Drug Pregnancy category B: Safe to take in 2WW?

susannah14

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm in the 2WW for the very first time in my life. I went the doc today for a suspected UTI and he wasn't sure whether I had one or not, but gave me antibiotics anyway. The drug is a category B for pregnancy (in the US).

I have no idea whether I'm pregnant yet, obviously, as I am 3dpo but wasn't sure whether I should take the meds.

Category B means this: Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester.

Anyone have any thoughts? :nope: Thanks ladies

Sounds like it's safe. And you dont want the infection to spread to your bladder or kidneys because that is really dangerous. I think the risk of that would be more harmful to your possible baby than the meds. You could always call the pharmacist and ask though! :flower:

Hiya as far as I know most morning sickness pills are so cat b. The drugs I take for my blood pressure are cat c. Its risk vs benefit and its more benefit to not be vomiting/have controlled bp in my case for example.

Its likely that if you were pregnant you would still have been prescribed the cat b antibiotics as utis can get very nasty very quickly! If I were you I would be taking them x

I probably wouldn't think twice about a B. If you read it, it basically says they have no reason to believe there will be a problem (from animal studies) but there just isn't enough data on pregnant women. The thing is, it's hard to get data on pregnant women since they don't test things on pregnant women. I mean I wouldn't take it without a reason, but if I needed it like for an infection and it was a B? I don't see an issue.

Thanks for your input ladies! Very reassuring. It turns out I don't actually have a uti. I'm not sure what was causing my symptoms but it wasn't a uti and it's gone now. So thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->