EveryRose's 75 book challenge for 2011

Every Rose

Reaction score
I have this list on LibraryThing but I thought I would share it here.

The idea is to set yourself a challenge to read a certain amount of books in the year (doesn't even have to start from January, especially now we are in April) and as you read them you make a list and if you want to you can do a small review or even just a comment about them for your own reference or for anyone who is following your thread to see what you thought and chat to you about the book.

Anyone taking part just has to start their own thread and lists their books in whatever way they like and then other people can read it, comment about what the OP has said and ask questions about the books etc.

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w1TvLvQ/counter.png

I'm cheating with this one, it was my New Year crossover book, so I'm counting it as my last and first.

The three Story sisters, Elv, Meg and Claire are almost identical and very close. They have their own language, Arnish, and Elv believes they were stolen from Arnell, a world of daemons and fairies and magical powers.

She is determined to find her way back and her sisters are keen to go with her. But as they grow older Meg becomes disillusioned with Elv and her stories and Claire more enraptured, to the point that her life is endangered. Elv and Claire share a secret that sets them apart from Meg and their Mother, Annie, but Elv is on a destrutive path that changes all their lives.

This is an odd one. At first I liked it, then I didn't and finally I think I understood what the author was trying to say with it and enjoyed it. Alice Hoffman is still very much an author I am keen to read and it's (just about) a happier book than Skylight Confessions, the last one of hers that I read.

I gave this book: 2 1/2 stars

Not an easy read but a good one.

Jack is five years old and has spent every day of his life in Room with his Ma. His friends are their furniture and the features in Room, such as Bed, Trash and Wardrobe and also the cartoon characters such as Dora who come to visit on TV. Also visiting from TV are places such as Hospital Planet but Jack knows that nothing exists outside Room except for Old Nick, who visits Ma at night while Jack sleeps in Wardrobe.

Shortly after Jack's fifth birthday Ma tells him a shocking secret, and together they come up with a plan that Ma says will help them go Outside, a place Jack is afraid of even though he knows it doesn't exist.

Room isn't easy reading and is inspired by real life events involving kidnapped girls kept as sexual prisoners for many years. Written entirely from the point of view of Jack, Room is both innocent and shocking and one particular detail, touched on briefly at intervals, had me feeling very upset. What we are aware of while Jack is innocently unaware, what is apparent at the start to us as wrong but seems normal to Jack and what is slowly revealed in greater detail, is that Jack and his mother are held prisoner by a man who uses Jack's Ma as his sexual slave, that they are locked away from the world and that this man is Jack's father, a man who is both brutal and at odd times epathetic (but not enough).

It's impossible for me now to read or watch anything without relating it back to my own experience as a mother so to me the horror of the book was imagining the pain of being held prisoner with my own son at the whim of a madman, knowing what my son was missing from the world and wanting to keep him safe.

It's hard to say I enjoyed the book but I wanted to know what happened to Jack and Ma and it was a very fast read. It reminded me very much of The Collector by John Fowles (although not quite as good, not quite as creepy) and I would now make a point of looking out for other books by the author.

I gave this book: 4 stars

A reread and still a very good book.

Annie is in her late twenties, overweight and new to the area. Certain that she has met new neighbour Neil somewhere before she attempts to become first a friend and then a romantic interest to him despite attracting the ire of his much younger girlfriend Lucy.

Told with a disturbing backstory of Annie's past and increasingly and equally disturbing revellations about her growing obsession with Neil, this book was just as good on the reread as it was the first time around, and even though I was fully aware of the ending it still managed to make me inch closer to the edge of my seat with every turn of the page

This is an odd one to read. It's based on Kirstie Allsopp's TV series in which she attempts to inspire people to be more creative with both their hobbies and their home decor and to lead people away from mass produced identikit furnishings and make their homes unique.

The first half of the book is split into room by room chapers in which Kirstie talks a great deal about her own homes (I think she has three) and the styles in which she and her husband (some sort of property developer) have decorated them.

There are many, many pictures of Kirstie's homes and the homes of her friends and the homes of the crafts people she has worked with during the filming of her TV series.

Kirstie seems to have a vastly larger amount of money than me and I think she has access to some kind of storage warehouse in which she pops her one-off purchases and creations until she finds the perfect opportunity to use them. She buys a lot of shelves and many, many large fireplaces, all of which are either installed in the large rooms of her homes or tucked away for use in the future.

There are lots of references to Meadow Gate, her holiday home which she renovated on national television, and which has space in the kitchen for table that seats about 20 people and which outside in the garden has a small woodland area by the back door. There are also a lot of references to buying things from skips and getting beds that ought to cost several hundred pounds each for just £20 per pair.

