Dummy/Paci Users

x-amy-x

Mammy
Reaction score
When did you wean your baby off the dummy? Not sure when or how to wean Caitlyn off hers, she doesn't have it much in the day. Only for naps.

But i want it gone for good. I think she's old enough to go without it now.

Any tips welcome xx

im thinking this too....im going to wean maley off when her teeth start coming.....she doesnt have it much anyway

Hebe went cold turkey just over a week ago and doesnt seem to have noticed!! In fact I swear she's going to sleep easier :dohh:

Emily had hers till she was 2 for bed only. I weaned her off it slowly but I never let her just trot about with it - it was for naps only.

Both ways worked as both babes were different...I kept one for Hebe just in case but I've just thrown it away this afteroon since learning Greggs have started doing them if I get stuck ;)

Jasmine barely uses hers now... she was never a huge dummy user... but over the past month she is busy enough with other things.

I think around this age is a good one. Sometimes waiting too late makes it harder because she become attached to it.

i think ur an awful horible person for ever giving ur baby a dummy how dare you! i bet u sell crack dont u?

Jake was 3 and sent his to santa ....katie didnt want it after 6 months and ethan is two and keeps his in his bed x

ive been weaning logan off his dummy for last month i started slowly as he had it most of time, he just used it as a comfort sorta thing all the time, without ut hed be miserable n cuddly, i first went cold turkey through the days , only gave it him for naps and sleep, he took to this well, we had the odd moments of screaming and its taken about a month for me to feel like hes ready to get rid a night, but i know this is gonna be tuffy lol, nights of screaming , but im determined as i thinks its causing more problems at night with ive dropped my dummy 'scream' . im just going to take it straight of him xx

I really wasn't in a hurry to get them off, it was the only things my kids attached to so i didn't want to take it beforeI felt they were actually ready..not what other people thought. With Landon we just took his cold turkey at 13mo, he did fine, he really wasn't that attached and was fine without it, he asked a couple times but within 3 day he didn't care at all. Casen was REALLY attached to his, so we didn't push it, we finally took it cold turkey right after he turned 2. We had tried taking it about 18mo and he was really upset by it, we got it away for about a week but he wasn't sleeping well and then he got sick and was just miserable so we gave it back to help comfort him, we just felt he wasn't ready since it was his only comfort thing. After we did take it he replaced it with his puppy and now at 4 still sleeps with it. Hayden is 19mo today...he still has his. He just weaned himself from nursing over this past month and didn't start sleeping through the night until 15mo and we still have trouble at times if things are off for him during the day so I know if we took it right now it would be hell and he just isn't ready to be without it, he's gone thrugh alot of changes over the past couple months so we areoing to wait until we feel is ready to give it up and we will just take it then. It will def happen within a couple months of him turning 2 if not before then

Nicole had hers till she was 3 and left all hers out for santa to take away.

we are on day 3 of weaning. ffion has only had her dummy once today when she went down for her nap and it has stayed in her cot all day.

we are also weaning her off her blankie at the same time

I keep thinking I should wean Alasdair off his but I think he is too attached to it for it to be easy. He only has it for naps and sleep generally tho. Occasionally if he starts whinging in his buggy. I'll probably wait to wean him off it completely until he is talking and is old enough to understand what I'm saying about him not having it anymore.

I wasnt thinking of attempting it any time soon tbh?!

but ive seen on tv programmes that the dummy fairy is a good one :)

I don't know when I'll stop megans but she only uses it in middle of night for like ten minutes to help her go back to sleep! SIL 14 month old has his constantly and paddys big time when it's taken away x

on a more serious note, more or less every kid i know has just weaned them self off it, apart from a few, micheala had hers till she was about 3 or 4! :rofl: if charlie doesnt wean him self off it im just gunna wait untill hes old enuff too leave them for santa, or trade them in for a toy at toys r us!?

I made Dec go cold turkey at 14 months, within a week he had totally forgotten about it, the first 2 nights where the worst. but after that it was plain sailing xx Just cuz I took it away doesnt make me any less of a crack whore !!!! Lol

Lilly still has hers :blush: but only for naps, soon she'll be coming off it completely

I am eager to get Caitlyn off it purely because the grandparents have very opposed views on dummies, the in-laws think they are disgusting and my parents shove a dummy in regardless of whether she needs it or not. For best, i think she can do without it. She only really has it for naps (if its down to me) I don't even give it at bed time, she's that tired, she goes to sleep on her own.

x

ok ill tell you how ive been doing it.

firstly i changed her dummys.. she likes the old version of the tommee tippee cherry dummy (the ones that they dont sell now) 0-6 months. so i changed her dummies to the new version of the same cherry dummy but in 6-12 months. she doesnt like these new dummies which is great because when given the choice of the dummy or nothing during the day she chooses nothing.

i also stopped putting her dummy on a clip. once it falls out of her mouth whilst she is playing then i swipe it up and put it on the mantle peice. she then forgets all about it, whereas if it is clipped to her then she sees it and pops it in her mouth

i haven't thought about weaning maddi yet :blush: for us i think i'll wait till she's ready! hope shes not 14! oh gosh i'm a crack whore!

seriously though amy - the whole dummy fairy is good, but maybe caitlyn is a little young for that, i read about cutting the teat down the middle and then giving it too them, it means they get no pleasure from sucking it, and are, supposedly meant to just give it up! do let us no how you do though cos i'll be needing tips at some point :D x x

ok ill tell you how ive been doing it.

firstly i changed her dummys.. she likes the old version of the tommee tippee cherry dummy (the ones that they dont sell now) 0-6 months. so i changed her dummies to the new version of the same cherry dummy but in 6-12 months. she doesnt like these new dummies which is great because when given the choice of the dummy or nothing during the day she chooses nothing.

i also stopped putting her dummy on a clip. once it falls out of her mouth whilst she is playing then i swipe it up and put it on the mantle peice. she then forgets all about it, whereas if it is clipped to her then she sees it and pops it in her mouth

what great ideas tezzy! i will be remembering when we do it :D x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->