Dummies... Yay or nay?

like hell id give my baby one! id rather find out why theyre screaming and sort that out than shove a germ covered, tooth bucking, speech impairing plastic thing in their mouths. :)

Um... I don't really think that's appropriate lol those of us that use dummies don't just use them because we can't be bothered finding out what's wrong with our children. Many, including me, substitued bottles/boob as our LO's found sucking a comfort thing but couldn't feed them 24/7 :)

agreed!

I know but there will be people that read your opinion and get offended, like I said, no right or wrong answer to this question. But yes, I do understand that some are very against it for whatever reason and I don't have a problem with that, each to their own!

ok i'll elaborate....

child asleep quite happy with dummy in... child wakes up screaming. parent says oh shove dummy in it'll go back to sleep / shut up and parent continues to ignore baby... WTF! i live on a scummy council estate where most parents are either drunk or drugged up to bother with their kids and use dummies to make their child silent so they can continue to go about their dealing/ injecting whatever they do all day. they have babies to get money for their habits . when us parents who arent into that kinda crap report parents like that, soc services just say oh we're too busy. (i live in doncaster, google doncaster soc serv im sure you'll have some fun reading). oh and this estates rife with ppl who when babies drop dummies on street they lick it and put back in babies mouth. OMG how revolting!

oh and round here playgroups and sure start centres wont let a child (toddling age +) in if its got a dummy in. they have to hang their dummies on a dummy hook if they wont give to parent. wassat about? surely thats gonna get germ covered just hangin there on a hook on a wall? cant be sanitary.....

Mark as never had one and tbh I'm glad he didn't take to it because I don't like the look of them. But I did offer one because he was constantly feeding for about 4 weeks and the MW and all said he couldn't be hungry all the time, but it turns oout he was just hungry ALL the time.

ok i'll elaborate....

child asleep quite happy with dummy in... child wakes up screaming. parent says oh shove dummy in it'll go back to sleep / shut up and parent continues to ignore baby... WTF! i live on a scummy council estate where most parents are either drunk or drugged up to bother with their kids and use dummies to make their child silent so they can continue to go about their dealing/ injecting whatever they do all day. they have babies to get money for their habits . when us parents who arent into that kinda crap report parents like that, soc services just say oh we're too busy. (i live in doncaster, google doncaster soc serv im sure you'll have some fun reading). oh and this estates rife with ppl who when babies drop dummies on street they lick it and put back in babies mouth. OMG how revolting!

oh and round here playgroups and sure start centres wont let a child (toddling age +) in if its got a dummy in. they have to hang their dummies on a dummy hook if they wont give to parent. wassat about? surely thats gonna get germ covered just hangin there on a hook on a wall? cant be sanitary.....

I do see where you're coming from but like I said before we don't all shove dummies in to shut our babies up and it is a little unfair for you to compare that with scummy drugheads off an estate lol I don't like seeing toddlers with dummies in but my daughter has one now and she has no problem chatting and her teeth are fine. If she didn't have a dummy she would suck her thumb and you can't just take a thumb off a child... sorry if what I'm saying sounds bitchy, I'm not in the best of moods!

None of my babies took to a dummy. I could have probably tried harder, but the way I see it it was one less habit to break later on. LOL

i do c what u mean there! but dummies are used too easily to shut up a baby whos in need but gets a dummy rammed in its mouth instead iygwim?

like hell id give my baby one! id rather find out why theyre screaming and sort that out than shove a germ covered, tooth bucking, speech impairing plastic thing in their mouths. :)

Oh you're so charming!

Id like to adress your points though:

Germ covered: What, straight out of a steraliser? Must be some pretty tough germs there!

Tooth bukcing: Actually, you get specially made dummmies for orthodontic development that don't affect the way teeth grow.

Speech impairing: Well, it can happen to some children but not everyone lets their kids have dummies at 2.

Why they're screaming: 99% of babies have a suck reflex, and comfort suck when there is NOTHING else wrong with them.

I have got some but Ella hasnt really needed it, the health visitor suggested it as a while ago she seems to just want to suck on her bottle then choke or throw up and thought she was a 'sucker' but that seems to have stopped. When she starts teething I may need them though as apparently the dummy helps them distract from the pain and you can freeze them to soothe the gums!

we shall see!

defo no right or wrong with dummys if they are clean lol (when i saw the title i murmered a little uh-oh to myself ha ha - the dreaded dummy debate)

xxx

ok i'll elaborate....

I am not on drugs. I am not an alcoholic. I have given my kids a dummy but not to shut them up.

Thank you for grouping everyone who uses a dummy in the same outrageous sweeping generalisation.

I didnt use a dummy. Niamh won't take one, though she does comfort BF instead sometimes, and suck her thumb.

And would you elaborate on your thoughts on thumb and finger sucking too please so we can clarify your point?

ok i'll elaborate....

I am not on drugs. I am not an alcoholic. I have given my kids a dummy but not to shut them up.

Thank you for grouping everyone who uses a dummy in the same outrageous sweeping generalisation.

Agree

I can see the point that some parents do misuse the dummy. But that's not everyone.

I've experienced my breastfed babies using me as a dummy (comfort sucking) and I do wish that they had taken to one.

However, there is nothing wrong with a dummy as long as it is used appropriately.

ok i'll elaborate....

I don't give Caitlyn my dummy but I shove my boob in her mouth for comfort. I can only assume dummies are used in the same way and I'm not an alcoholic druggy because I use sucking to soothe my baby.

I can see the point that some parents do misuse the dummy. But that's not everyone.

I've experienced my breastfed babies using me as a dummy (comfort sucking) and I do wish that they had taken to one.

However, there is nothing wrong with a dummy as long as it is used appropriately.

I feel the same!

Oliver has a dummy as for the first month he was on the boob continuously, he was just comfort sucking as others have said.

I too am not a council house druggy. And i do still give him the boob if he wants comfort rather than just 'shoving' a dummy in his mouth.

Like others have said there is no problem with using a dummy aslong as its used appropriately.

I sucked on my thumb so much that it got infected. And when it got infected the doctor wrapped it up, I crued the whole night begging people to unwrap it so my sister felt sorry for me and unwrapped it.

I was 3 years old and shoved that infected thumb straight back into my mouth. :sick:

I didn't want that with Lola + various other reasons caused me to give her a dummy from a very eary age.

I'm not a council house druggie not a drunk.
I never just 'shove' it in her mouth to shut her up, ever! I always got up with her in the middle of the night to attend to her.
The dummies are always clean and sterilized and I do not lick them...ewww.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->