Drugging babies to fly..

I seem to be pretty impervious to noise on planes. I fly a lot usually and can only recall one occasion where I was annoyed by a kid, and it was 100% the parent's fault (letting their kid get out of their seat while we were trying to take off and then not putting much effort into getting her BACK into the seat even though the flight attendant said "we can't leave until she's seated" :dohh:).

I was even sitting behind a baby for a 10 hour flight to Japan and don't remember ever being bothered by it! Maybe someone was drugging me.

I haven't flown with my LO yet, but will be in July when she's 10.5 months. No idea how shes going to act. Shes great in the car, but a plane is totally different. We are only going to Spain which is just a 2 hours flight from here, but hopefully in the coming years we will travel further, depending on how she copes with the flight. I won't be 'drugging' her this time as I'd like to think I can cope with a 2 hour flight, but if shes a nightmare on the plane, then, bash me all you like, but I probably would consider doing it next time.

To the OP.

Travelling with a child who is under 6 months old is a piece of cake compared to an 1+/toddler...Ive flown with my son several times since he was born in 2010 and the first ever flight we took at 3 months old was a doddle compared to the flights at 1yrs old and then again at 2yrs old.

I personally would never drug my son whilst flying, because the flights not long enough to warrant it, but if i was to go on a long haul flight, i wouldnt completely rule it out...a child who is frustrated and fighting sleep cos hes to excited does not sound fun, esp for 8, 9, 10 + hours.

When I fly to oz next year (I'll have a 2 year old) I will be taking some with me in case. I don't know how he'll react, its not a 2/3 hour flight, its 12+ hours and a change over. Stressful as an adult let alone a toddler. I'll be covering all bases :thumbup:

I'm not a mum yet so I don't have my fully formed own opinion.

But in 2010 I went to Australia with my friend and her 3 children. 4 year old, and 2 year old twins. The 4 year old and one of the 2 year olds are darlings and were incredibly well behaved and slept when they needed to and generally were great flyers.

The 2 year old twin girl on the other hand has always been a nightmare sleeper, so her mum gave her something to help her sleep and she was peaceful and rested when needed accross the 26 hours we were travelling.

I don't see any harm in it - would I rule it out completely in the future - not at all. If it's needed for a contented baby, it's needed. But I would do everything I could possibly think of beforehand to make sure she was ok, enertained, happy or rested.

What has annoyed me most about this thread was actually the 'dont go on holiday' comment! A very immature and quite frankly down right stupid thing to say by someone who clearly lacks a decent brain cell. I for one travel to Tenerife once a year because that is where my big sister lives. She has lived there for 14 years and there is not a day goes by where it doesn't rip me apart that I can't see her every day like I can my other sister and I have to make do with twice a year. So I will HAVE to take my child abroad so she knows her auntie.

The more I read about this woman the more she disgusts me.

I do agree that the women who wrote the Daily Mail article is absolutely and utterly disgraceful, i also read how she slaps her 14 year old etc.

But like the girls said, interesting points were raised. In paticular how anti child places are becoming.

She disgusts you because she gives her child something to calm them down during a somewhat uncomfortable experience that some children dont adapt well too?

I guess a large chunk of us here do too then in that case.

Or has this lady done something else that doesnt meet with your approval?

Yeah, I don't think the lady in the article was particularly appealing, but I still think the point stands that our culture isn't family/child friendly.

I think what's bothered me most about those opposed to drugging an anxious/overstimulated baby is the judgement rather than the opinion. I probably wouldn't drug my daughter, simply because we don't have any necessary, long flights planned for the foreseeable future. She doesn't do well in these situations, but I can avoid it and probably will do so. But others can't.

It's very, very hard to know what it's like to have a high needs baby if you haven't had one. I've said this a lot recently, but it's just so easy to say, "I would never do that" if you haven't been in that situation. I doubt that there are very few mothers in this world that would drug their children because they simply can't be inconvenienced to care for them when they're fussy.

I do agree that the women who wrote the Daily Mail article is absolutely and utterly disgraceful, i also read how she slaps her 14 year old etc.

But like the girls said, interesting points were raised. In paticular how anti child places are becoming.

She drugs her child for peace and quiet, did you read the list of side effects that drugs has and then topped with hitting her kids to show them who is boss., She sounds like a horrible person. And indeed the daily fail promotes a lot of child hate. They do love parents like her. She hits her 3 year old for lack of sense. So yeah I think shes an awful parent.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...orrified-But-I-slap-14-year-old-daughter.html

She drugs her child for peace and quiet, did you read the list of side effects that drugs has and then topped with hitting her kids to show them who is boss., She sounds like a horrible person. And indeed the daily fail promotes a lot of child hate. They do love parents like her. She hits her 3 year old for lack of sense. So yeah I think shes an awful parent.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...orrified-But-I-slap-14-year-old-daughter.html

I think your hostility is misplaced. I agree with you DF.

Not towards you I was reading other comments after and explaining all in one. But I know you know I wasnt meaning hostility towards you, or any one but her really. :blush:

Not towards you I was reading other comments after and explaining all in one. But I know you know I wasnt meaning hostility towards you, or any one but her really. :blush:
Her other articles drive me insane. I want to kill her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->