Early weaning

its 4mths here in ireland unless ur BF then its 6mths but they are thinking of bringing that back to 4mths now

I will be starting to wean my baby in the next couple of weeks, she is currently 18 weeks old. The basis that I am working on is that there are a lot less Mums than Babies that have allergies and I was myself asked to take part in new trials to start weaning early as they now believe that introducing food early could help with food intolerance (unfortunately as I was not exclusively bf I couldn't take part). I am not making this decision lightly and have spoken to my hv as well as researching on the internet so please no negative comments I appreciate everyone has there own ideas on this.

I started to wean two days shy of 20 weeks. It was discussed with the HV who gave the go ahead from 17 weeks but I didn't feel he was ready. Evan has reflux and weaning him certainly helped his reflux and made him much calmer and far less sicky.

I did stay away from gluten and dairy before 6 months (well about a week before actually)

its 4mths here in ireland unless ur BF then its 6mths but they are thinking of bringing that back to 4mths now

I didn't realise Ireland was exempt from the WHO recommondations :wacko:

Thanks to medical technology we now know why early weaning is harmful. Until some time between 4-6 months, the lining of the intestine has little gaps in it. If solids are given earlier than that, the molecules can pass through these holes directly into the bloodstream, increasing the risk of several different health conditions and diseases later in life. Parents may say that they know what is best for their baby, but they cannot actually see inside their baby's body to see if the holes in the gut have closed up. Of course many babies who were weaned early are fine, but there are also many people who suffer health problems as a direct result of early weaning. Early weaning carries a risk of health problems, not a certainty. Hope that answers the original question. :)

From a quick google and I can;t find any official guidelines for Ireland, wouldn't know where to start but an article published a year ago confirms what IcyLou said :)

The WHO recommends exclusive bf until 6 months and then the introduction of solids and what iceylou said was 6 months if you bf and 4 months if not. Since the WHO doesn't make recommendations for formula I would say it sounds like it follows the WHO recommendations to me.

Im not against early weaning if it needs to be done for certain reasons. I also do beliebe mum knows best sometimes but not just about weaning on other situations too. We know only too well with Ellies hip problem. No one would listen when i said she had problems 4 month later we are in a hip spica for 6 month x

we dont seem to listen to anyone about anything lol but thats a whole different topic lol.

i was told this by mw's and hv's. didnt know it was different till i started seeing it in bnb.

i am going to wait to wean Jaiden as long as i can, ie 6months.

if he is ready just before then then of course i'll start.

With tyler i was a young mum and i was pressured by family to wean him, i just went along with it, he was weaned far too early. and at 8 months he ended up in hospital with a blockage in his bowel, he had to have emergency surgery to remove part of his bowel, none of the drs said this was the cause but im so scared and convinced this was the problem. he almsot died becausethe hospital left him for 3 days becus they couldnt find what was wrong with him

guidelines are there for a reason.

but its eac to there own & i dont judge :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"