Drinking while Pregnant

O

Ozzieshunni

I'm watching Pissed and Pregnant and frankly, I'm disgusted. There is so much conflicting research on how alcohol affects a fetus, but why even take the risk? There is a woman on here saying that pregnancy is not an illness so why should be be so careful? Most women don't even know what a unit of alcohol is! I'm shocked.

Would you drink while pregnant? Would you take the risk?

I never drank when pregnant, its not worth it and i wouldnt jeopordise my childs health for a sake of an alcoholic drink.

Before christmas my husband went into town to do last minute xmas shopping and told me that there was a pregnant girl standing outside a shop with a fag in one hand and a bottle of wkd in the other he said she looked about 8 months pregnant..........he was close to telling her what a twat she is but didnt!

i think its selfish to risk another human beings health....... x

i won't lie and say i didn't drink at all, a couple of bacardis at family dos or whatnot, but i didn't drink to excess.

i didnt drink anything with romans pregnancy and I had a small glass of pommegranet fizz or something on christmas day when pregnant with amelie.

so.. no. I don't think its worth the risk.

I'd have a sip of wine or a tiny glass on the odd occasion, but that is it.

Some women don't care though, but mainly I think people have the attitude that it won't happen to them. I know a child with FAS and it makes his and his Stepmum and Dad's life very difficult. (his Mother is an alcoholic, so he doesn't live with her)

I didn't have even a sip in pregnancy as I didn't want to take THAT risk but I did drink the odd coffee,eat chocolate and things like that so I'm not saying someone who has one drink is terrible but there is a HUGE difference to having A drink and being DRUNK and IMO when someone is drunk their mental status is altered and if it's doing that to ur brain then it's obviously doing something to the brain of ur unborn child who didn't ask to b drunk in the first place,I just see it as when u get pregnant ur responsabilities as a mother start then,not once the baby is in ur arms,they've already been with u 9 months by then xx

I didn't even take a sip of champas at a wedding while I was pregnant. I used to sniff peoples red wine though and imagine the taste :rofl:

It's just not worth the risk to me!

I have max of a small glass of wine twice a week, as purely in my opinion there is no risk in doing so, based on evidence and studies. Obviously drinking in excess has been proven to do all sorts of damage, but there is no evidence to suggest that a small amount of alcohol will do any harm.

https://news.discovery.com/human/alcohol-drinking-pregnant-women.html

Taken from the article - "It is no longer valid to argue that we don't know enough about low-dose drinking during pregnancy or that the known effects of binge drinking may penetrate to low-dose drinkers somehow," he added. "There is no detectable risk associated with light or moderate drinking during pregnancy."

I have max of a small glass of wine twice a week, as purely in my opinion there is no risk in doing so, based on evidence and studies. Obviously drinking in excess has been proven to do all sorts of damage, but there is no evidence to suggest that a small amount of alcohol will do any harm.

Taken from the article - "It is no longer valid to argue that we don't know enough about low-dose drinking during pregnancy or that the known effects of binge drinking may penetrate to low-dose drinkers somehow," he added. "There is no detectable risk associated with light or moderate drinking during pregnancy."

This is simply not true. There have been babies born with FAS if the mother has had a small amount of alcohol. The truth is, we simply do not know the effects of any amount of alcohol on an unborn fetus. One of the experiments shown on the program involved doing ultrasounds on women who had drank and women who hadn't. The researcher said that the results would need to be replicated again for there to be proof, but he said the women who drank, their fetuses continued to have fetal twitches long past the time of women who did not drink. I wouldn't risk it at all! It's only nine months.

I had a couple of small glasses of mulled wine at christmas when I was pregnant with Maria and the occasional sip of OH's drink. However, I drank a lot before I realised I was pregnant (realised at 6/7 weeks). But all the meds and stuff I had to take were a lot worse than those few drinks I had christmas so I didn't worry too much about them.

This is simply not true. There have been babies born with FAS if the mother has had a small amount of alcohol. .

