Early scan baby fine, but have a 6cm cyst on ovary...UPDATE+SCAN PIC

icklemonster

Reaction score
I have just been for an early scan. Baby was measuring 7+1 - we were expecting to be pushed back a few days as I was sure we had a late implanter as we didn't get a BFP until the day of my missed period! The HB was 141 bpm which all looked perfect, in fact identical to Charlotte's early scan at 7+1 (sign of another girl?!)

The problem is the sonographer found a 6cm cyst on my right ovary. 6cm sounds pretty big :wacko: She said it was common and to try not to worry but because it is larger than 5cm, I will need to come back for a free scan in a few weeks to check it has shrunk. This has got me worried, that a private scan place will be giving out free scans so I'm worried it is potentially something bad.

Does anyone else have a cyst? Did it cause any problems? Did it go away on it's own? Did you have any pain? (I haven't felt a thing).

I'll probably post a similar thread in second tri too, as guessing they may have already been through this in first tri xxx

I have read lots about cyst and it's quite common in pregnancy and sometimes they like to keep an eye on it just to make sure it doesn't get to big as if it get's to big they normally like to remove it.
It sometimes can cause a lot of pain to the side that it's on but not always

Glad the baby fine :)

Yes its very common in pregnancy and usually its gone by next scan...some stay until right after birth and disappear. At this point no need for worry :) For the most part cysts are nothing for concern as long as they dont get bigger.

I also have a cyst on my ovary. My doctor said it was my corpus luteum which helps sustain the pregnancy by providing progesterone. Did they mention anything like that to you? x

I also have a cyst on my ovary. My doctor said it was my corpus luteum which helps sustain the pregnancy by providing progesterone. Did they mention anything like that to you? x

No, she said she could tell it was a 'simple' cyst which she said usually rules out anything scary. She said she couldn't tell if it was a result of the pregnancy or had been there before.

Do you know how big yours is?

I had two cysts, one on each ovary that my doctor found at about 11 weeks. They were gone by my 20 week scan, possibly earlier than that I just never asked about them until then. My doctor told me not to worry about them at all, that they were normal and go away on their own. Hang in there! :)

I had a huge painful cyst on my right ovary at my first scan when I was around 6 weeks pregnant. The doctor made note of it, but said it was normal and that it would likely dissipate. I had another scan at 9 weeks and it was all but gone. Hope that helps. :)

The doctor didn't say the size but I had been getting pain on my side and they said that was the reason. They originally suspected ectopic until I had a scan. Have they booked you in for another ultrasound?

I've been told I have to phone on Monday to book another scan for in 4-6 weeks. I'll probably aim for 4 weeks, as guessing the standard NHS one will be 5/6 weeks, then at least I'll be able to see whether the cyst is growing over next few weeks. Just really hoping it doesn't rupture before then as it sounds very painful eek! xxx

Just to update on this, I went along today and the cyst has shrunk to 2cm, so relieved!! :D Baby looks great too xx

ETA Scan Pic:
Bubs first 4d smaller.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"