Electric or manual breastpumps?

PearDrops20

Reaction score
I'm still unsure on whether i will get a breastpump just yet, going to see how i get on with breastfeeding first lol.

But if i do decide to get one I don't know whether to go with an electric or manual pump, are there any pro's or con's to them? I'm also wondering about brands too, So much research to do :dohh:

I can see you're from England so it may not be much help but here goes! Every nursing mother I know recommends getting a double electric pump and a good one. These are one of "those" items where you get what you pay for. Most of my mommy friends who actually stick with breastfeeding own a medela pump in style. I was able to get one second hand for 100$ and replace the parts for 60$ so total savings of about 150$ since they retail for 300 or so depending on where you buy. I have also heard you can rent one at some places but IDK about in the UK at all. Hope that helps!

Depends on why you want to pump. If you need to pump all the time, a double electric is probably the way to go. If it's occasional use, a manual or single electric could probably do the trick without the cost. I had a manual last time, as I only pumped a few times a week. This time, I got a single medela electric, same purpose, occasional pumping.

I have a Medela double. I only used one at a time for quite a while, but then when I was able to do both? OH YEAH!!!!!! 15 minutes on high, and I was DONE! I used it to increase my supply and for night time feeds, and it worked wonders for me.

I express my milk for my daughter as she won't latch on. I just use a hand pump tommy tippee and it works for me. I'm sure elctruc is easier but I don't feel I need it. X

I would buy a cheap manual for now and then if you feel you need it in the future you can always get an electric. I can personally get out more in a shorter time with a manual than even a hospital grade electric pump xx

I will only be pumping on a rare occassion (once a week / two weeks) so my mum/dad/sister can have a go at feeding her, so I will be starting with a manual (tommee tippee) and seeing how we get on.

If I am still feeding her later inthe year or into next year when I am thinking of returning to work, I may invest in an electric.

But definitely starting with manual. I have also heard that if you don't agree with a manual (i.e no matter how much pumping) then pumping may not be for you - regardless of type....so I'm not going to waste my money in the beginning.

I used to pump every evening and occasional morning with an avent manual pump. I considered buying an electric with my second but glad I didn't as she refused a bottle and I exclusively breastfeed for 7mths.

Thank you ladies :) I think i'll definitely look into getting a manual at first and seeing how i get on with it. I'm hoping i can use it so the OH can help with the night feeds :haha: or other occasions if i leave him with OH/family for whatever reasons. We'll just have to see what happens when he's eventually born lol :flower:

Breast feeding didn't work out for us because my daughter was tiny / early and therefore really struggled with it, so I pumped for a while in an attempt to feed her that way. Unfortunately without direct stimulation from her my supply quickly dwindled, despite a lot of effort on my part. I used a hospital grade double electric pump that my midwife lent me, and I'm so glad I hadn't bought my own only to discover it was a waste of money. I'd say buy a manual pump but pick out an electric one that someone can buy for you if you end up needing it, or buy it but don't open it and keep the receipt so you can return it if not needed. Also, people sell unused ones on gumtree etc at reduced prices too. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->