Due in June 2014!(88 sunflowers), 37 (blue), 24 (pink), (48) here!

Had my 12 weeks scan but unfortunately the scan in combination with the screening blood test has put me at high risk (1 in 50) of Down's. Nuchal translucency was 3.2. Got an appointment with genetics service tomorrow morning to discuss further testing etc.

Other than that scan was good, everything else looks normal and baby measuring to dates.

Wish I didn't have to do all this in a foreign language.

Had my 12 weeks scan but unfortunately the scan in combination with the screening blood test has put me at high risk (1 in 50) of Down's. Nuchal translucency was 3.2. Got an appointment with genetics service tomorrow morning to discuss further testing etc.

Other than that scan was good, everything else looks normal and baby measuring to dates.

:hugs: the odds are still on your side Jo, hope your appointment goes well x

:hugs: the odds are still on your side Jo, hope your appointment goes well x

Thanks. I just keep thinking back to edward's cystic hygroma that was missed in pregnancy - I am so thankful for that as they are so often bad news that it would have stressed me out so much. ever since he had that diagnosed & I googled I have been convinced I'd get high nuchal measurements...

So sorry about the screening test results. With dd, I had a 1 in 53 chance of Down Syndrome and I was scared to death. I declined an amnio after a follow up ultrasound revealed that dd had no soft markers for DS so I didn't want to risk it but the fear was still there. She ended up not having it. In the U.S. they now have a non-invasive blood test to test for DS that is over 99 percent accurate in detecting it, so I hope you have that option where you're at.

Just remember that the vast majority of women who get a positive screen go on to have babies that do not have DS. It is only a screening test. However, in order to find those small number of women who have babies with DS, they have to draw on a larger pool of women who don't but have certain abnormalities in their blood testing that fit the DS profile. The ultimate goal of this type of screen is to reduce the number of women who have to get amnios because they are costly and carry a small risk of miscarriage. In the U.S., they are gradually phasing out this blood screening test in favor of the new genetic blood test and hopefully the rest of the world will follow soon.

Also remember that if they didn't detect any other markers for DS and if your baby is measuring where s/he should for dates then it's unlikely that there's anything wrong. Doctors have gotten much better at detecting the signs of DS via ultrasound.

Again, so sorry you have to go through this. When it happened to me, it ruined my whole pregnancy so I hate to hear other women having to go through it.

I have a cousin who was born with Downs Syndrome by surprised. My aunt didn't have the NT test done so it wasn't detected. He has a lot of problems with his hips, but he is the happiest and sweetest 3 year old you will ever meet. People who know him are changed forever just from his attitude and the love this little boy brings out from everyone he touches.

Having a child with DS is costly, time consuming and stressful, but as my aunt says, it is worth it all. I refuse genetic testing and my NT scan because nothing any test will say would make me feel any different about my child-to-be.

Wishing you the best of luck joeyjo

I was just reading and it says that a measurement under 3.5 is normal! Is it just in combination with the bloods and your age then? Xx

2.5 - 3.5 is a grey area apparently. Over 3.5 would be worrying even with completely normal bloods.

George's was about 2.4 I think. I'm not sure I had it done with Ed, I can't remember it anyway.

Just reading full report - despite telling me verbally that everything else was fine they have written in the report that the nasal bone wasn't able to be assessed :cry:

2.5 - 3.5 is a grey area apparently. Over 3.5 would be worrying even with completely normal bloods.

George's was about 2.4 I think. I'm not sure I had it done with Ed, I can't remember it anyway.

Just reading full report - despite telling me verbally that everything else was fine they have written in the report that the nasal bone wasn't able to be assessed :cry:

DONT panic could've just been position. I know it's hard, but you've had concerning scans with this baby before and they've turned out to he worry over nothing! Hopefully everything will be explained better at your appointment and you'll have a better idea of what the next step is. You should talk to our group too, xx

DONT panic could've just been position. I know it's hard, but you've had concerning scans with this baby before and they've turned out to he worry over nothing! Hopefully everything will be explained better at your appointment and you'll have a better idea of what the next step is. You should talk to our group too, xx

Good points!! I understand that the nasal bones are often difficult to find and a lot depends on how the baby cooperates. Maybe this is why they didn't mention it to you during the scan.