The second part of the book shows you how to complete certain craft projects, from stencilling a picture to making a mosaic table or from icing a cake to making tea cosies from jumpers accidentally shrunken in the wash. I think all of the crafts and projects have been featured in her TV series and it's the sections on patchwork quilting and rag rug making that have captured my interest enough to use part of my precious Christmas gift voucher
to buy her book.

She makes one unforgivable comment about how even if you don't read books they still make a very nice decoration for a room so it's worth buying some with nice spines and bindings anyway.

But that aside, her enthusiasm for her subject is infectious and fun, most of the projects are interesting and inspiring and her desire to help people both recycle their odd bits and bobs into beautiful homemade objects and turn their homes into unique spaces rather than chain store showrooms is both genuine and touching. Kirstie is so successful here in the UK because she is likable and that made it easier for me to forgive her for having three homes, lots more money than me and a warehouse full of lovely spare sideboards and marble worktops just waiting for her to buy house number four.

The bits of the TV series I saw showed Kirstie joining in and having fun, her efforts weren't always perfect and the ordinary people she featured in the show either showing off and teaching their craft or learning a new skill to enhance their own homes were always interesting. I'm hoping to gain a few tips and ideas from this book so I can try some of her projects myself but the book was also a pleasure just to look at and daydream about what I might try.

A reread prompted by seeing about ten minutes of the film on TV over Christmas.

Somewhere in my copy of the book (perhaps the back cover) Barbara is described as an unreliable narrator of the story of teacher Sheba Hart and her illegal, extramarital affair with a teenage student from the school they both teach at. I tried very hard to remember this as I was reading but I did find that Barbara was able to colour my vision of Sheba quite well at times, especially when she painted her as snobbish and scornful (as when Sheba saw a three piece suite for the first time "in real life" and laughed, claiming it was like meeting a crying clown or a sailor with an anchor tattoo on his forearm). It was moments like this when any hint of sympathy I had for Sheba was washed away with feelings that she deserved all she got from the discovery of the affair.

This book was a good one to read following A Kind of Intimacy as again we have an obsessed and unreliable person telling the story from their point of view only and leaving us wondering how much of what we read is the truth.

Another reread and another obsessed woman telling her story in her own way, leaving us unsure of the truth.

This book is the sequel to Digging to Australia but it can be read without knowing the story of the first book (it does give away a bit of that plot though).

Jenny is in prison for a crime that we don't find out until the very end of the book. As the story starts she is locked in solitary confinement and slowly begins to tell us three stories. One is of her life in prison, the second is Jenny's imaginings of her ancestor, Peggy Maybee, who was transported to Australia for stealing a peacock, and the third is the story of events that lead to her imprisonment in the first place.

I very much liked Jenny in the first book and so was resolutely on her side throughout this one, despite her bad behaviour and terrible crime, and I finished the book once again hoping that we might have one more story from Jenny that leads her to a happier life than the one she is currently living.

This one sneaked onto my reading list last night, when I left Kraken downstairs by mistake and felt too lazy to go fetch it.

It took me about three hours to read this book and it did have me very worried about the main character.

Gude is getting old and her daughter in law, Irmeltrude, resents feeding and housing her through a famine that is slowly starving the family and their entire 16th Centuary German village to death.

Having already cast Gude out behind her husbands back only to see her return to the family home which Gude's husband originally built for her, Irmeltrude seizes her second chance to rid herself of a burden when Jost, her husband and Gude's son, leaves with a hunting party in a desperate search for food while a visiting friar is scouring the village for witches.

With one village woman already tried and burned, Irmeltrude points her finger at Gude, who has just three days to work out how to save her own life.

This story is told by Gude, who admits that she is an unreliable narrator of her own life due to her increasing confusion and forgetfulness. She suffers from wild dreams which she fears may be actual events, temptations by witches and the devil to eat the food the entire village are so desperate to find. She forgets things and suspects she may have unwittingly entered into a bargain with the devil.

The story very vividly reveals the atmosphere of suspicion, desperation, fear and hunger that hang over the village and shows just how easy it was for an innocent woman to be tried as a witch when accused by the people she has known and trusted all her life.

I couldn't put the book down until I had learned Gude's fate and it was interesting to read the information at the end about an ancestor of the author, who was accused of witchcraft at least twice in her life and fought for her own survival.

Important artifacts and Personal Property from the Collection of Lenore Doolan and Harold Morris, Including Books, Street Fashion and Jewelry by Leanne Shapton

This book is lovely and an entirely orginal way of exploring a relationship from begining to end. Set out as an auction catalogue of 'Important Artifacts' that help define the relationship of Lenore Doolan and Harold Morris, from an invite to the halloween party where they first met to the last polite notes and photographs that punctuate their break-up.

