Epidural- why are people so against it?

I think its down to you as an individual hun. With my first i was adamant that i wouldnt have an epi... in the labour ward i spoke to my mw and she was telling me the ins and outs and the amount of times its a tually caused anything serious is extremely low.
In the end i had it and if i didnt i would have never got through it i was in labour from statt to finish 63 hrs and my body and baby physically couldnt take anymore.. i HAD to sleep and that was on docs orders.
I would never say i wouldnt have it again.. this time round im hoping not to but im also hoping for a better birth lol lol... everything and anyhting carries risks of somesort.
So persinally i wouldnt rule it out. See how u are at the time and go with what ever feels right and is best for you at the time. Good luck

I'm going in with an open mind. Know lots and lot and LOTS of girls who said they wouldn't ever have an epi and that's exactly what they're screaming for after an hour or two! But I'd rather avoid for all the reasons stated so will try the old gas and air as long as I can. But if I need an epi, I'll get one. Every person I know who's had one has had no problems.

There's just really big differences between the uk and the us on choices. In the us, we have no gas and air, just an epi or morphine or nothing. But I do want to point out that the epi is not the epi they gave 20 years ago. It's the lowest dose possible, and then they give you a self regulator button you an push if you want more.
And you can roll from side to side or labor on your side. Or you can bring the ball in bed and put your head and arms on it if your having back labor, so the epi doesn't totally stop your movement, it just stops you from getting out of bed.
And, in the us, most hospitals will give you pitocin with your epi, so it will not slow down our labor. I'm sure you could opt out if you wanted to though.

I am not against epidurals, but I would like to be active during birth, and get into a position that won't be working against me and my baby. I am also just looking forward to labor and am not afraid at all (yet!).:haha:

We are fortunate enough to live in a day and age where there are many options available to women concerning how their birthing experience will go. We have home births, water births, hospital births, midwives, obs, etc. We also have all sorts of pain medications and control options at our disposal as well as various induction meds, etc. There are indeed so many options and varying birth plans, that it can be confusing, especially for a first time mom.

That is why women are encouraged oftentimes to develop a birth plan ahead of time so those providing treatment know what the mother desires for her birthing experience. However, as any mom who has been there will tell you, even the best laid birth plans can be tossed out the window as sometimes our bodies and our babies have other things in mind!

Just like they say "every pregnancy is different," so is every birth. Some women experience tolerable pain and quick deliveries while others have very painful, very prolonged labor. Some women have high pain tolerace, some have zero.

In my opinion, there is nothing at all wrong with a woman having an epidural if she chooses to have one, just as there is nothing wrong with a woman opting for gas and air, or nothing at all. Or a home birth vs. a hospital birth. You know your body best, your pain tolerance best, and you and your doctor should discuss your concerns and desires ahead of time.

I went into my first birth planning for minimal involvement and an epidural only if necessary, but my body had other ideas. Medical conditions called for an induction to be done, so I had to have induction drugs, which I initially swore I did not want. I then had planned on an epidural "only if necessary" and ended up never having to make that decision as after 3 days of a failed induction, I had to have a C-Section. The ultimate decisions I made were done for the health and well-being of my DD, and I have a beautiful little girl to show for it. And I don't feel like any more/less a mother because of how she was ultimately brought into this world. All that mattered to me was that she was here, and she was healthy. I was also able to breastfeed her without any problems.

So, at the end of the day, you need to do what you feel is best for YOU and your child. If an epidural will help aid you in your plans for the successful birth of your child, there is nothing wrong with you choosing to have one. :flower:

I don't want an epidural, as I don't want to take the risks associated with it, however small those risks may be, unless absolutely necessary. I personally think that the female body is designed to give birth without artificial help, and women today have got it into their heads that things like epidurals are a necessary part of childbirth, but if you approach it with the right mindset you can get through it without an epidural etc. Depends on your own personality, pain tolerance and outlook though - everybody's different! And not every labour is straightforward either, which can affect decision making. :shrug:

I've gone both ways with and with out (labor was to fast) it was great the first time I didn't feel like I missed anything and I got plenty of sleep and you need that for pushing and before baby. Keeps you up all night

Since my last labor was soooo fast and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (granted 2 hrs of labor and less then a min of pushing) I'm going to try to go nat aging.

