Eh?... IVF Age Cutoff???

padbrat

My Rainbow is Born x
Reaction score
OMG.. just read one of NATO's posts and she said the cut off for IVF is 39....

Have had IVF offered on numerous occasions because of a genetic problem, but never wanted it. Now it looks like I am M/c for the 3rd time my biological clock is ticking overtime and I am suddenly reconsidering the idea... until I read NATO's post... now I am bricking it as am 38:jo: and that leaves not much time to do anything about it....:dohh:

Hospital have said they will test if I lose this one, (looking likely), but they could take ages...

OMG PANIC PANIC PANIC...why do you suddenly want something when it looks like you can't have it???????????????

This age limit applies to when u are seeking IVF on the NHS and they are looking to reduce it down to 35 soon if they can according to reports. I think this is cos the success rates are lower when over the age of 35 in most cases... :-( But, this age limit does not apply when u are funding your own treatment, although i knw it is very expensive. Its so tough with fertility treatments as there is only so much funding for it hence the age limits.

I really hope an pray u get your sticky bean soon xxx

The NHS cut-off in my area is 35 although if you are paying private I'm sure there won't be an age limit.

Thats what my sister told me padbrat, and it does refer to free nhs treatment although seems from the other posts that its dependent on area

Im 38 too (39 in June) and my sister said somert like i had to register with a dr that i had fertility issues before 39, so not sure how that would work out once 39/40 arrives

OMG.... I was not really wanting to fund the treatment myself... kinda figured I pay tax and NI so I would get my try on the NHS... GULP

Would being referred to the recurrent m/c clinic be considered as registering for fertility problems?

What are you planning on doing NATO?

Considering that the maternity hosp haven't done a great deal to help me so far am a little dubious about how helpful they will be for IVF...

GULP... worried...

i am hoping that i dont need it to be honest, cos after reading this:

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/889.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=127

i dont think i'll be able to get it. i havent had trouble conceiving but have only conceived once and then mcd

that link says:

1) you are between 23 and 39 years of age at the time of treatment, and
2) one, or both, of you has been diagnosed with a fertility problem, or
3) you have been infertile for at least three years.

and as i understand it, free treatment means you get put on a waiting list and according to the above, you have to be 39 at time of treatment. So if you had to wait a year (my sister waited, but cant remember how long for and got 2 cycles free), and you are 39 now you might be out of the 23-39 by the time the treatment comes up - i know that sounds bad, so all i can say is get to your dr now and see what they say. I hope they are more helpful this time

OMG... told hubby and he went... do we need it?

Well I dunno, but I still want it as an option...

Wonder if M/c count as a fertility problem?

And you have to have loads of tests etc before you are even on the list...

Well, am back at the hospital on Wed for a scan and if all goes wrong I will be referred to the recurrent m/c clinic so... if that all happens I will ask and take it from there I think.

Scares the bejeessus outta me...

Does IUI count the same?

i dunno paddy. have you had any tests to date? do they have any results that might identify the causes as yet or are you waiting for the referral for that?

how are you? the waiting must be torture.

When I was under the fertility clinic I got told I had to have been referred before the cut off age (which was 35), it didn't matter if my turn came and I was over 35 though just as long as I was in the list before my 35th birthday.

Recurrent mc *should* contribute to an official diagnosis of infertility, but I'm in the US so things are different here across the pond.... Over here, the official definition of infertility is the inability to conceive and/or carry to term in a minimum of 12 months of trying.

It all depends on which NHS authority you under. Up here (north lanarkshire,glasgow) I was told you have to be referred before you're under 38. My gp actually told me a day before 38 would do! Also, since we've had 2 mc's we wouldn't be classified as infertile but as having secondary sub-fertility - say that one quickly 3 times!

As i've just turned 40 i obviously don't qualify but they were happy to take us on for any and all tests and investigations (and subsequent medications except any ivf, icsi etc). Its not fantastic but its something..

I just went into my gp ( im lucky as he's great) and he called the fertility clinic, got all the info, called me back told me the above and then i said go for it and he sent in the referral. You should also be able to to read the guidelines at your nhs healthboard website.

Obviously i never had any reason to worry as i got pg at the time i would have normally been referred..but hey ho, what can i do? I just have to keep on trying and hope for the best.

Good luck, hun! I hope you get good news and get what you need/want :hugs:

Hugs, Omi xxx

i dunno paddy. have you had any tests to date? do they have any results that might identify the causes as yet or are you waiting for the referral for that?

how are you? the waiting must be torture.

Nope, no tests as yet, they aren't interested until you go through this hell for 3 times..

As for how am I... well, I think my m/c is starting, cramps have begun, though bleeding is no worse, but give it time... This could be a very bad weekend.

Hiya

I cant get IVF due to having two children already but because of recurrent losses I can get IUI on NHS.

I am 38 at the min but again this stops at 40 but if you are "in the system" then even if you are 39 and a half as long as you are going through it you would be ok. Its the referral that matters.

And hun im sorry your experiencing a loss again xxx

As for how am I... well, I think my m/c is starting, cramps have begun, though bleeding is no worse, but give it time... This could be a very bad weekend.

:(

im so, so sorry padbrat, you take care of yourself. i'll be thinking of you

you only qualify on the nhs if you have a known condition that is treatable by the ivf. i qualify for gentics but u have to have all the documents to back it up. took me 6 months in all... then u need referal then the waiting lists.

:(

im so, so sorry padbrat, you take care of yourself. i'll be thinking of you

NATO - thanks... but I don't know what the heck is going on, but I took some Tylenol last night and became one with the sofa and it has all stopped... no cramps, no bleeding... WTF is going on? This is so different from my other m/cs.. has anyone else had this start stop sceanario before??

Yes, i had that with my last one. I started bleeding on a friday, spent the entire weekend on sofa is excruciating pain, contractions every 2-3 minutes, clots the whole full bhuna. Then it stopped sunday night - i was sure i actually had passed it all. Tuesday i was to go in for the d&c and i had the obligatory scan where everything was still there :shock: I couldn't believe it!

Im sorry you're going through this, pet :hugs:

Thanks Omi. Had to go to A&E last night with pain and bleeding, bright red... my hcg had risen, but not doubled and when the gyne examined me she said she couldn't tell if my cervix was open or closed as there was too much blood.

Have been given codeine and sent home until they can be bothered to get me in for a scan... no doubt will have to then wait again for any help...

Padprat, i hope youre ok

mine started and stopped like that, mine was an mmc and diagnosed by scan

after a couple of days, contractions started and my body tried to mc and failed, so the cramps stopped, then they started a day later and failed again, i was bleeding on and off before it started for about a week. After the 2nd failure of mc, i booked an op, so not sure what would have happened next, but i do think it depends on whether the cervix is open or closed as to how it develops. Had mine been open i don't think the 2 sets of contractions would have failed. Im really not sure about the hcg rising

lots of love

oh and ps, i was told to kill the pain with nurofen and top up with codeine rather than the other way round. You can actually, for a couple of days only though, take up to 4 nurofen at a time and max 12 in 24 hours as long as you dont have any liver problems. My FIL whos a chemist and got me loads of painkillers told me that.

Thanks NATO. Mine is starting and stopping just as you said yours did.

Bleeding from Monday. Pain Friday and Sunday. Pain has now stopped for now.

A&E told me to take paracetemol first and then top up with codeine.

Just want them to help me and not fob me off with painkillers and leave me to cope on my own, just because it is a bloody bank hol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->