episiotomy with first, what about second?

ica235

Reaction score
I had an episiotomy with my son, masses of stitches which all over healed. I couldn't have sex or even use tampons. 14months pp i Had a Fenton's procedure to tidy up the entrance but still so so tight down there, sex is still painful but achieveable eventually! And still a struggle to get him in!
My midwife and consultant seem to think I'll be fine and won't neccessarily need to be cut again and have assured me I'll have an experienced midwife delivering this baby who will help to prevent tears and assess when and if a cut will be necessary. Also an experienced doctor will stitch me up if need be.
My question is, with all the scar tissue down there, surely I'm bound to tear right? I can barely fit my fiance in let alone squeeze a baby out!!! im dreading having stitches again!! They were more painful thanthe birth! And after having dodgy stitches and surgery to fix them reaslky dont want to gonthrough that again!

I had an episiotomy with my first and was terrified about tearing etc second time round, especially as once I got to 10cms I delivered him in 3 minutes. Fast labours are normally worse for tearing because there hasn't been time to stretch but I had 2 small grazes and that was all. I could have skipped out of the delivery suite!

It's really unpredictable, but just from my guess I would most likely expect it again ):
You can do some stretched down there to help stretch and read the area to less increase your chance of getting another one.
take your fingers and that little piece of skin under your vagina, push it down towards your bum and then also stretch it outwards towards each thigh.

Thanks for the replies!
I know many women who had epis first time round that didn't need it second time, my mother being one of them! But where I had corrective surgery which wasn't 100% successful just makes me wonder if I even have a chance!! I feel like I (sorry tmi) am about to split apart from just sex! And sore afterwards :( ugh

oh to have a normal vagina again!! Haha!

Sex really hurt for me after mine too! The initial 'getting in' was not easy! I did not need an episiotomy with my second though :) I kept imagining where I was cut splitting :sick: but no such thing happened!

That's the kinda stories I need to hear! Thanks :)

I had episiotomy with #1. #2, labour was so fast and I didn't have any tears or grazes at all. Hoping to be as lucky this time round! Good luck!

I had one with #1 and # 4 the middle 2 I delivered with no prob. You can do perineal massage and stretches to help things stretch out. It can't hurt anyway!!

I had an episiotomy with my first but didnt need one second time round. I had a second degree tear with my second but it was NOT where my episiotomy scar was. Healing is much, much, much nicer and manageable and less painful with a tear as opposed to an epi :flower:

I think it depends on the reason for the epi? I had to have ventouse as lo was facing side ways, makes sense that if I have another and the position is better and I can deliver without assistance I shouldn't need one, however I would be scared of tearing the scar!!

I am so scared of this. I found recovery from the episiotomy the worst thing about the entire labour experience and the thought of having stitches again makes me want to cry. I hope we are lucky second time around x

This is what scares me most about labour. I never wanted an episiotomy but ended up with one anyway. The healing was horrendous. Split stitches. Infections etc. Hoping so so hard that it doesn't happen this time!

I had an episiotomy with Ds1 and like you was so tight down there. Our sex life was so different. Sometimes we just couldn't have sex at all. My healing was relatively straight forward too.
Ds2 no stitches. Plus he was breech! I did tear but it was a small tear which they felt didn't need any stitches. Tbh that second birth has kinda helped. I'm not as tight down there making sex much more comfortable again. We haven't had the same issues as previously. So I guess it all worked out!

Hi ya Hun , I had a episiotomy with my first and over 20+ stitches .
When I went into labour with my youngest I was so afraid I was literally crying to midwife on ward .
Who said look if you say ya don't want one then we ain't doing one . We will work on this together .
She was right I relaxed straight away and didn't need one . Walked away with 2 stitches .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->