I do have to prep dh this time tho :haha: he slept threw mosst my labor last time! He only delt with like half and hr! :haha:

I like the go with the flow plan tho going in with an open mind :)

Eta: everyone that has kids has had epis none of them have had any problems from them. The one who did have problems were caused by stress (nurse didn't help at all) and drs not taking the right steps (baby to big broke something can't remeber)
We are in the states and don't have many ops for pain we don't have tens or g&a

I have had two, my first worked fine I did not feel pain or burning but I felt pressure and knew when I needed to push and I got it at 3 cm. With my second I waited until 5-6 she hurt me putting it in and it was incorrect because it only slightly numbed my lower right leg and I felt EVERYTHING when pushing my sons perfectly round head out when people came into my room and asked me more then once if I was a c-section I felt pretty proud lol! This time around I am hoping to just not get one and my very last chance is at 8cm in my hospital. There are risks with everything and some people just need the help you just do what is right for you and your situation. :)

I will not be getting an epidural. I want the experience and I don't want to feel helpless. I'm not trying to be a hero but I didn't have one for my first and I survived ;) even if it felt barely lol.

Personally, my reason for not wanting to have an epi has nothing to do with pride.
I can get paranoid easily, so not being able to move my lower half would send me into a serious panic attack. I am also prone to migraines and would prefer to be in pain a few days BEFORE the baby is born than for an unknown amount of time AFTER the baby is born. Crying babies and headaches don't mix - my husband is military and will not be able to help with the baby much because he just won't be home.
So that's why I'm not getting an epidural. But I think most women are great candidates, so if they want it, there is no reason to judge.

Personally, my reason for not wanting to have an epi has nothing to do with pride.
I can get paranoid easily, so not being able to move my lower half would send me into a serious panic attack. I am also prone to migraines and would prefer to be in pain a few days BEFORE the baby is born than for an unknown amount of time AFTER the baby is born. Crying babies and headaches don't mix - my husband is military and will not be able to help with the baby much because he just won't be home.
So that's why I'm not getting an epidural. But I think most women are great candidates, so if they want it, there is no reason to judge.

Sorry just a tad OT but your husband does not get 10 days of paternity leave?

I wasn't aloud the epi, but if I was, I wouldn't of had it.
1, because of the needle
2, I've heard alot of horror stories about it
3, getting pregnant, wanting a baby and labour is the process of being a Mother, so I wanted to feel more, not be completely numbed. I had pethodine and gas and air, but was still in pain, the pethodine just makes you not care at all though, but I've always said I've wanted to be able to feel my labour.
But that's just me:)

Yes, he gets those ten days but after that will be gone quite often. Post-epidural headaches can last weeks, months, or more.

I have had the epidural twice. Both times I was adamant I would be able to manage without, but either my pain tolerance level is low or my contractions are very strong, because both labours made me feel like I was getting ripped in half at 5cm. This made me give in, I don't like feeling like I'm dying knowing I still have ages to go (I have slow labours).

I researched all the risks beforehand and am convinced that epidurals do lead to more risks and interventions. My first deliery was a c section and the second forceps. I think if I could have carried on naturally I would have avoided these.

However. Labour really tires my body as it takes me so long to dilate. I know if I had gone on much longer I would have had no energy to even start pushing. The epidural gave me a chance to recover my strength and allowed me to push my baby out, with help. Without it, baby could easily have got distressed because I couldn't move him.

There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument.

I had one with #1. With shoulder dystocia, I could not physically maneuver to relieve him - they broke his collarbone to get him out. With #2 (natural home birth), it happened again, but I could physically do a McRoberts Maneuver and he was dislodged quickly and safely without injury.

Yes, the risks are rare, but they do happen, I am done having children but if I had a 3rd, I would not choose it again. Recovery was also very quick.

Yes, he gets those ten days but after that will be gone quite often. Post-epidural headaches can last weeks, months, or more.