The original layout and untraditional style of the book may put some people off but to me this book is like found treasure. It's impossible not to fall for Lenore and Harold (or Buttertart and Hal as they often refer to each other). Leanne Shapton has created a masterpiece that left me desperate for more of the couple as their story is told by engravings on antique cake servers, scribbled notes on old theatre programmes and snippets from half written letters hidden inside secondhand books (and so many more artifacts, which are both ordinary and extraordinary for the significance they had in the couple's relationship, a significance that wasn't obvious until after the relationship had ended and the items are studied, photographed and commented upon for the auction catalogue.)

This is an auction catalogue but it is also a romance novel, a study of relationships, of city life in New York at the start of the 21st century and of how two people can be so right and so wrong for each other.

The auction date is Saturday 14th February 2009, a clue right there on the cover that all will not end well for Lenore and Hal, but I'm not sure who (other than me) would want to buy the collection of mix-tapes (actually CD's in this day and age), vintage bathing suits, old hats, broken mugs, scribbled on post-it notes, old rugs and horrible dog ornaments in real life. But I would have gladly gathered in everything and gloated over it by the end of the book, I had grown to love Hal and especially Lenore so very much.

Through these things, through the photographs and brief descriptions by the auctioneer, we know everything and noting about this couple and that's one of the things that make this book so wonderful, we learn so much, we are left to imagine so much more.

The story of the romance is quite old fashioned and lovely too. Being told in this way and comprising of a lot of photographs, handwritten letters, vintage clothing and decorative items it has an older feel to it. The emails that are catalogued are not pictured and there are no old mobile telephones containing saved texts on offer. It does have the effect of dating the romance to before emails and mobiles were common objects and for me that adds a charm to the book.

The age difference for the couple, with Lenore at 26 and Hal at 38, adds to the inevitability of the break-up once you see it happening. Hal is already successful and established in his career and perhaps a little set in his ways. Lenore is just starting to become successful, puts a greater importance on things that seem trivial to Hal, and is prone to tantrums, while both experience petty jealousies and childish bouts of sulking. But both also show an ability to have fun, to step outside the norm of convention and to be incredibly thoughtful of and generous to the other. It's easy to forgive them their faults when both have such likability and charm.

I loved the book and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for something different and quietly wonderful. I will definately reread it and intend to catch up on anything else Shapton has written (although created is a more accurate word for this book).

Reading this book was peaceful, every word managing to seem soothing and calming and restful, very much the atmosphere that Suvanto itself was designed to offer it's guests.

Because the "up patients" on the top floor do seem very much like guests at an expensive hotel rather than patients at a sanotaurium.

When Julia arrives at Suvanto in a taxi, dressed in furs and jewels, accompanied by expensive luggage but without the money to pay her fair, American nurse, Sunny Taylor becomes quietly fascinated with her and the events which brought her to the hospital.

Suvanto and Finland are as much characters as anyone else in the book and the writing is lovely. This is the first book by Maile Chapman and it is very well presented. I will be looking out for her next one.

Following the funeral of Richard Abernathie his family gather for the reading of the will. All seems as it should until his estranged sister Cora Landsquenet upholds a long tradition of blurting out uncomfortable truths and speaks out "But he was murdered, wasn't he?"

The family dismiss this as Cora being Cora but within a matter of days she herself is violently murdered and the family solicitor and long-term friend, Mr Entwhistle decides to seek the advice of Hercule Poirot.

I have read this book before but had forgotten most of it, so the twist at the end was still a surprise. I liked the book and felt it was one of Agatha Christie's best. Poirot is my favourite of her detectives and although I missed Hastings I enjoyed the relationship between Poirot and Entwhistle just as much.

Part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program.

Eva Chance is sixteen years old and dead. She cannot remember how she died or who may have killed her, at first she doesn't even know she is dead. All she knows is that something is wrong with her family and as they gather at the mansion house Eva lives in with her Grandfather the ghosts of the house seem to be aggitated and out of control. And it's up to Eva to solve her own murder and save the remaining Chance family from an ancient curse.

This wasn't a bad mystery but I think it's one I would have enjoyed much more as a teenager myself. I did guess a major plot point and some of the story was a little shaky but there were also some very creepy moments that wouldn't be out of place in a real horror novel. The ducking stool (and what it contains) and the stain on the stairs with the Stalker are two such moments.

It's not one that I think I will be keen to read again and I don't think I will be rushing out to read her other books (although the preview of her next one in the back of this book did have another very creepy moment in it that has played on my mind, so perhaps I might give that one a chance if I find it in the bookshops) but I did enjoy it and it was a quick read.

