Epidural didn't work the first time does that mean it won't work the 2nd

m0mmyCool

Me, OH, and our 2 boys.
Reaction score
I had an emergency C-section last yr. They quickly did the epidural but it didn't work! I felt the poking on my abdomen. So they had to put me under general anesthesia. I missed my son being born and so did my husband (he wasnt allowed in the room because of this).

My doctor told me I have to have another C-section because its so soon. And I'm scared the epidural won't work again and I'll have to miss out on this baby's birth too! :(

EDIT: When I did finally meet my son. I was so groggy and out of it (I'm assuming it was because of the G.A) It wasn't how I wanted to be at all!!:cry:

You need to speak to an anaesthetist and get them to review your birth notes. Chances are that it was just inserted incorrectly (does happen) and you will be fine next time, but an anaesthetist can/will check to see if there was any likely physical reason why it didn't work...

Raise this will your consultant.

QT

It was probably inserted incorrectly or they just started too soon before it had a chance to start working. For some women it doesn't work, or will only numb a different area. They should have given you a spinal block for a emergency c-section.

I had a failed epi hun.. well, they couldnt get past my spine and hit too many nerves :( so I had a GA .. really awful because I dont remembr the first 24 hours at all. The had images of an MRI of my spine but didnt refer to them. Hopefully next time (if there is one) they will look more closely. However the guy at the time said there was no way I could ever have one. I was told that I would get an appointment to see and anesthetist early on in pregnancy x

I had a failed epi too :(

Took ages to do anything at all, only numbed a tiny part of my left side - when it did kick in properly it was too late and I was already pushing!

Fingers crossed if I do have it again it'll be more successful - but I only opted for an epi because I was induced and the contractions were painful! Hoping for just G&A next time but we'll see...

I thought with most c sections they normally give you a spinal block not an epidural? For my c section i was given a spinal block which worked straight away.

I know the feeling...I had an emergency C-Section 4 weeks ago and my spinal block did not work! It was horrendous and would definitely put me off doing it again! If I were ever to have another baby I would insist on having a general next time as I would never be able to trust a spinal block again.

I don't remember if it was a spinal block or epidural.. What's the difference anyway? :shrug: All I know is they stuck a needle in my spine and it did not work. All I got was a shocking sensation in my legs... Well I actually didn't feel the cold ice they put on my body but I felt them poking me in the stomach. :S Oh gosh, I don't wanna go through that again.. :(

They kept telling me you are supposed to feel the poking/prodding sensation but I actually felt sharp pain also, which made me think that it was not normal. They then gave me some emergency pain relief which only lasted minutes and that was wonderful which all makes me realise that what I went through was not normal. I don't really have any advice i'm afraid but I hope you have a better experience next time hon.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was given a spinal block by way of an epidural... They put the epidural (needle and feeder wire for the top up into my back and then delivered the spinal block through that "epidural set-up". It did work for me. They left that in and used the epidural to deliver top-ups for post-operative pain relief for the first 24 hours - great way of doing it.

I think that the epidural is just the method of delivery (ie drugs through needle into spine): a spinal block is a cocktail of drugs that should completely block feeling and mobility, whereas "epidural" still allows some feeling and some mobility (I could walk after the spinal wore off, but I was still receiving epi top-ups - I had a true mobile epidural).

QT

I thought with most c sections they normally give you a spinal block not an epidural? For my c section i was given a spinal block which worked straight away.

I was given a spinal block by way of an epidural... They put the epidural (needle and feeder wire for the top up into my back and then delivered the spinal block through that "epidural set-up". It did work for me. They left that in and used the epidural to deliver top-ups for post-operative pain relief for the first 24 hours - great way of doing it.

I think that the epidural is just the method of delivery (ie drugs through needle into spine): a spinal block is a cocktail of drugs that should completely block feeling and mobility, whereas "epidural" still allows some feeling and some mobility (I could walk after the spinal wore off, but I was still receiving epi top-ups - I had a true mobile epidural).

QT

sorry to correct here but this is actually not quite correct - spinals and epidurals are both given via the same route.

the main difference is that for the epidural a catheter is placed in the area in your back so that the pain-relieving medicine (usually bupivacaine (local anaesthaetic) and fentanyl (opioid painkiller) can be continually infused throughout labour. Noone knows how long a labour will be so it's moe appropriate to use this at that stage. some epidurals will numb the area completely, others still let some feeling remain, depending on the dosage given.

the spinal is a single injection administered into the epidural space in the back via a needle. it will act fast and for a specific time frame - cannot be topped up. That's why it is usually given before an emergency or planned c-section. there is no need to place the catheter in the back as the procedure is taking place straight away.

I'm guessing it wasn't a spinal block I had because I was able to move my feet.

i had a vaginal birth and after 2 days in labour and a hormone drip i couldn't cope with just gas and air so i asked for an epidural at 7cm. It didn't work! They said 1 in 10 epidurals don't work, they don't know why. They tried again and it kicked in just in time for pushing thank god.

Weird, because, as I said, I was given a spinal block through the epidural catheter..... (I wasn't given a seperate injection in my back for the spinal).

At least that anaesthetist said that he was giving me a "spinal" - it may have been a high dose of the epidural drugs (enough to paralyse my legs and remove feeling...).

QT

sorry to correct here but this is actually not quite correct - spinals and epidurals are both given via the same route.

the main difference is that for the epidural a catheter is placed in the area in your back so that the pain-relieving medicine (usually bupivacaine (local anaesthaetic) and fentanyl (opioid painkiller) can be continually infused throughout labour. Noone knows how long a labour will be so it's moe appropriate to use this at that stage. some epidurals will numb the area completely, others still let some feeling remain, depending on the dosage given.

the spinal is a single injection administered into the epidural space in the back via a needle. it will act fast and for a specific time frame - cannot be topped up. That's why it is usually given before an emergency or planned c-section. there is no need to place the catheter in the back as the procedure is taking place straight away.

Weird, because, as I said, I was given a spinal block through the epidural catheter..... (I wasn't given a seperate injection in my back for the spinal).

At least that anaesthetist said that he was giving me a "spinal" - it may have been a high dose of the epidural drugs (enough to paralyse my legs and remove feeling...).

QT

Well I had an epi and then was given the spinal just before my c-section separately, because my epi was wearing off on one side and couldn't be topped up sufficiently to numb me completely. But normally if there's a well-working epi in place they just give a top-up to make sure the area is completely numbed.

This time around you will be having an elective csection so they will have a lot more time to make sure your block is working. In an emergency they have to get the bay out as soon as possible so the only option is to put you to sleep if the block doesn't work. I'm sure you will be fine this time round hun, but I would ask for an appoinment with the anaesthetist beforehand to put your mind at ease xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->