Drugging babies to fly..

Poor parenting :rofl: Really? Oh wait, why am I surprised? I should've known it would get said. My bad.

Ridiculous.

Full disclosure: I am totally sitting at my computer, eating brownie batter, reading this thread like it is a telenovela. Best stress relief from work, ever! :haha:
And now on to the topic-
Not to overstate the obvious here, but if you're a responsible parent you will likely try your kid out on the medication prior to flying.
^Yes, this.^

I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I imagine it's very easy to judge if you've never had a high needs baby. Not all babies are created equal.
^this, too^

I just posted about how my daughter is so easily stimulated that she frequently does not sleep. She was born awake (unmedicated birth, less you think it was drug related) and then she stayed awake for almost 48 hours, much to the DR.s and nurses consternation. We have spent the first year of her life chained to her sleep needs. We are not doing anything wrong, this is not about not being able to 'control' her, this is just who she is.

We will be flying soon (6-8 hour flight) to see her dying grandpa. Plus travel time, I can predict that she won't be able to sleep for at least 12 hours because I won't be able to replicate her routine at the airport/ in the air. I will do anything I have to do to make the trip comfortable for her. Hell, I'll even publicly nurse her, which I have been too shy to do thus far :blush:. If that ends up meaning drugs, I will consider drugs. I do not think it is healthy for her to be distressed for the duration of the travel.
And, to quote Noelle: I'm probably going to regret saying this, but...I am in the camp that it is not appropriate for my baby to affect everyone else's trip/movie/meal. It is cruel to make her suffer through it and it is cruel (and rude)to make the other passengers suffer, too

I can basically eat whatever I want and not gain weight. That doesn't mean I go around exclaiming that heavier folks lack in self control. Just because you don't experience something personally doesn't mean you can't have empathy. It's called perspective.

Now, can we start a fight about how Noelle gets to eat whatever she wants? :haha:

yes shame on Noelle for eating ANYTHING!!! UGH!!

I read a study that claims Noelle is the b****** offspring of Dr. Sears and Mother Theresa. Just one more reason to hate...

I havent done it yet but as she gets older i definately would consider it. I live in australia and my parents live in brazil, that equals 30 hours of flying each way!!!!!!! A young baby is easier to handle (we flew at 9 months and 12 months without drugging) but honestly if we were to fly now i would struggle, and so would she.

I used to be drugged for flying as a kid. My mum would drug me, my sister, and our two poodles that would fly in the cabin with us. It was great. I would fall asleep and wake up at destination, instead of getting super anxious, super bored, and super restless.

Full disclosure: I am totally sitting at my computer, eating brownie batter, reading this thread like it is a telenovela. Best stress relief from work, ever! :haha:
And now on to the topic-
Not to overstate the obvious here, but if you're a responsible parent you will likely try your kid out on the medication prior to flying.
^Yes, this.^

I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I imagine it's very easy to judge if you've never had a high needs baby. Not all babies are created equal.
^this, too^

I just posted about how my daughter is so easily stimulated that she frequently does not sleep. She was born awake (unmedicated birth, less you think it was drug related) and then she stayed awake for almost 48 hours, much to the DR.s and nurses consternation. We have spent the first year of her life chained to her sleep needs. We are not doing anything wrong, this is not about not being able to 'control' her, this is just who she is.

We will be flying soon (6-8 hour flight) to see her dying grandpa. Plus travel time, I can predict that she won't be able to sleep for at least 12 hours because I won't be able to replicate her routine at the airport/ in the air. I will do anything I have to do to make the trip comfortable for her. Hell, I'll even publicly nurse her, which I have been too shy to do thus far :blush:. If that ends up meaning drugs, I will consider drugs. I do not think it is healthy for her to be distressed for the duration of the travel.
And, to quote Noelle: I'm probably going to regret saying this, but...I am in the camp that it is not appropriate for my baby to affect everyone else's trip/movie/meal. It is cruel to make her suffer through it and it is cruel (and rude)to make the other passengers suffer, too

I can basically eat whatever I want and not gain weight. That doesn't mean I go around exclaiming that heavier folks lack in self control. Just because you don't experience something personally doesn't mean you can't have empathy. It's called perspective.

Now, can we start a fight about how Noelle gets to eat whatever she wants? :haha:

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! My DD barely slept during our two day hospital stay. The staff thought it was insane. First they gave her a pacifier in the nursery without our permission, which is against their policy. She was so fussy they just couldn't handle it. Then they moved her in with me permanently because she wouldn't sleep and was disturbing the other babies. I know most newborns have a sleepy period before they fully wake up, but not mine.

