Drinking alcohol and TTC

Hi everyone,

I tried not drinking and cutting out caffine for the first two months of ttc and it just made me even more stressed and I was so moody it was like having PMT, so this month I have reverted back to normal with a few glasses of wine and I feel so much more relaxed so for me this is definately the way forward, as they say the more you deprive yourself of something the more you want it.

Wannabe liked the article thnx... I have also heard fats such as real butter instead of margarine help?

Wannabe liked the article thnx... I have also heard fats such as real butter instead of margarine help?

The beauty of red wine beside it being good for you is that it also helps relax you, which is very much needed when you have the stresses of TTC.

I have mentioned this a hundred times before in other posts but here it goes again - i got a bfp 6 on jan ( 2008) and was obviously a nervous wreck what with it having been xmas and new years. Asked GP who said not to worry as embryo lives off 'period' until week 5 when it starts to hook into your blood supply. That blood has been filtered by your liver and therefore poses no harm to baby (only you :)). After that, obviously, anything and everything you eat, drink and breathe goes straight into your bloodstream and to your baby.

In conclusion, particularly for long term ttc, a little cheeky glass now and then is gonna do more good than harm. As with everything moderation is the key! :)

:wine: Enjoy!

Well thank you all for all your words of wisdom - my hubby works away A LOT and is home soon after 3 months away - I have tried to cut down while he has been away and I think I've only had a couple of glasses a week but when he gets home I know the levels will increase ( after his 3 months of stress we both need a drink - we are going away for a while as well to chill out!!). I will take all your knowledge/feelings on board when we give it a go in August. Some times I read all your posts and think how lucky you all are to even get the opportunity to try each month!!! Good luck to you all and wish me luck for August and maybe September it may be the only 2 opportunities we get this year to try!!!!!!!!!!!!!:winkwink:

people can go overboard trying to banish all the fun from your life.... i spoke to nurse recently about ttc (i am also a nurse but she didn't know that) and she was all ooh the DoH forbid any alcohol for anyone ttc as well as while pregnant etc etc.. i think they do try to sacre the bejeesus out of you and is not fair. What if i was ttc for a couple of years? I mean really, do some people have no sense? i am obviously not advocating going out getting blotto every night but the odd glass is surely one teeny pleasure we should not be denied at every turn? :(

I'm with you - people who say you shouldn't drink alcohol and caffeine while TTC havent' been through 2 years TTC and fertility treatment! It was stressful enough without denying myself all my pleasures in life! I generally tried to cut down in the 2WW, but seriously - putting your life on hold for 2 weeks a month for 2 years?? I think if you let TTC take over your life too much you are just putting too much additional pressure on your health/relationship etc. How many women have you seen who just get paranoid about everything - it completely takes over their lives, it can't be fun. I say chill out and enjoy life :)
Obviously since I got my BFP I haven't touched a drop...

I agree that a cup of coffee once a day or a glass or two of wine a few times a week is ok. I used to be more paranoid about coffee etc but as the years went by I realised I had no coffee in the TWW and no baby so allow myself that pleasure:thumbup:
I agree about the early stages and the developing embryo is not absorbing from the mother but think the point about right around AF is important, if it could cause failed implantation. There is no definite but if it is a risk, I would skip the days around AF. Also be careful to limit your drinks before OVulation when the eggs are developing, as too much alcohol can damage them - we all want the best eggies:flower:

Just wanted to point out that eggs are actually maturing 3 months prior to ovulation therefore if you were really serious about the above point you would have to not drink at all for the entire ttc period - which as pointed out, would be a big bummer if you're a LTTC'er :) Same actually applies to men, new sperm takes 3 months too.

I think the best point that has been made repeatedly is to do everything in moderation. I also think its fair to say that a glass of wine is not gonna stop implantation, which btw also happens a few days before af ( usually cd 9 but anywhere between cd 6-12 ) therefore you might not be so lucky to know when it happens and thus again, no drinking.

Im happy to agree to disagree but i can also understand the need to be cautious however, i think for a lot of us, having done this for a long time you sort of end up picking and choosing what is best for you and what you're willing to to and not do, iukwim?

All the best though, hun :)

people can go overboard trying to banish all the fun from your life.... i spoke to nurse recently about ttc (i am also a nurse but she didn't know that) and she was all ooh the DoH forbid any alcohol for anyone ttc as well as while pregnant etc etc.. i think they do try to sacre the bejeesus out of you and is not fair. What if i was ttc for a couple of years? I mean really, do some people have no sense? i am obviously not advocating going out getting blotto every night but the odd glass is surely one teeny pleasure we should not be denied at every turn? :(

I think the DoH thing comes from erring on the side of caution. No one can know for sure that a little alcohol does no harm without properly regulated tests. In order to find out what the safe limit was, they would have to rig up some kind of test in which pregnant women were given measured quantities of alcohol and then the no. of miscarriages or birth defects measured against a control group who abstained. Clearly it's totally immoral and unthinkable to do any testing like this. Whenever the DoH has no data and there is even a glimmer of a possibility that there could be a bad side effect they seem to go for an all out "ban". It's the same with OTC drugs that you should or shouldn't take when preggo - as a hayfever sufferer I was in a terrible state not taking my antihistamines until a doctor friend of mine suggested that the chances of anything happening were so slim I'd be more likely to be abducted by aliens, so I started taking them. They don't test this stuff, so they just say no because if they said "yes in moderation" and something went wrong they would have a law case or 100 on their hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->