I hope you can get further testing and hopefully peace of mind as soon as possible. Nothing worse than worrying about your baby!

I understand about the mother in law drama. I've had my fair share with mine. She didn't like me right off the bat because I am not religious, and she very much is. My husband and I moved in together before we were married, and that was a huge issue for her. The worst was when my husband got cancer. She didn't agree with the ways we handled it, took over at the appointments, so much so we had to stop telling her when they were so she couldn't come. My husband and I both are the type that don't want to discuss things a bunch, don't want to make a big deal out of things, and she didn't respect that at all and was constantly trying to offer advice and tell us what to do. I remember one appointment I didn't go to, because my husband told me he didn't want me to come, and she said I was a bad wife for not going. ><

I totally understand what you're saying about respecting your parenting too. I don't have kids yet, but I see how she is about my niece and nephew. I worry a lot about the religion aspect too. I know she'll insist on taking my kids to church and talking to them about religion, when I don't want that at all.

joeyjo: Sorry about the stress with the scan! Just remember that while 1 in 50 sounds bad, it's really only a 2% chance. More then likely everything will be perfectly fine.

I'm so nervous for my scan! Even though I heard the hb yesterday! It's not even 8am yet and my scan isn't til 2pm! Today is going to drag!

You so lucky your scan is today! I have over 48 hours to go! Its going to all be okay! Don't stress!

I went to the doctor and my due date has changed.. I am not longer in the sunflower group... Baby is due July 4th! Thanks for everything! Good Luck to you all!! Ill see you soon on the 2nd trimester board!

Just a rant :dohh:
So ok was waiting all this time for someone to finally call me about my scan and still nothing :growlmad: ( they we're suppose to call my Monday the latest )
So I called the hospital ( where my OB is ) and they told me they don't do that and gave me another number , there they told me I am suppose to have special scan and they don't do that and gave me another number , there they kept telling me someone tried to reach me and could ( which is not true - no missed call , no voicemail ) and after what seemed like ages they finally gave the number for the clinic where I am suppose to have the scan and there they told me that's weird that no one called and I was suppose to have the scan already and they rescheduled to Monday dec.9th :dohh:
I am so mad ! I was suppose to have the scan last week ( this week the latest ) :growlmad:
And on top of it we are going to visit my oh 's best friend for a weekend and they already kept asking me over the thanksgiving if I am pregnant and oh wants to wait after scan :dohh:
Also this is suppose to be dating scan which should be done by 12 weeks of preg. The latest and I am going to be 13+2 :coffee:
I was so excited and now I have to wait for another 6 days :cry:
Why do I have to wait for everything so long ? It's killing me :cry:

Also this is suppose to be dating scan which should be done by 12 weeks of preg. The latest and I am going to be 13+2 :coffee:
I was so excited and now I have to wait for another 6 days :cry:
Why do I have to wait for everything so long ? It's killing me :cry:

caaaaaaaaaalm... i was 13+1 at my scan and they were able to date it just fine :)

i understand the frustration, really i do. i'd had 3 scans with DS by this time and we've only had the one with minion! i'd also ask for proof they tried to contact you, and complain if they cannot provide evidence.

I went to the doctor and my due date has changed.. I am not longer in the sunflower group... Baby is due July 4th! Thanks for everything! Good Luck to you all!! Ill see you soon on the 2nd trimester board!

Sorry to see you go. But it's nice you're baby is a July Jellybean now :winkwink:

I'm going to have my NT scan on the 16th. The tech said it would take a long time. She said like over an hour. I can't imagine. Why would it take that long?

Proudmomma, I've been told my scan isn't til the 12th when I'll be almost 14 weeks! I was also told that I'd have it as soon as I turned 12 weeks due to my bleed so I'm very angry about it. U fortunately there's no earlier ones though so I just have to wait it out :(. Counting down the days x

I'm going to have my NT scan on the 16th. The tech said it would take a long time. She said like over an hour. I can't imagine. Why would it take that long?

I had mine on Monday.. I was probably there an hour. The scan itself didn't take that long, but the whole appointment did. Maybe that's what they mean? You have to drink a lot of water before and wait for your bladder to be full. Then the scan, which was maybe 20 minutes? They do the ultrasound then take pics from all different angles and measure stuff. Then I had to wait and do a blood test, then talk to a PA about what the results mean when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->