Entitled? Child Tax Credits / Working Tax Credits

Shifter
Our combined salaries are over £60k when i am at work, but once baby arrives i will be off work for 9 months of the year so our salaries will be well under £60k. So my question is are we still entitled to the Child Tax Credit or not while i'm on maternity leave?

Shifter
Our combined salaries are over £60k when i am at work, but once baby arrives i will be off work for 9 months of the year so our salaries will be well under £60k. So my question is are we still entitled to the Child Tax Credit or not while i'm on maternity leave?

I think so. It's worth applying.

I phoned tax credits people to see if i would get help with childcare and they said ill get £10 per week. My little man goes 3 mornings a week 7.30-12,30 and it costs me £60 per week. i thought £10 is better than nothing but it aint brill, but i got a letter through the other day to say im getting nothing and theyre lowering my child tax credits i get per week, i was only getting £20 per week to begin with. I keep thinking id be better of financially on my own but thats not the right way is it!! It makes you mad that all these people who claim all this money and dont work get more than us they do it by the book and work and look after our children. its soooooo annoying, I dont qualify for working tax credits either. :hissy:

Shifter

It goes on last years saleries. Our household combined was £40 grand, all i get is child benefit and £20 a week child tax credits, not entitled to anything else.

Does anyone receive Tax Credits and Working tax credits for being a carer? I currently work full time but previously cared for my aunt. I received income support and carers allowance. My aunt hasnt been keeping well again so considering caring for her again if I know I can support my own little family.

I'm gonna join in this thread, because I can't help feeling we should be entitled to something ...

I was on a well paid (£18K job) until February, now I'm on contrib-JSA, which will switch to MA in September. OH earns about £13K in a full-time job. Baby due in November, no other children, both turning 40 this year.

I suspect we should be entitled to some WTC, and then FTC, but I can't get the calculators to work.

Is it worth my asking the Jobcentre for the application forms when I see them on Thursday, and applying anyway? Nothing ventured and all that ...

I knew nothing about tax credits what so ever :blush:

Hubby and I were always self employed / with businesses expenses and offset tax etc. I've only been salaried for 11 months. Yesterday a friend told me I should be looking at tax credits for when bubs arrives, and then I find out I should have been claiming throughout the last year. There's some disability element of working tax credits, so I phoned them today and went through it all - they're sending the application out.

It all seems a little confusing because they don't tell you the criteria so much as ask you questions and tell you what ££ your situation equates to.

Regardless, I'm glad I've found out now!

I still don't know how Child Tax Credits work really - or how much you get... is it a flat rate?

And Child Benefit... is that a flat rate? And do you get it from birth?

I still don't know how Child Tax Credits work really - or how much you get... is it a flat rate?

There are various elements and the more elements apply to you the more you get, but it is a flat rate in that it's not means tested any further than household income under £58,000. Before factoring in disabilities or anything for one child under 1 year old it's just over £1000 a year, then after your child turns 1 it halves.

And Child Benefit... is that a flat rate? And do you get it from birth?

That really is flat, everyone gets that. It's about £20 a week for your first child and a bit less for each subsequent child.

Me and my fellas combined wage for the last tax year is £28850.57 i cant get the calculator thing to work does anyone know what we would be entitled to???

Our little one is 4 months old and my partner works FT

I went on there online site they have a do i quafily section!
When i get my :bfp: Once i go back to work i am gonna drop one morning in the week and do 10 hours in the week and make up my hours by doing saturdays,i will get more money that way and then i wont have to leave my children with a child minder all the time either me or my partner can be at home!

Hoping for a :bfp: at the end of june!

Oo how iteresting, £873 a year apparently for Child tax credits if we had a baby that was 2 months old, handy to know for in the future when we TTC! x

I dont understand this - as ou little one will be due in september and I am not working but I did all of last year it says we are entitled to £900 tax credits - does this come off hubbys salary or something or added on or do I get it every month???

I dont understand this - as ou little one will be due in september and I am not working but I did all of last year it says we are entitled to £900 tax credits - does this come off hubbys salary or something or added on or do I get it every month???

No, tax credits are paid to the primary carer (usually the mum) regardless who fills in the form as the primary applicant.

My hubby filled in the form, my details went in as his partner and we supplied my bank details for the money to be paid into.

and is it a one off payment - also if you earn more do you get more back?

Its usually paid in every week/month whichever you decide. You may get one off payments here and there if your situation changes.

IF your earn more, it sometimes means your tax credits will drop a little. If your childcare costs are higher, you will get a lil bit more help.

Utlimately, Tax credits are there to offer a little help financially with things like childcare.

so do I have to wait until I have had the baby and then fill out the forms?

so do I have to wait until I have had the baby and then fill out the forms?

You can request for the forms and complete majority of it but you should send it after you have had the baby. It asks for you to complete all of the babys details such as name/dob etc.

sahmkjsky said:

No, the more you earn the less you get, child tax credits are available to everyone whose household income is below £60k a year. It is a flat rate to everyone within that earnings bracket, with extras available if your child is less than 1 year old, has a disability etc. If your household earnings are above £60k you don't get anything.

Working Tax Credits are only available to those whose household income is below £16k a year. Chilldcare costs come under WTC, not CTC.

i have recently gone on maternity leave and not planning on going back to work coz i have no one to take care of lil one. OH is in the army and earns about 30grand a year. what will i be entitled to???

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"