Ah, ok was just checking mine gets the 10 as well and may use some leave we have 30 days atm but mine also works a 7-4. :)

im getting one as i am having a seciton...

im not worried about it particularly and i would get one if necessary with a natural birth...

however i have a high pain threshold so i would wait and see if i needed it.

I'm trying not to be irate right now but I think unless you've HAD an epidural. A friend of a friend of a friend 20 years ago stories are completely irrelevant today. These fear mongoring stories are SO inane I really have to believe the epidural received in Canada is nothing like what you guys are referring to! Omg. Like I'm seriously in shock...3 week headaches....not being able to breast feed? In Canada there is actually studies that epidurals speed up labour because the mom is so relaxed. I've never in my entire life heard such crazy stories and I had many midwife conversations........

How about I tell you MY story, instead of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend (like everyone had a friend who had laser eye surgery and went blind.......that surgery isn't even the same from 5 years ago. Science changes. It becomes more advanced folks.) crazy thought. So. For me. I had an epidural to help with the pain.....It slowly wore off near the end (like its suppose to) so I could feel enough to push. Start to finish 6 hour labour. My baby and I successfully nursed after. I had zero headaches....I was actually up and walking around within hours of my labour. I get people saying its a personal choice but I'm sorry I had to say something. Especially when you've never had one but seem to think something you heard 15 years ago is going to somehow make this woman make the best choice for her!!!!!!!!! Anyways. I'm clearly gonna get crucified because not one other person agreed but considering this is baby and bump CANADA I felt the need to step in And honestly just be like.........WOW!!!!! I am so glad I live in Canada right now!!! Hahahhaaa

^^^^^
this sounds just like australia... over here the rate of epis are high and ive never heard of anyone having issues where i live.

I personally think that the female body is designed to give birth without artificial help, and women today have got it into their heads that things like epidurals are a necessary part of childbirth,

Just to clarify this.... its not always the case... in fact before medical intervention the rate of death of mother or child was quite high.

Doctors are 99% positive I have a fused pelvis and wont be able to natural birth regardless of size of him as my pelvis can't flex/expand pretty much at all. just lucky i guess coz i have got spd from stretching ligaments coz they have nothing to stretch lol

so no... not all women's body's are meant to give birth without artificial help....and infact if i went on like my birth mother did not knowing and attempting a natural labour with no "artificial help" i may end up with a still born just like she did.

also i personally think if i had to pick between gas and other drugs or an epi id rather the one that made me more lucid.... pushing is one thing... but i don't wanna be drugged up and out of it when my baby takes his first breath and cry.

everyones different... i dont think its something you should want before trying labour and automatically get just because... but i also think if its needed then theres absolutely no shame in getting one.

I'm trying not to be irate right now but I think unless you've HAD an epidural. A friend of a friend of a friend 20 years ago stories are completely irrelevant today. These fear mongoring stories are SO inane I really have to believe the epidural received in Canada is nothing like what you guys are referring to! Omg. Like I'm seriously in shock...3 week headaches....not being able to breast feed? In Canada there is actually studies that epidurals speed up labour because the mom is so relaxed. I've never in my entire life heard such crazy stories and I had many midwife conversations........

How about I tell you MY story, instead of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend (like everyone had a friend who had laser eye surgery and went blind.......that surgery isn't even the same from 5 years ago. Science changes. It becomes more advanced folks.) crazy thought. So. For me. I had an epidural to help with the pain.....It slowly wore off near the end (like its suppose to) so I could feel enough to push. Start to finish 6 hour labour. My baby and I successfully nursed after. I had zero headaches....I was actually up and walking around within hours of my labour. I get people saying its a personal choice but I'm sorry I had to say something. Especially when you've never had one but seem to think something you heard 15 years ago is going to somehow make this woman make the best choice for her!!!!!!!!! Anyways. I'm clearly gonna get crucified because not one other person agreed but considering this is baby and bump CANADA I felt the need to step in And honestly just be like.........WOW!!!!! I am so glad I live in Canada right now!!! Hahahhaaa

My story happened 2.5 years ago.... in Canada :shrug: Most birthing centres will provide pamphlets/citations indicating statistics on pain relief. Educate yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->