I gave this book: 2 1/2 stars

This is what happens when you leave the house in a hurry and forget your book. You end up in the charity shop looking for something to tide you over and end up with this.

It was dull. The characters were hard to care for because they were dull and predictable and you guess everything that's going to happen, which isn't actually a great deal. And you find it hard to remember the names of the characters when you need to write your review.

When Edie and Raymond's (I think that was his name) youngest son Ben moves out to live with his girlfriend (Naomi?) Raymond is happy that he and his wife can get their marriage back after years of just being Mum and Dad. But Edie is heartbroken with her empty nest and longs for Ben to come home. Raymond and her sister Vivi (missing her own emigrated son and coping with her wayward husband) tell her to concentrate on her new acting job in Ibsen's Ghosts but Edie instead takes in fellow actor Lazlo, who seems in need of a mother figure, and suddenly one by one her three children are also clamouring to come home as relationships and job loses force a crisis in their lives. And Edie is suddenly not sure if she wants her nest quite so full anymore.

The moral of the story seems to be a combination of "be careful what you wish for" and "grow up and get out."

I gave this book: 1 star

Candyfloss on a wobbly stick.

The residents of 66 Star Street are being watched by a mysterious, unseen being. From Katie on the top floor, 40 years old and dating workaholic Conall, to prickly Lydia and her two handsome but hostile Polish housemates on the third floor, Jemima with her dog Grudge and adult foster son Fionn on the second floor and perfect couple Maeve and Matt on the ground floor, not one resident goes unobserved. But who by and what for? As their secrets are slowly revealled to the reader it soon becomes clear that a choice is being made.

It was a mostly gentle way to pass the time. There was only one real suprise for me in the book, all the other plot twists were predictable but the characters were mostly likable (except for Fionn, his name alone got on my nerves) and the identity of the watcher was a bit of an odd bit to the plot really. I know it was a way to link the characters together and reveal their backstories but it was still a bit odd. I liked it though.

I gave this book: 3 stars

Not as clever as it thinks it is.

I gave this book: 1 star

Connie and Kit should have the perfect marriage but when Connie becomes suspicious that Kit is leading a double life she cannot trust him and her doubts lead her to obsession. As she finds herself stalking a total stranger in her quest for answers, her marriage crumbles and her domineering family threaten what's left of her sanity. Spilling police officers Sam Kombothekra, Simon Waterhouse and Charlie Zailer return from Hannah's previous novels to help Connie solve the mystery of Kit and of a murder victim nobody believes Connie saw.

This is one of Hannah's better efforts but it still helps to suspend your belief while you read it. As the mystery unravels it starts to feel as though she couldn't decide on a final conclusion so she used three in a sort of triple bluff (this is what happened, except no...it was this...but really it was this, haha fooled you all!) that doesn't add anything to the plot. It doesn't happen in the good way that makes the reader think they have guessed the ending halfway through and then be surprised by a clever twist, it's more of a way that Hannah presents one conclusion but then kept writing to present two more just to show off. Any one of them would have worked alone, some being more believable than others, but all three together make it seem like nobody, not even Hannah, had any real clue as to what was going on. And yet she makes a big point of having one two characters explain things very clearly to the others, one on one plot, one on the other, before throwing in a short and weird final explanation from a third character right at the end that rubbishes the other two.

Having said all that, it was the sort of book I needed to read right now, not too demanding of attention and quick to get through, distracting and an entertaining way to pass the time.

I give this book: 2 stars

Re-read. Help and advice for bereaved parents and medical professionals which includes true accounts from parents who have lost a child before or shortly after birth.

This is the revised edition and my one suggestion for further revised editions would be to include a section of advice for bereaved parents who have to deal with unsupportive family, friends or medical professionals at varying points in the days, months and years since their loss.

Just as good, if not better than the first time around.

Aging rock star Judas Coyne buys the ghost of a dead man on the internet. It fits perfectly with his macabre collection of random items, from a witches confession to a genuine snuff film, but Jude doesn't really believe a ghost will accompany the strange black suit he receives in a black, heart-shaped box. But it does and Jude soon discovers that he is the victim in a plan for revenge from beyond the grave and that the lives of everyone he knows are in danger.

There as some very creepy moments in this book and some fascinating characters. It might sound an odd choice for a comfort read but when you are in need of something well written and compelling that leaves you desperate to know how things turn out (even if you've read it before) you can't really go wrong with this one.

Re-read. Collection of short stories, not all of them scary but most have a little skew on them that makes the world seem a little off balance. This time around The Cape was my favourite story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->