Epidural

briashxo

Reaction score
Tell me your personal experience getting an epidural :) I'm thinking for my own personal choices I may end up getting one, I'm open to not. Kind of just going to see how it goes the day of!

Anyhow, share your story! I have a few specific questions though.

1) Is it okay to eat right before going to the hospital if I plan on getting an epidural?

2) Does any part of getting the epidural hurt? I know most will respond compared to contractions it is nothing, lol!

3) I've heard some people can still feel and kind of move their lower body but just didn't have the pain along with it. What about you?

4) Did you have to get a catheter inserted?

5) How long after birth did the epidural wear off?

I had a great experience with my epi. I decided to go in with an open mind and make the right decision for me in the moment. When the epi was offered I was about 4 centimeters and definitely struggling with the pain. However I declined it because I wanted to continue to try and get through it more without it. This was a mistake. The pain became unbearable very quickly and when I was begging for one, no one was available to give it! This was the worst part of my labor. The 45 minute wait where I went from 4 to 7 centimeters. That pain still haunts me. Finally I did get epi and OMG, what a miracle. I went from not being able to move or open my eyes and my whole body being a tight knot to relaxed and happy and able to enjoy labor. It was only about 2-3 hours after getting my epi that is as ready to push. I pushed for maybe 40 mins at the most and delivered my beautiful baby boy without any problems. I will no doubt get one again. It made the experience so much more enjoyable.

1. Not sure about eating but I don't think there are restrictions per se. I don't think u wanna eat to heavy because you could feel nauseus not from the epi necessarily but even just from labor

2. I don't remember it hurting. I remember praying that I would be able hold still while the contractions were coming long enough for them to do it. And yes the pain I was in at the moment had me so out of it and in a different world I don't think I would have noticed it

3. Pretty much most the pain was gone but I could still feel pressure and knew when the contractins were and when I needed to push .

4. Yes had a catheter. Don't remember much about getting this but I did have one

5. About 1.5 hours after giving birth I was walking

I ate before and during my epi

It didn't hurt me (well the thing they use to nubm you befor giving the epi did lol) I just felt a lot of preshur

I didn't feel anything till I hit 10

I did get one didn't hurt or bug me aT all other wise your peeing on yourself the whole time :haha:

I honestly felt like I could of walked right after I had dd but I never upped my dose after they put it in

I was going to get one with dd2 but it went to fast lol its really a person by person kind of thing

This is great info ladies, thanks! I was thinking of having an epi as I know I probably won't be able to handle the pain!

I wasn't able to get the full effect of my epidural before I gave birthh to DD, but I know ill be getting one again(hopefully sooner).

I wasn't told I couldn't eat before hand, but it wasn't really on my mind either.

I don't remember feeling pain, but it did feel like they were injecting cold medicine. A bit chilly :) I don't reccomend OH watching, as mine nearly passed out lol

I still had sensation, just less pain, though as I said before, mine wasn't fully functional either. I still felt the need to push.

I did need a catheder but I didn't feel it,so I didn't mind much.

I was able to walk about an hour after,though they insist on helping .

My baby girl was born Tuesday morning and I had an epidural :), the worst part was the numbing which stung for like 2 seconds and that's it! It was amazing!! I could still move my legs but didnt feel a thing and I was actually able to nap in my labour on and off before having to push.. I had a catheter in but they took it out just before baby was about to be born. It doesn't matter if you eat ect... Mine wore off about 1hour after birth but had it topped up to go to theatre as I got a hermatoma and they topped the dosage up so strong I couldn't move my legs for about 4 hours after that!! I'm so glad I had epidural I wouldn't of coped otherwise haha :) good luck

Hey! I had an epidural with my first but it didn't work. At all. So I just want to add that I totally understand that you want to go that route, but have a backup plan with coping techniques just in case. I did a childbirth class and the whole time I had it in my mind that I was gonna get an epidural and wouldn't have any pain. Never thought twice about it. Well I wish I had really thought about coping techniques. I mentally wasn't prepared for that kind of pain. So this second time I do want the epidural again. Praying I get one that works, but I am also going in open minded and trying to be mentally prepared in case it doesn't work again.
Thought I would just mention this to keep it in mind!

My birth story is in my signiture but be warned its long.

1) Is it okay to eat right before going to the hospital if I plan on getting an epidural?

I didnt plan on getting an epidural baby got stuck and they used forceps and did a episiotomy so i ended up having one. They did ask me when id last eaten so im guessing you shouldnt eat but id had breakfast at 8 and it was about 4pm and that was apparently fine.

2) Does any part of getting the epidural hurt? I know most will respond compared to contractions it is nothing, lol!

No they used a numbing spray that was just cold and i dont think i felt the epidural go in but i had a contraction just before it it went in so i was distracted!

3) I've heard some people can still feel and kind of move their lower body but just didn't have the pain along with it. What about you?

I didnt feel anything except a sort of tingling like pins and needles but not as bad or annoying!

4) Did you have to get a catheter inserted?
yes they inserted a catheter once it was in so i didnt feel it. I felt it come out but it didnt hurt.

5) How long after birth did the epidural wear off?
I think it was about 6 hours before i could move my legs properly again but i was a bit wobbly when i walked for the first time. It seems mine lasted a bit longer than ithers but i think thats cos i had it right at the end just cos baby was backto back and stuck! :)

I went natural with my 1st and had epi with the other 3. I will be having one this time as well. I prefer the rest before the baby comes so i can enjoy him when he gets here instead of being exhausted. I also felt it was a much more enjoyable birth experience. When they numbed the skin for the epi, it felt like a sunburn, but that was it. Also, I could feel the pressure when it was time to push, but not the contractions before that.

The only thing I DON'T want is an epidural, but I really don't cope well with pain. So stalking this thread just in case I end up having to go down that route :) x

I had an epidural and it was a horrible experience (since you said you were open to the "no" side of it). I'll write it a bit below and others can skip if they don't want to read.

First, the epidural itself went in easy, didn't cause my any problems (ie spine, back pain, etc) and wore off within a few hours.

The epidural made it impossible to push properly (because you don't feel anything) and I spent 4 hours pushing. That long pushing caused long-term pelvic floor damage.

But when my baby came out, he got stuck at the shoulders (shoulder dystocia). I couldn't push him out properly so the doctor cut me (episiotomy), reached in, broke his collarbone, and yanked him out.

I had no epidural with my 2nd and he got stuck too but came out very easily as I could use proper maneuvers to push him out on my own.

So, the 'cascade of interventions' is something very real to think about. Yes, labour is very painful, but being able to move your body/pelvis is also a safety issue and a lot of people forget about that.

It's important to bear in mind there are different types of epidurals and the least risky of them, the mobile/walking epidural is not widely available xx

I had an epidural with my first. All went very smoothly. I could still feel fine to push, the pain was just dulled. Was up and walking soon after birth. Had no issues afterwards. Labor with second was just too quick to even think about an epidural. It also went fine, but honestly, I felt much better and rested after my first, as I wasn't so drained from the pain. Both babies were alert and good nursers from the start, my first born did not seem affected by the epidural at all.

All this info makes me want one more! :haha::blush:

I'm glad most of you had a great experience getting it and I DEFINITELY appreciate the info for those who had not. Gives me the thought to prepare just in case!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->