One of the very first pictures my husband posted of Charlotte on facebook was titled "Is it midnight? Cuz I don't f*ckin care".

Haha everytime I look at Alex's newborn pictures, he has wide beady eyes. I think back and go "oh lord, stimulating him with a flash, that sure helped"...

When Philippe was born I kept staring at him and actually thought "why are you sleeping????"

I am 50/50 on this subject. As a passenger not a mother yet, I do expect a certain amount of noise and such when flying because of kids (and have bose headphones just for it) but when kids are kicking and pulling your seat ( i have long hair and it can get pulled and such when they reach between the seats too) and screaming and all around lbored and fussy I'd kill for their
parents to give em a bit of benadryl.

It is hell for 300+ people to have their ears ringing from a child for a long flight. But I'd hope it would be
used as a last resort. And I'd prefer
to have a parent be prepaired for the 5-12 hour flights and bring things to amuse the kids during that time.

But if there is nothing else that will
help you with your child, plz drug
em or dont fly till they are old enough to understand flight behavior.

Haha well think of how the parents feel if you feel like that.

I'm flying with lo in September and I'm slightly dreading it I for one would be a tad stressed if he decided to have a paddy never mind the passengers! However he is very content so I hope this carrys on when he flys! But would I drug him I'm not sure? If he completely freaked out and was distraught then yes I would!

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! My DD barely slept during our two day hospital stay. The staff thought it was insane. First they gave her a pacifier in the nursery without our permission, which is against their policy. She was so fussy they just couldn't handle it. Then they moved her in with me permanently because she wouldn't sleep and was disturbing the other babies. I know most newborns have a sleepy period before they fully wake up, but not mine.

One of the very first pictures my husband posted of Charlotte on facebook was titled "Is it midnight? Cuz I don't f*ckin care".

Haha, Elsie was the same way! She spent almost the entire hospital stay awake and screaming. It was normal for babies to stay in the room with moms at my hospital but the nurses felt so bad for me that when they took her to poke her heel they offered to keep her for a bit so that I could get some rest. I left the hospital crying myself I was so exhausted and stressed out already :wacko:

Haha, Elsie was the same way! She spent almost the entire hospital stay awake and screaming. It was normal for babies to stay in the room with moms at my hospital but the nurses felt so bad for me that when they took her to poke her heel they offered to keep her for a bit so that I could get some rest. I left the hospital crying myself I was so exhausted and stressed out already :wacko:

I seriously still feel traumatized from the hospital stay. The staff did nothing wrong, but I felt like I had been rocketed into the 4th dimension with these crazy, screaming newborn! I thought babies were sweet and sleepy.

I seriously still feel traumatized from the hospital stay. The staff did nothing wrong, but I felt like I had been rocketed into the 4th dimension with these crazy, screaming newborn! I thought babies were sweet and sleepy.

Yep, I feel ya, and that was only the beginning too :haha: Just thinking about those first few days is the best birth control ever!

surely that article must be a joke?
i would not drug my children if they have pain from ears popping i would use something non drowsy.
its just seems like parents that do that are just lazy and cant be bothered to have activites ready for their children. how difficult is it really to have some colouring books or small games.

i would not drug my children if they have pain from ears popping i would use something non drowsy.
its just seems like parents that do that are just lazy and cant be bothered to have activites ready for their children. how difficult is it really to have some colouring books or small games.

I suspect you didn't read the entire thread :haha:

We're not talking about drugging a child because they're fussy, but because they are prone to anxiety and overstimulation and may find the experience difficult as a result.

https://www.unitrends.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/torches-and-pitchforks.jpg​

so whether I drug my child because he or she is so upset that he or she is vomiting all over the place...eyes will roll. Hmmm should I give my son my tablet...oh wait that's a bad lazy parent too!!! YOU FUCKING CAN'T WIN! lol

Seriously those that call us bad parents because we can't control the behavior of a high needs baby need to have one yourself...THEN we can talk!

You're also a bad mom if your baby chokes on the crayon given :rofl:

You can't win with a high needs baby in this situation.

Drugging your child = judegement on your parenting

A screaming, vomitting baby = judgement on your parenting

So true, Noelle! When Abby was younger we were at a restaurant and she was having an absolute meltdown, we were getting the evil-eye from the couple beside us, so I started to nurse her...and then they looked at me as though I was absolutely disgusting for nursing her! I wanted to shout "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME????" :haha:

I guess those of us with fussy little ones just aren't supposed to leave the house ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->