• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Downs testing - anyone not having this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading this thread I actually brought it up with my husband just to kind of see what he thinks.

We're in agreement that nothing would change how we feel about our baby. But we may still have the test done if that means we get to see our baby again :D

This thread has made me reconsider if I really want to have the tests done. It wasn't something I'd ever really given much thought to and just presumed we would have it done (the non invasive initial screening tests at least anyhoo).

Now it's two weeks away, I'm not filled with a warm and fuzzy feeling about it.

nope not having it, one I dont care, I would keep it no matter what. And 2 my insurance prob wont pay for it

I was given the form to go have it done and I threw it away. Makes no difference this will still be my little boy whom I love with all I my heart either way.

Im so glad i brought this up now! thanks everyone.
i was worried i was the only one who thought like me, its reassuring to see many of you think same.
our screening test is in 2 weeks as we initially said yes, but after talking it through there is no way we want it done. so soon as i walk through door i Will say no. and just have scan. mid wife said this would be ok x x

I'm not having downs screening.

It only gives a possibility.

I would never have the amino test and risk a MC no matter how small this chances.

We waited long enough for this baby and it was so hard to get pregnant. No way I'm risking it and would still love him/her if they did have downs.

My midwife was really supportive of our decision.

Oh and here our 12 week scan is a dating scan not a NT scan so you get it regardless of how you want testing. No NT measurements are taken at all on 12 weeks scans. It's all done via blood tests in Wales.

xx

Oh and here our 12 week scan is a dating scan not a NT scan so you get it regardless of how you want testing. No NT measurements are taken at all on 12 weeks scans. It's all done via blood tests in Wales.

xx

Thats interesting, im in Australia and im not getting the bloods done but they automatically measure the NT at the scan anyway :)

Strange how it's different everywhere isn't it.

I'm only 30 or so miles from England where it is an NT scan!

It even varies within England, my area don't do an NT scan just the bloods. It is quite confusing as you get a booklet early on explaining all the tests to consider then when you book in you are told some of them are not even available!

I am exactly the same, wouldn't change our minds what so ever! Precious no matter how many chromosomes he/she has

:happydance:

We had it done. More to prepare. The results wouldn't have mattered to us.

We do have a friend whose granddaughter had trisomy 18 and it was horrible.

You have to go in understanding that it isn't a positive/negative test and I think that can be miscued a lot of times. My dr's office will call and say it came back negative but then I just ask them what was the ratio?

DH and I decided that we won't be having the test either. It wouldn't matter one bit either way. I love my little one with every fiber of my being and I haven't even met him/her yet. Downs or no, doesn't change a thing. My mother and sister work with special needs children closely and they truly are the most amazing children. DH and I will be ready however it works out :)

We aren't having anything done either. For the reasons you listed this is also a IVF pregnancy and I could never do anything with even a slight chance of harming it. X

Is it awful that I don't give a crap what the numbers say I just want to see my baby again?

Is it awful that I don't give a crap what the numbers say I just want to see my baby again?

Nope. That's really the reason I did it this time. I don't think I asked for a ratio. I had so much stress with my dad passing then I had general anesthesia early on (we didn't know) so I wanted to make sure and ease my mind.

At my Tues scan (it was just a simple 3 minute scan. Finally can see a HUMAN instead of a blob!), I was asked to come back next week to do the Downs screening and NT scan. ONLY if my insurance approves. If insurance doesn't approve, then I won't do it. We'll love the child anyways at any results. This is a non-invasive procedure - simple finger prick and a little more intensive ultrasound to make sure everything is in the right place. I can only hope an arm isn't growing out of the head. :D

IF the blood test shows a little higher risk of Downs, that's as far as I'll go, and we'll wait and see the bundle of joy in May.

My friend who has 4 kids and pregnant with her 5th - She opted for the test (I'm not sure if she did amino though...she doesn't know I'm pregnant yet, so I'm going to wait until our announcement to ask exactly what she did) - only because her 4th child has Downs Syndrome, so it's a little bit more of higher chance. So it would make sense in her case to get it.

Any invasive procedure - a no-no for me. Anything that is non-invasive - sure. It's my first child, so I want to make sure things are moving along in the right direction and be prepared for anything that pops up, especially since we've been TTC for over a year and I'm on the older side. Missing a hand? So what. Missing a leg? So what.

Nope. That's really the reason I did it this time. I don't think I asked for a ratio. I had so much stress with my dad passing then I had general anesthesia early on (we didn't know) so I wanted to make sure and ease my mind.

I'm sorry about your dad. So hard :( I don't blame you for wanting to see your little one

I'm the same way, I'm really not concerned about numbers at all. If it does come back that I'm at a higher risk then it would nice to be prepared, but the main reason why I'm doing it is so I can see the baby. :haha:

It is done automatically in south England you have to request it not to be done otherwise. When I had my scan they said baby was too small to do it to so I have another scan ... I feel the same I don't care what the result is it won't change a thing. I just want to see my baby ahain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"