Doula's & Birth Partners....

Good luck with finding a doula :) there are a few guidelines here as to what you could potentially ask any doulas you interview

https://www.doula.org.uk/content/duk/find/Questions_to_ask_birth_doulas.asp

DONA may have something similar that's more relevant to the way things run in Canada? I know when I was in BC, there were quite a few DONA-registered doulas there and they ran a few courses (I'm not sure about Alberta though)

https://www.dona.org/

As BabyHaines says - it's really important you 'click' so if you get a good vibe about someone, chances are she'll be perfect for you :thumbup:

Sweetie, definately look through DONA... Cappa is also a very good Doula organization in Canada too.

Sit down with your partner and decide what you would like to ask your Doula, see what experience she has with VBAC's etc. You really need someone who is going to be able to strongly advocate for you, but also be able to see and sccept when enough is enough and when the doctors are ligit.

hello lovely ladies

I've 'met' some of you before but for those that I haven't 'met'

I'm Nikki, 25 and Mummy to Aimee Grace - born at home 18/4/2009 with the support of an amazing doula (Michelle Every) after being so inspired by my daughters birth and my own personal journey through my medical phobia I want to be the "rock" for other women that Michelle was for me. I'm a completely different person now and I never ever thought I would want another child (well labour and birth) before I had Aimee

I'm hoping to do the Nurturing Birth course in Bolton June 2nd, 3rd and 4th :dance: I'm just in the process of sorting it with the organisers.

Nikki - I am sorting out hosting a Nurturing Birth course at my home in September/October you could have come to mine over the Pennines! :)

Hiya Nikki :hi: - sounds like your whole experience was quite a revelation! Glad it's inspired you to become a doula :happydance:

Is your house quite big, Lisa? I was thinking of putting my house up as I'm really nervous about leaving Esmé for three whole days! My house is so small though, it'd probably be be people sitting on each others laps :haha:

Oh really, thats amazing - where abouts are you? My doula Michelle was going to let us use her home to host a course but I thought as Bolton is quite close then I would be able to go there. However, as I don't drive (yet! I'm workin on it) public transport to that particular venue in Bolton is proving challenging to say the least. I was going to exhaust all options before ruling it out though. It's great to know that all is not lost if I cannot make it to Bolton - I am hoping to be driving by Sept!

Hiya Nikki :hi: - sounds like your whole experience was quite a revelation! Glad it's inspired you to become a doula :happydance:

It was a journey and a half - its was (no exaggeration) life changing for me. The midwife who delivered my daughter is also a massive inspiration. I'm so lucky that she has taken me under her wing this pregnancy. I'll still be having Michelle at the birth this time, I can't imagine not having her there :thumbup:

I should invite her to join us here!

You have to be able to seat 8-10 people comfortably - no hard chairs is specified! We have a 4 bed detatched so I guess it's classed as 'big'. Our lounge is open plan to the dining room which helps.

Nikki - we are in Brighouse :) Direct train from Rochdale to our little station and 2 min walk to a bus route that stops bang outside my cul de sac every 20mins :)

I most certainly would, Yorkshire's lovely!! My parents live a stones throw from the Yorkshire border!

Who me, or Nikki? I've never been to Yorkshire before, not proper Yorkshire anyway - just Donnie, does that count? I bet it's lovely isn't it? I live in the city but I don't like being a city-dweller...

If Bolton doesnt work out it would be lovely to do it together :)

I think MM meant a holiday for you, but I hijacked it. Yorkshires not really a 'holiday' as such for me.

Believe it or not MM, yours would be easier to access than the Bolton one!!

Who me, or Nikki? I've never been to Yorkshire before, not proper Yorkshire anyway - just Donnie, does that count? I bet it's lovely isn't it? I live in the city but I don't like being a city-dweller...

Both of you! We are in a small town here but you only have to drive 10 mins to be knee deep in sheep! :lol:

I think MM meant a holiday for you, but I hijacked it. Yorkshires not really a 'holiday' as such for me.

Believe it or not MM, yours would be easier to access than the Bolton one!!

I thought it must be from what you were saying. 1 hour to mine from yours but 45 on a direct train and 15 mins for the walk/wait/bus journey. At least you have another option there. I was supposed to be going to Sheffield in June but I think it's too early with breastfeeding really.

awww im jealous! I wanna come to the doula party... hahaha

Aww Joss if you and the kids fancy a holiday to Yorkshire, I'd have you all stay here :)

Yaay i like this group :lol: I was going to do the course in London with Lisa too but now I think i will be doing one in Scotland... its too far to go to london without Tabs and HUGE :haha:

I'm going to do the Doula course for both parts and also am going to train to do the BF course..then hopefully become a MW in later years :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->