Elopement

luckyyou

Reaction score
Soooooo... We just booked out elopement! We were supposed to get married in October. However wedding planning made a turn for the worse and caused us to fight constantly over the stupidest things and eventually we had a major blow out...the day before the wedding. So he called the wedding off the day of. It just didn't feel right, we needed to work on stuff in our relationship, needed to get back to where we were. All said and done we are sooo much better now than we have ever been but I just don't feel I could spend that much time and money a second time planning a wedding again. It would bring back to many bad memories. So we are going to VA to elope on Feb 11 :kiss: I absoutly can't wait! We are going to The Holladay House B&B.

Now...Has anyone on here eloped? How did you tell family afterwards? I know how his mom is and I know how my parents are. We may live to survive coming home or we may not. I have a feeling they are just gonna be mad they didnt know and werent there and kinda ignore us for a while. However I wanna have a nice way/cute way of telling them. Any ideas? :shrug:

I dont think there is going to be an easy way to tell them unless your planing on having a party once your home or something. I think the best way would be to just ring them and tell them and then hang up before the backlash comes lol

I agree, I don't think there is a way to just tell them. Are you having a party/reception when you get back or maybe a meal out with your nearest and dearest? That way they still get to celebrate with you even if they weren't there when you exchanged vows. And you can break the news to them all in one go :lol:

Yeah you're gonna get killed :rofl: but I would LOVE to do this! So good on you for having the guts to do it!! If maybe you take them all out to dinner or something and break it to them together, that might work :) xx

I have no advice just good luck and how exciting!

Yeah a public audience might be good :rofl:

hahaha :rofl: your answers made me crack up! we are gonna leave them a note actually in their mailbox the day we leave so by the time they go out and get it we will be in VA and already married :haha: and we plan on keeping our phones off that day. But we did ask them (my parents and his mom) that if they wanted to do soemthing when we got back to celebrate if we could just go out for a dinner the two of us them and our siblings as we dont want a big party (because they wouldnt realize that even though we eloped to avoid anything big this time haha) I think my parents may be okay with it just because they were mad when it was called off and kinda want us married so even tho they may be hurt I think they will be happy he finally agreed to go through with it. His mom on the other hand we expect to either have a few choice words or just pass over it. But it did put in their letter that if they dont have anything nice to say not to say anything at all. we dont want anything negative brought into our happiness of being married so hopefully they at least do that. I'm so excited tho!!! :happydance: It's going to be perfect! Its going to be at The Holladay House (https://holladayhousebandb.com/). I guess i should just take my fiancees advice lol he's not worried about what they are going to say at all and basically just said oh well scr*w them :dohh:

We eloped and it was one of the best decisions that we've ever made! Not everyone can say they were married by a Captain on a ship. :haha:

We called the parents the morning of and told them what we were doing later that day. Everyone else found out via Facebook afterwards when we posted a picture of our hands with the rings on. We didn't have any backlash from the families - we explained that we didn't have the money to spend on a wedding, and didn't expect them to spend that kind of money either, so everyone was very understanding. (especially since we found out I got pregnant on our honeymoon - now they can use that money for coming up to see the baby!)

Best of luck to you and the hubby to be! Hope it goes wonderfully for you :)

We eloped and it was one of the best decisions that we've ever made! Not everyone can say they were married by a Captain on a ship. :haha:

We called the parents the morning of and told them what we were doing later that day. Everyone else found out via Facebook afterwards when we posted a picture of our hands with the rings on. We didn't have any backlash from the families - we explained that we didn't have the money to spend on a wedding, and didn't expect them to spend that kind of money either, so everyone was very understanding. (especially since we found out I got pregnant on our honeymoon - now they can use that money for coming up to see the baby!)

Best of luck to you and the hubby to be! Hope it goes wonderfully for you :)

Thanks! After our bit of a falling out when our first wedding was canceled. (he stayed at his moms with DD for the weekend and it took awhile to be back on terms and know if we were gonna be able to work our relationship out) I just have a feeling his mom is going to turn around and say I made him do it and everything we fixed is gonna go away now that we are married (she was divorced twice...) However we spent 3,000+ on that first wedding and are currently 11 weeks pregnant and just dont want a big wedding because of what happened the first time and we dont want to spend the money on it. Plus it would be kinda awkward inviting all those people again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->