Early.. but who is not planning to circumcise?

I just checked the stats and the circumcision rate in Canada as of 2005 is 9.2%. It is not recommended by the heath boards and is not covered by any government heath plans.

Maybe it's just how i'm influenced by my country or society but I would absolutely have my son (if it's another boy) circumsized. My son was and while I thought about it, the only reason I didn't want him to was due to the pain and I'd much rather him go thru it at a young age than later in his life.

If you feel you are doing right by your child having them circumsised as a result of your beliefs then who is anyone to tell you that you are wrong?

It is a personal decision for each individial so there can be no right or wrong answer on this one.

Must say Ive never really understood why people would put their child through it, if it isnt for Medical or Religious reasons. For those of you saying its for prevention in later life, thats like saying I'll get my childrens breasts removed now in case they get Breast Cancer in the future- i just dont get it.

It truly is a personal decision and like polo_princess said there is no right or wrong so really can the 'i don't know why people would put their child thru that' business stop. It is not similar to botox or a boob job. A parent thinks they are doing their child best in either case.

Bot it SHOULDNT be a personal decision- it should be the childs decision, when he is old enough to decide for himself. Im not against the actual procedure if its what that person chooses, I just dont think its our place to do it for them xxxxx

Bot it SHOULDNT be a personal decision- it should be the childs decision, when he is old enough to decide for himself. Im not against the actual procedure if its what that person chooses, I just dont think its our place to do it for them xxxxx

You may not think it should be but unfortunatley it is ... i dont think anyone should be told they are wrong for following their beliefs or religion, just because it isnt what you believe.

I already said in my previous post, if it ISNT for medical or religious reasons

Yes I am not against it for medical or religious reasons but am against those who do it for cosmetic reasons or because thats what the majority do.

I think it is a parent's decision to make. My nephew was not circumsized for the reasons everyone mentioned, although circumcision has pretty much been the norm here in the states in the past. My sister thought it was unnecessary, etc. I have to agree with her. My husband and I have talked about it and researched it and we are not going to circumcise our son (if we have a boy). I think alot of people in the states are becoming more educated about this and the numbers of uncircumcised men will increase over time (especially if only around 50% of people are circumcizing their sons currently). There will always be the people who disagree with this but I think the fact that circumcision is the rarity and not the norm in so many other countries just speaks volumes about the way most Americans are brainwashed into thinking certain medical procedures are "necessary". This is obviously not necessary. This is an optional surgery that some parents choose to have done. That's how I feel about it.

LOL - My husband just said "of course it would be more sensitive" referring to the foreskin... and "women are so dumb on that issue" lol... of course we are, since we don't have penises. lol

Thanks for all of your input, ladies. It is interesting to see so many different takes on one topic.

I will try to convince my husband to see things my way, but I may lose this battle as I am not totally opposed to the idea. I just think it isn't necessary anymore, if indeed it ever was. I agree that we tend to cram unproven or outdated medical ideas down people's throats in the U.S. - there is so much out there that I wish we were better educated about as a society when it comes to medicine.

Anyway. We will see what happens if we have a boy.

Ok, not to beat a dead horse, but I found a little more information about this that has helped reassure me about my decision not to circumcise...

"Circumcision is a painful operation. If a baby boy needs to be circumcised, he will usually be given a local anaesthetic because it is safer than using a general anaesthetic. Local anaesthetic is a numbing medicine that can be injected into the base, or shaft, of the penis, or applied as a cream. Older children and adults who are circumcised are normally given a full, general anaesthetic."

If my son does want or need to be circumcised later (in the unlikely event that he gets an infection or something like that), he can have it done under a full anaesthetic. At least I don't have to feel guilty about submitting him to unnecessary pain and anguish as an infant.

Also, my husband informed me of an extremely barbaric practice in Africa. I had no idea of this, but apparently women over there are circumcised (their clits are cut off) to prevent them from cheating on their husbands!!! That just showed me how nonsensical circumcision is (at least to me). Of course everyone is allowed their own opinion. My mind is made up though.

Good luck with your decisions to everyone who is still undecided! ;)

Don't we always make decisions on behalf on our children?That's what parents do!

Ok, not to beat a dead horse, but I found a little more information about this that has helped reassure me about my decision not to circumcise...

"Circumcision is a painful operation. If a baby boy needs to be circumcised, he will usually be given a local anaesthetic because it is safer than using a general anaesthetic. Local anaesthetic is a numbing medicine that can be injected into the base, or shaft, of the penis, or applied as a cream. Older children and adults who are circumcised are normally given a full, general anaesthetic."

If my son does want or need to be circumcised later (in the unlikely event that he gets an infection or something like that), he can have it done under a full anaesthetic. At least I don't have to feel guilty about submitting him to unnecessary pain and anguish as an infant.

Also, my husband informed me of an extremely barbaric practice in Africa. I had no idea of this, but apparently women over there are circumcised (their clits are cut off) to prevent them from cheating on their husbands!!! That just showed me how nonsensical circumcision is (at least to me). Of course everyone is allowed their own opinion. My mind is made up though.

Good luck with your decisions to everyone who is still undecided! ;)

I took a women's studies class and that is a very common practice with the women's circumcision, they do it as a right of passage about 13-14 yrs old

I took a women's studies class and that is a very common practice with the women's circumcision, they do it as a right of passage about 13-14 yrs old

WOW!!! That is so scary!!! It seems so absurd! I don't know what I would do without my clit. :rofl:

I agree we have to make decisions for our children that are necesarry for their wellbeing but i wouldnt, for example, pierce my babys ears. That would be their choice when they are old enough. I could never put my child through pain if they didnt need to be put through it.

This may be an issue that is more of a debate in the States, where many parents still circumcise baby boys, but I wnted to see what you all thought. If this baby is a boy I don't want to circumcise him. Many/most people in the U.S. aren't doing it anymore and it is not a religious issue for us, but I cannot convince my husband to bend on this. He is insistant that we circumcise because to not do it is "unhealthy and gross". I disagree - that is an old argument that I think has been disproven.

Anyone got any info to help me argue with him?

Have you ever dated a man who was *not* circumcised?

i could not even picture my Oh with no foreskin i think if parents really want it done it should be a private thing they have to pay for but i could never put my child though that i HATED the fact my mum got me christend (sp?) let alone if i was a boy and had a bit of my dong chopped off :blush:

i think it should only be done for medical reasons but thats just my opion

Id have it done to my son...(if I had one ;)) But that is only because that is the "Norm" here in the states. But Now that Im married to my hubby.... he is not done... and if we ever have a son, I would let it be hubbies choice.... and that would be not to have it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->