Elimination Communication Support Thread

I just wanted to say hi and that I just started EC with my 6 month old about two weeks ago. At first I thought it was a totally crazy idea, but I came to it on my own when I realized it was silly that I knew my son was going to poop and I was just waiting for him to do it in his diaper so I could clean his bottom and spray off the diaper! So I started taking him to the potty. At first DH thought it was crazy but not after seeing our son pee on cue several times!

I got a baby Bjorn potty chair for the bathroom, I thought that the back would be helpful since he doesn't sit up independently yet. However, his feet kind of dangle. Any ideas for something I could put around the base of it that he could rest his feet on? I thought about getting the little potty but it is discontinued now, so I am just kind of waiting for him to grow into this one. I also got a potette plus that he has used a couple of times.

I found some bright bots trainers in his size for super cheap on diaperswappers that I am excited to start using. However, we have run into a snag! DS has some kind of tummy bug, and has gone from 1 semi solid poop around 11 am each day, to about 10 watery diahrrea poos a day! After three days of that in cloth, I got tired and switched him to disposables the las two days. I took him to the doctor today and they found blood in his stool :(. So now he has a sore, sposie covered bum and our EC has been seriously side tracked since he is pooing constantly with no warning! I am just hoping he gets better soon!

SammieGrace, we have the same potty chair :) I love my Baby Bjorn with the back on it, it's almost like a real potty. I bought DD a potty this past weekend. Well I had her on the couch with me, and she started grunting, so I took her to the potty hoping it wasn't too late, and to my surprise, she started going as soon as I sat her on her potty :happydance: this is the first time for us that she is doing that, and I am so proud. My goal right now is to not have to clean any pooey diapers for a long time

I found some bright bots trainers in his size for super cheap on diaperswappers that I am excited to start using. However, we have run into a snag! DS has some kind of tummy bug, and has gone from 1 semi solid poop around 11 am each day, to about 10 watery diahrrea poos a day! After three days of that in cloth, I got tired and switched him to disposables the las two days. I took him to the doctor today and they found blood in his stool :(. So now he has a sore, sposie covered bum and our EC has been seriously side tracked since he is pooing constantly with no warning! I am just hoping he gets better soon!

I hope your LO gets better soon :)

We're not managing to get anywhere like 20 pees a day caught - I'm so impressed! In fact I was really pleased yesterday that we caught three in the potty despite taking the baby bug for his injections (he was not impressed) and out for coffee and play with friends (fun but tiring). He seems to be getting used to the idea, so it's just a case of making sure I give him the opportunity to pee on the potty.
I'm a bit scared though - he hasn't pooed for a couple of days, so there's a mega one coming soon... can we catch it???

I'm a bit scared though - he hasn't pooed for a couple of days, so there's a mega one coming soon... can we catch it???

LOL. You can try massaging his tummy clockwise and masaging underneath his big toes where they meet the foot to ge t apoo moving. Also look out for gooseflesh on his thighs - this can indicate a poo about to exit.

Sam

Proud moment today, my LO used a public toilet for first time! I noticed she was straining while we were out having coffee, so took her to the toilets and held her over the toilet in squat position and she went straight away. I was so pleased with her :) xx

well EC WAS going great, but for the past few days DD has only being going poo in her sleep, so it's virtually impossible for me to catch it :dohh:

I'm excited, we're bringing our potette with us to visit my family! We're bringing cloth too. I'm interested to see if my cousin who is expecting likes the cloth diapers! I'm bringing a few different kinds.

EC has been hit or miss around here. We catch what we can. Yesterday she peed and pooed before we went to work. I've never had her do both in one sitting! She pooed in the middle of the night too last night :dohh: and I was hoping to not leave any poopy diapers at home while we're gone for the weekend so I threw it in the washing machine on a rinse cycle and pulled it out so it doesn't get musty

I've been a bit derailed by the little one's degestion being off after a cold - no poos for four days but lots of painful wind. I found that sitting on the potty seemed to help him pass the wind, so I helped him to sit there longer than I normally would. He did cry a couple of times, but my feeling was he was crying because he had a sore tummy not because he was on the potty (new mum angst - am I pressurising my infant - I just wanted to help him have a good old fart!).
Anyway, after warm baths, tummy massages and time whatever was bothering him is over now and he's making up for lost time emptying himself. Hopefully back on track now...

Well done for travelling with potty and successfully using public loos. I've offered him them a couple of times, but no uptake yet.

Glad he's all on track.

My son once didn't poo for 13 days as a baby. His doctor and I both decided since he was in such good form on day 12 to give him one last day and it happened, big time, right when I was listening to a parenting talk in a room full of strangers. The whole room heard it. When I told them how long it had been everybody congratulated me. It was a funny moment.

