epidural question

Just because the women you know didn't have problems doesn't mean the statistic is wrong the statistic may well be based on research or figures from within the OPs area. Not all hospitals keep that kind of data but some do. Also an intervention may not always be needing a c-section it could be needing forceps or ventouse or even just needing an episiotomy without these things so maybe the original data has been misconstrued or exaggerated but doesn't mean it has been pulled out of thin air xx

ETA: in the UK there is something called 'the good birth guide' it used to be online not sure if it still is but there were hospitals in a neighbouring county to mine that I have heard from ladies in those areas, were very clinical and old fashioned and pushed most ladies to have an epidural, stay flat on their back throughout labour and to push in stirrups at the end. This was a few years ago now but still compared to other hospitals they were really behind. Unfortunately when you looked at their figures for episiotomy and forceps delivery, they were shocking something like 60% for episiotomy (most UK hospitals have less than 20%) and a very very high rate of forceps deliveries/ventouse too. No wonder so many ladies in that area fork out for independent midwives and have a home birth with their second and subsequent babies if that is an option. I would hope things have changed in that area now but wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't.

I went in with 'I'll see how it goes on the day' as my attitude towards all pain relief... My waters had gone on their own and getting contractions but I was not progressing... I was only 2 cm after 18hrs so they put me on the induction meds! These contractions were awful so I went from breathing through them to using the gas and air...this was helpful until the contractions got really strong after that the gas and air did nothing ... We had to be transferred to another hospital because they were concerned about my daughters heart rate...so they stopped the contractions and sent me in an ambulance saying a c section may be on the cards...after 28 hrs of labour and at the new hospital I begged for the epidural! Oh my god it was the best thing i did...it allowed me to rest and calm down and enjoy the rest of my labour... I didn't progress so it ended in a c section but that was down to the cord being around her neck not the epi!

I had a low dose one so I could get up and walk to the toilet and feel my legs which I didn't know was possible... If your in pain during labour and you can't handle it go for an epidural for sure but make your mind up on the day :)

i had an epidural with my first. i didn't get it until like an hour before i started pushing but i didn't have a catheter put in or have any intervention during delivery. i tore slightly but no instruments were needed or anything. i had a great experience with my epidural!

Epidural a definitely increase the chance of having an assisted delivery, however a lot of that is because your birthing on your back which is a very unnatural way to give birth. It means your baby is laying on your main artery supplying oxygen to baby. This then means your baby's heartbeat can dip, and midwives may need to get your baby out as quickly as possible.
This of course can happen without an epidural if you just give birth on your back anyway.
SO much can change going into delivery, I just don't think you can plan anything! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->