!! Do you think it's also helping you deal with your own feelings about George's birth?

x

Right....
So far, we've talked about the role of a doula, how to learn how to listen, communication and the use of words, and working with health professionals :)
We've been given some tasks to do at home and an assignment. I also want to start building up a library of books to loan out too xx

And yes Lisa, it's quite emotionally charged, and the support is amazing. It's definitely helping me deal with George's birth xxxx

Brilliant! This came at just the right time all ways round then - I think your plan sounds great too! :)

x

Sounds like you had a brilliant time, Emma! :happydance: Was it just a weekend course or is there still more to go?

Sounds like you had a great time Emma..I cant wait till July now..:) x

EternalRose - I'm doing the course in Putney (July) too so will see you there :happydance:

Oh how fantastic that you two will be on the course together. I bet you'll really enjoy it ;)
it's amazing how 'highly charged' a room full of passionate, emotional women can be. You can almost feel the hormones!! Haha.
I need to do some research for my assignment on the dreaded 'PND' :( I'm hoping it may help me as well as others, by knowing what signs to look out for. I also want to fund out more about Post Traumatic Stress, as I'm sure there is a difference & not everything is down to PND? Would you agree?
Also, I think Birth Trauma really does exist & is linked to PTSD as oppossed to PND. I wonder if my views will change once I've researched it.....Hmmmm xxxx

ohh I just saw this group!!! I have been looking to become a doula for some time now. Im from Canada and there are alot of courses here, but none were close enough for me to go to with our schedules etc....

I recently found one that you can do as an independant study which I think I will start when I am on matleave again.

I am very interested in becoming someone knowledgeable in all aspects of birth and newborn care. I'd like to be able to provide a special knowledge base for alternative birth methods etc... those type of things arn't that big in the area I live in.

Birth trauma most definitely exists and people who have a traumatic delivery can go on to develop PTSD (which in turn, can lead to PND). And you're right again in saying PND and PTSD are two different things! Good luck with the assignment, it'll be really interesting researching it :thumbup: I wrote an essay on PND as part of the interview process for becoming a midwife and really learnt a lot!

Hi Ryder - Good luck with the home study course! :happydance:

Hello ladies...I am interested in doing doula training and also breastfeeding support worker!

I still breastfeed my ten month old and I dont know where to start with finding out how to train???

Help ladies!

Hi Ryder :) great to hear your thinking of championing alternative birth methods in your area. Keep us informed ;)

lilysmum - well done on reaching 10 months. You should be so proud!!
As regards BF training - try contacting BFN (breastfeeding network) as they offer courses. Also your local Primary Care Trust (or PCT) may well run courses :)

good luck xxxx

Lily'smum - do you attend your local BF support group? Often mums who are regulars are asked to do peer supporter training through their groups :)

Hi LIsa!!!!

Thanks BH's!!!!

I will be looking forward to chatting and reading everything in this group for sure!

Questions from someone interested in having a doula for this birth.... Basically my mom and FOB were there for dd's birth, which ended in an emergency section. This time my sister was supposed to be there but due to conflicting issues she isn't going to be able to make it. I want to do everything possible to avoid another section but I don't really know what options are available and was thinking it would be a good idea to have a person who can stand up for what I want...

What should I be asking when I "interview" a doula?

Is there anything that I should specifically tell her when I meet her?

IMHO, I think it's really important that you find the right Doula, so interview several.
You want someone who will listen to you and support you, but NOT tell you what to do or how to do it.
It's important to feel comfortable with your Doula. It's not about money or how much they can earn, it's about their willingness to support whatever you want and I think a good Doula will spend time with you during your pregnancy learning what she can about you and your preferences.
You are right, that potentially, having a Doula with you will help you stand up for your rights & statistically it is proven that the presence of a Doula can reduce the need for medical intervention ;)

your interview questions are completely up to you. Its all about you and what you want. It's your body, your baby, your birth!!
Personally, I can't imagine there being a 'set' of questions to ask, but maybe try not to be bogged down by 'how much' 'how many births they've attended etc.' but go more fir whether or not you 'click' and whether you feel you'd trust them to represent you.
HTH xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->