Dummies... Yay or nay?

I'm not a fan of dummies. We haven't bought any and so far (touch wood) Jack has shown no need for one. He is a bit sucky sometimes, but usually only when he is genuinely hungry. He sucks his thumbs and fingers, which I prefer to dummies - his hands get wiped pretty regularly and besides, babies need a few germs if their immune systems are going to be any use to them!

Hopefully without offending anyone, I can say generally why I'm not a fan. They can lead to lazy parenting, no they don't always, but it can be easy to let the dummy become the default, rather than finding out why a baby is crying. I'd rather not have them around, just so that it eliminates that possibility.

Also, they can interfere with language development when used at bed time to soothe/in fear of SIDS. Babies are practising making sounds long before they are producing any words and one of the key times they do this is when settling themselves in their crib/cot etc. If they have a dummy in their mouth they can't babble.

One theory as to why they might help prevent SIDS is that they may prevent babies entering the deepest stage of sleep. Everyone needs to get that deep sleep, including babies. I think it's better to let young babies figure out how to soothe themselves to sleep, rather than relying on a prop for sucky babies. It could be a very hard habit to break later.

They can also cause nipple confusion for BF babies, so are best avoided in the first month-six weeks.

Ah.... Greggs as in the bakers shop. I imagine they sell crack pipes in there too....:dohh:
nah. i dont think they like to take away business from the locals.... and its too obvious... sayin that theres something addictive about the chicken pasties....

Ah.... Greggs as in the bakers shop. I imagine they sell crack pipes in there too....:dohh:
nah. i dont think they like to take away business from the locals.... and its too obvious... sayin that theres something addictive about the chicken pasties....

And there's me thinking that's why the queues were so long :lol:

yeah..... mmmmmm. u seen that new greggs advert with paddy n the dog? had to chuckle.

Kieran had a dummy, Paige wouldn't take one but sucks her thumb instead!! :dohh:

I really wish she had taken to a dummy at least i can take that away!!

Oh and my children love there greggs sausage rolls everytime we go town :)

And there's me thinking that's why the queues were so long :lol:

nah must be the pasties..... they beat the other shops' pasties hands down.

Kieran had a dummy, Paige wouldn't take one but sucks her thumb instead!! :dohh:

tut tut....:lol:

I'm not really a fan of pacifiers but there were times I tried very hard to get him to take one. Flat out refused. I was so glad when he found his fingers - he started self-soothing himself to sleep on his own then.

You're clearly a crack whore :rofl:

We use a sucky here. The nurse recommend one at birth because H was so sucky :rofl: She only uses it once in awhile now, doesn't seem too interested.

Iv taken Oscars off him today, As he got thrush .. Bless his cotton socks.

Rocco's never had one, never needed one. It's personal choice though

Nay.I'm not a big fan at all

I can see why people use them and that is their own personal preference.I do feel though that after 2 years of age it may a bit to much.

My kids self soothe in their own way.The older 2 had a teddy they snuggled in to.And my younger 2 suck their thumbs.Which I don't mind as I'm very hygeinec (sp).

I did feel with the last 2 I needed to do something and the thought of a dummy did cross my mind as they were constantly on the boob but they have settled now and get them selves off to sleep unaided.

I can see what icculcaz means but I don't agree with the way it was said.I see a lot of young mums from that type of background using dummies and I must admit some of the time i think it's so they get an easy life and they may not have the patience as some of us have to try other methods.

We all do things for a reason and shouldn't be judged for any of it.It's our own personal preferences x

Marlie had a dummy from the get go as I read that it's a natural need for them to want to suck something. She took it for about 3 months and then gave it up herself. Now she only takes other kids but she won't take one if I give it to her! :doh:

Gave Grady a paci when he was about a week and a half old... had no choice because he wanted to comfort suck my nipples all day!
SOOO glad I got him the paci or I'd probably be going crazy right about now!!!

Elyse has one.. she doesn't have it all the time, only to help her fall asleep/settle her when she's screaming sometimes, she makes the cutest noises with it too!

I don't want her to suck her thumb.. she already tries.. but I can't take her thumb away, I can take the soother away!!

Lexie's had her dummy since she was born.

She settles better with it.

I don't give it her much during the day, but she always has it for bed.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->