That's hilarious!
I'm currently so relieved that I'm trying to remember not to blurt it out when people ask how he is - maternal TMI overshare!
I couldn't believe what a difference a bath made yesterday - we had a bright red screaming baby, but as soon as he got in the water he relaxed. It was lovely to see!

We were able to catch some in the potty at my relative's house this weekend. it was great to educate them about EC and how babies at LO's age could go on the potty just fine. They couldn't believe it!

When we got home, I knew she needed to go and I needed to go so I sat down and put her on her potty but she just wanted me to hold her. I picked her up and sat her on my lap where she proceeded to pee all over my legs :dohh: I tried to get her over the potty but I'm too big :blush: so it ended up all over the floor and my pants. :dohh:

We were able to catch some in the potty at my relative's house this weekend. it was great to educate them about EC and how babies at LO's age could go on the potty just fine. They couldn't believe it!

When we got home, I knew she needed to go and I needed to go so I sat down and put her on her potty but she just wanted me to hold her. I picked her up and sat her on my lap where she proceeded to pee all over my legs :dohh: I tried to get her over the potty but I'm too big :blush: so it ended up all over the floor and my pants. :dohh:

My family is so judgemental about the EC and think I am 'pushing' my DD and forcing her to do something unnatural. No matter what I say or what articles I bring up I am still doing something 'abnormal'.

Very frustrating so I dont even try to EC outside of the house anymore. :nope:

I'm sorry they're so judgemental! My family has been pretty good about it. I don't think we've told my in-laws. They're the ones that I think wouldn't agree with it. This weekend one of the cousins talked about how if you start too soon then its the parent that's trained not the baby. I just quietly sighed and moved the conversation on. They loved our cloth diapers though! I may have also convinced my pregnant cousin to try cloth. :happydance:

Anyway, we caught our first pee again this morning! :happydance: I couldn't tell if she was dry though because she sweats quite a bit and I didn't feel like smelling it to see if it was pee. :haha:

Questions for you guys: when should I expect my LO to have a proactive part in EC? and is she getting confused because she uses diapers during the day at school? I was planning on aksing them to help with her using the potty when she moves into the 1-2 yo room.

Questions for you guys: when should I expect my LO to have a proactive part in EC? and is she getting confused because she uses diapers during the day at school? I was planning on aksing them to help with her using the potty when she moves into the 1-2 yo room.

I'm not sure. I've never known for carers in centers to agree to EC. It would be nice if they did but I suppose they have too many children to notice cues etc.

I've finally caught some in the potty today after 4 days of her pooing in her sleep, she finally decided to go while she was awake :) DH is supportive in everything I do for her, although most of my family and friends who have never heard of EC think I'm nuts, but what is really crazy here, sitting around and waiting for her to finish? Or just putting her on the potty, and then cleaning that up rather than a poopy diaper? My friend just finally potty trained her son, he's 3, there is no way I am going to change my daughter pooey bum for that long, that to me is crazy :wacko:

Thanks Sam. I would like her to show me signs that she needs to pee. I can tell when she needs to poo. her head teacher right now thinks what I'm doing is cool but they just don't have the people to help support it. They also can't use training potties because of sanitation. I think the first time they have a child size potty is in the 2-3 year old room too. I just don't want to wait until she's 2 to have her use the potty at school. :shrug:

Does anyone on here have any experience with daycare centers and EC or potty training? I won't know until I ask I guess.

My DD is much younger than yours (3 months) but she wears disposable every day, all day and is has not made a difference to her ECing. She fusses before she has to pee/poo and will cry afterwards if I am not quick enough. By the time I remove her diaper she is completely dry anyways, but she still doesnt like the idea of peeing herself.

well done to those catching pees outside the house! I've offered toilets out and about but he's not taken me up on it yet... which may be because he uses a potty at home not the toilet. I've not mentioned it to the in laws - they are very good about not passing comment on our parenting, but I'm sure they think we're mad as badgers! My parents are coming up to stay with us this week, and they're much more crunchily inclined :winkwink:
We're catching more and more pees in the potty when we're home, and I've just about realised that I basically can't offer it too often in the morning: he just goes and goes. Not caught any more poos though - I can see one when it's immediately imminent, but not with enough warning to get him undressed and un-nappied (and his schedule has varied recently between not going for five days, to going four times yesterday, so I can't just guess one's due!). Anyway, this morning I sat him on the potty mid-poo, fully dressed, nappy and all - hopefully it will start to build the association for him.
While cuddling him bare bottomed the other day I thought I was having my first phantom pee experience and felt proud of being in tune. Half a second later, I realised there was nothing phantom about that pee! So Cheese - you're not alone!

I'm impressed with you ladies! I'm keen to get to grips with sensing a pee coming (as in you think you need the loo) but actually LO needs to go. Im sure she's catching on though, in the afternoon her nappies tend to be dry through a nap then she does a big wee when she wakes. Keep the good work up ladies :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->