Elimination Communication Support Thread

I decided to give this a VERY relaxed try this week since my husband went back to work and couldn't judge us lol.

Monday I just caught one pee, yesterday nothing, but today a pee AND a poop! It is pretty satisfying. :happydance:

Congrats! :happydance:

For those of you who EC'd part time, how old was your LO when they were completely potty trained during the day?

- Letting you know when they needed to go rather than you timing and having to watch for subtle signs?

Ooo I'd be interested too :thumbup:

My lo is 2, and I did ecfrom birth
She stopped having dirty nappies at 6 months. I am now working on getting her dry, as with a combination of work, 2 other carers and a busy life I never seem able to stay home more than a day at a time! Now with A newborn I'm busy in other ways :s

I keep putting her in undies at home but nappies for out/about and sleeping. We tend to have 1/2 accidents in a day at home, closer to dinner time. I just leave her potty close to where she is playing but she always asks togo on toilet for her poops. Looking fed to the day she is just as definite about peeing too!

For those of you who EC'd part time, how old was your LO when they were completely potty trained during the day?

- Letting you know when they needed to go rather than you timing and having to watch for subtle signs?

Ooo I'd be interested too :thumbup:

I can't really remember but it was around 12 monthsahe started asking for toilet to poop

Very interesting thread. It's something I'm giving a lot of thought to doing in some form as my mother did a form of it when my brothers and I were babies, although she didn't actually know anything about EC and was just playing things by ear with us.

I'm the oldest and when I was an infant disposable nappies were pretty rare here so was nappied in terry squares. When I was a few months old my mum used to put me on the potty a few times a day that she had recognised as times I generally wet or pooed. She just did it to save herself from having to wash a few dirty nappies and because I enjoyed the freedom of not having a nappy on. After a few weeks I crawled over to the potty-chair and calling to her. She says she was confused about what I wanted but my grandmother who was visiting suggested I wanted to use the toilet. My mum thought she was being silly but gave it a go and straight away I went to the toilet. After that she started training me and I stopped wear a nappy in the day from 11 and a half months and as I'd stopped wetting at night by my first birthday I never wore a nappy again within two weeks of it. (Except for one night I spent in hospital at 18 months but I didn't wet that either.)

When my brothers were babies she did the same with them and they were both completely nappy free from a year and two weeks too. The thing is nobody ever believes her and if she ever mentions it she's told that it's physically impossible. I remember my youngest brother being out of nappies as young as he was because I was 8 at the time and often 'helped' with his training.

The one thing that made things easier for my mum was because she had this brilliant potty chair. It was nearly as supportive as a car seat and could be used as a high chair, low chair and a swing. So we could sit in it comfortably from a young age and enjoyed sitting in it as we could be on it but still at the centre of things, no matter what everyone else was doing. I don't think they make anything even remotely like it any more, as I've been looking for something similar without luck.

WOW.. a potty chair like that would be GREAT.. too bad they don't seem to be making them anymore... :cry:
Our problem at the moment is that our bathroom is REALLY small, so our changing table is in the other room. Usually I take LO to changing table, change/take off the nappy and then take him to the bathroom to use the toilet. Sometimes we don't make it and also, I think it sometimes makes him frusterated to be moved there.
So wish we could get a chair like that...

canadabear, you could try just laying him on the floor in the bathroom to take the diaper off and then put him on the changing table in the next room to put it back on. That's what I do. We don't use the changing table anymore for safety reasons but all her diaper stuff is in her room.

We're consistently catching poops in the morning but I'm not fast enough to catch the pees. She must do them as she's waking up.

Cheese, we're the opposite - by the time I see the pooing face it's too late (really don't want to get caught with the nappy half off!), so at the moment I'm just talking about poos with the little bug. Pees we have up days and down days, but hanging in there. I find he will often do two about 10-20 mins apart, and the second one often takes me by surprise!
It was really useful while he had a bad tummy - I realised just how watery his poos had got when I saw it in the potty (I think the nappy had been absorbing it), and I could keep an eye on his hydration by looking at the colour of his pees. Unexpected bonus!

that's funny! Isis usually gives me plenty of warning. :haha: This morning she has several "warning shots" for me. She's very sneaky about her pee though.

He's normally mid feed, so it's pause, frown, POO!

It's getting so much easier now the weather's warming up though - less layers to whip off!

Oh yeah, I forgot the mid-feed poo! Isis still does those at dinner and I just talk about it. I'm not even going to try to clean her up enough to get her to the potty in time. It would be a disaster :dohh:

Jaspers done his first wee and poo in the toilet today!! Just thought we'd give it a try. So happy he did it.

I might buy a potty though as I found it hard to hold him comfortably over the toilet, didn't want to hurt him.
Don't think we'll do it full time but we'll see, will save lots of washing :)

Woohoo Danny done his first poo in his potty today!! No good at catching pee though, it just seems to have a mind of its own!

subscribing to this thread :thumbup: new to EC and just wanting to have a read about it.. lo is 4 months old.. no idea how we'd even start!

We've hit a roadblock between learning to walk and traveling. She just doesn't want to go on the potty. We'll keep trying from time to time.

We've hit a roadblock between learning to walk and traveling. She just doesn't want to go on the potty. We'll keep trying from time to time.

Can you just leave it a few days, and then start making it part of the normal nappy changing process? I have done this so that at a nappy change, my los expect to sit on the potty for a short time and evacuate as they can. They all go through phases where they are more opinionated!

I'd like to post that we have had our first nappy free day today, and I'm sticking to it!

I have had her in undies when we are home, on and off for about the last 8 months, but I have finally decided it is my fear of her having an accident that kept me putting her in nappies when we went out... I even let her nap in them, and she slept for 2.5 hrs and just went to the toilet when she woke up. We then went out in the car, and I was expecting her to need a pee, so I brought the potty with us. Hooray! It worked and as expected she peed on schedule :)

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong spot, but I have been trying to figure out how to get her dry for ages! She has hardly had a soiled nappy from about 7 months, but I just couldn't pick the peeing. Finally hope I can cut out the nappies, but will keep them at night for a while yet!

... Now onto the young man...

That's amazing - a whole day including out and about with no nappies!

I'm feeling super chuffed as I've just caught my first out of the house pee - in a toilet. I thought he'd need to practice on our toilet first :)

I'm going to try changing her diaper in the bathroom so she associates it. I'll probably still store her clean diapers in her room but the dirty ones will be in our bathroom. I spent nearly 10 minutes today trying to get 2 diapers on her (2 different changes). I can't believe how badly she did not want that diaper on. the only way I know to fix that is pull-on or going in the potty.

Great job for those with successes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->