Ergo or babybjorn?

mum22ttc#3

Mum of 3
Reaction score
For those that have these which one would you recommend?
I have a caboo closer at the moment but am thinking of swapping it once baby reaches 4 months. A couple of questions:

-the ergo says the newborn insert needs to be used from 7-12 lb or 3-4months, is this either or as Arthur should hit the 12lb mark in about 2 weeks and I wouldn't mind swapping over earlier but don't really want to pay out for the inserts for a couple of weeks.
-what age can you use both till?
-which model of each do you have as there's a few of each and I find it a bit confusing.

If there's any other structured buckle (I think that's what they are) then feel free to recommend. TIA :)

I would go for an ergo over a baby bjorn if those are your choices tbh (I wouldn't worry about the newborn insert if he is almost 12lb)

I have a Lillebaby (from newborn to about 4 years old) and love it :thumbup:

Definitely the Ergo or another similar ergonomic carrier, like a Manduca. Baby Bjorn isn't ergonomic, so it's bad both for babies hips and also your back.

Whether you need the insert or not will depend on your baby and how they fit in the carrier, but at nearly 12lbs, I'm guessing you should be able to get away with just needing a rolled up towel under baby. There are two parts to the insert, one is like a duvet wrap that goes around them if they are too skinny to fill out the carrier and be securely in there, so it cushions them and keeps them in place. The other bit is a pillow that sits at the bottom which lifts them up so their faces are at the top and not slipping down inside the carrier (which wouldn't be safe). My daughter was small at birth (6lbs 9oz) and we needed the whole insert until about 4-5 months, but then after that, just used the cushion at the bottom for a month or two. Some people don't buy the insert at all, just use a rolled up towel under baby's bottom. If you can get to a sling meet and try one out, you'll have a better idea of how it might fit, but I would imagine you could probably get away without the full insert that this stage.

Each carrier will have an upper weight limit to which they are approved for use, so that is a good guide for how long you might still use it. I think the Ergo we have, which is 4 years old now, goes up to 40lbs. I could still wear my 3 year old in it as of a few months ago. I don't because she prefers to walk, but I could, so you'll get a lot of use out of it if you choose to use it into the toddler years.

I have a sleepy Nico which I really love. It's really comfortable and there are some lovely designs to choose from. You can even choose your own fabric.

I'm using a manduca with Emma, I can also back carry Sophie in it.

Ergo. The bjorn doesn't put babies hips into a very good position.

Definitely go with the ergo out of these two options. I have an ergo, it's just whatever the original model is, and I use it all the time. I never used the infant insert, I just rolled up a swaddle blanket under her bum to boost her up. I started using it with her when she was 6 days old (under 8 lbs) for things like grocery shopping and running errands. I had to use one hand to support her neck/head when I would bend over so it wouldn't be practical to use the ergo for things like cleaning the house or playing with an older child when baby is still a newborn, but I never needed it for that anyways. Now that she is older and afraid of the vacuum cleaner for some reason I put her on my back in the ergo when I clean the house, run errands, walk the dog, etc. I probably use it every day.

I have this baby bjorn https://www.babybunting.com.au/baby...Lt6xyi8_XK9E-KxuUDQh_vV6NEj-dw5bw8aAqhC8P8HAQ

It is recommended by the international hip dysphasia institute as being hip healthy for bubs. My friend who is a physio recommended it. I really like it. I have a pretty slight frame and a big baby but find it comfortable to carry him around in for hours without back or shoulder pain. I know of people who have the ergo and really like it too though 😆

I love my ergo! Plan to use it again with this baby. My sister has the babybjorn and hated it. It looked so so uncomfortable for both her and her baby.

Thanks for all the replies, I've just brought the ergo original today. Can't wait for it to arrive now, just hoping it's easier than the caboo as I found that quite fiddly :)

You'll get the hang of it in no time. I loved my ergo, I got it when Sophie was 14 months. Anything ergo, lillebaby, kinderpack, manduca etc are great carriers.

Good choice :) I had the Bjorn and bought the Ergo when he was a few months old because a) it was starting to hurt my back on long walks, & b) I heard about the bjorn being bad for his hips. I love the ergo and use it every day still. I agree with what everyone is saying about just rolling up a swaddle blanket instead of using the pillow from the insert. I needed to use a blanket for a while, until his legs were long enough to look comfortable without it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->