Out of curiosity, where is the evidence to suggest that what he says isn't true? Not one study has shown that a small amount of alcohol while pregnant causes any harm - hence Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in the UK stating that there "is no danger in drinking one to two units, once or twice a week". This is the official advice on their website, based on the fact that not one study of the numerous women who drink lightly during pregnancy have shown ANY negative effects on the baby when born.

During the many studies, all of the babies born with problems were born to women drinking 10 units of alcohol a week at least. The RCBG categorically say that there is a "safe" amount to drink during pregnancy - no more than one or two units once or twice a week.

I fully understand that some people chose not to drink at all, in the same way that some people are more strict in terms of restricting what foods they eat during pregnancy. However, if the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists plus every other medical professional I have ever spoken to has said that one or two units once or twice a week is perfectly safe, then that is good enough for me :thumbup:

I don't think it's right to drink or smoke while pregnant because what the mother has goes directly to the baby and I don't think someone should have the right to put toxins into a baby's body who has no choice in the matter so for me it's not just about the risk it's about the fact that you are putting something into your baby's body which they are way too young for and is a toxin, it doesn't matter if it's now proven to be safe, imo a baby should not have alcohol or the chemicals from a cigarette entering its system at any time.

I don't understand the risk at all. It's just nine months! Surely people can sustain enough willpower not to drink for nine months! :wacko:

I havnt had any alcohol since before I was pregnant with William to this day. Its not hard to abstain from for the health of your children for a few months. Well to me its not. I dont think it matters how much it is, I dont think in pregnancy you should drink at all or even smoke. (and before any one goes at me for smoking I gave up while pregnant you can do it takes will power). I think that program was called pregnancy and pissed or something? I seen it was on the other day but didnt watch it as I knew it would annoy me. Always at the end of these sort of debates anyway its never any one else that matters but mum and baby and its always between them in the end. I always try and cut what others think out and leave me and my child and wonder what I would say to them.

who wants this?
https://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/brain/fas.html

I don't understand the risk at all. It's just nine months! Surely people can sustain enough willpower not to drink for nine months! :wacko:

Because the studies show that THERE IS NO RISK!! If they said "it is inconclusive" or "evidence shows there may be a link between limited alcohol consumption and harm to baby" then of course there is a risk and I wouldn't do it. But the studies and official bodies are categoricially stating that there is no risk to SAFE and low level drinking! All the details about FAS apply to women who drink more than the safe amount! You can't compare drinking within the limits to drinking excessively - it's like comparing statistics of children injured in cars when not in car seats to those safely strapped in; two totally different situations.

As I said, I can understand people wanting to be ultra cautious and not touch anything but, with absolutely no offence meant, I pay more attention to official guidelines, studies and evidence than people's opinions. Of course I could abstain totally if I wanted to, but if there is no risk associated to it then what is the need?!

Anyway, this could go round and round in circles. I'm confused as to why everyone is so set on following official guidelines and jump down people's throats when they do something different (i.e. not co-sleeping safely, weaning before 4 months, baby in own room before 6 months etc) yet in this instance is you DO follow guidelines then you are in the wrong as well!

I should think common sence would tell you regardless of studies.

Common sense knows better than years of academic research?! Sorry but that worries me and if everyone went by their own "common sense" and ignored research and advice then there would be a lot of unwell babies everywhere.

You might have a higher opinion of yourself than for respected doctors, scientists and other medical professionals but I'd rather leave it to the experts.

a tiny amount of alcohol every now and then i dont think is a problem. alcohol is naturally occuring in many foods anyhow. its also in many consumables and we rub it on our skin! theres many types.

i wouldnt personally do it every week or even every month in pregnancy, and even now after im bfing im very cautious even following the guidelines.

Common sense knows better than years of academic research?! Sorry but that worries me and if everyone went by their own "common sense" and ignored research and advice then there would be a lot of unwell babies everywhere.

You might have a higher opinion of yourself than for respected doctors, scientists and other medical professionals but I'd rather leave it to the experts.

I do not need a study to tell me drinking is wrong in pregnancy as the baby gets it. :dohh: Any doctor would also say the same. Not talking about anything else just drinking in pregnancy.

I would never drink while pregnant and even a small drink 2x a week I would not do. To each his own, not for me I wouldn't risk it not for anything :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->