Everything is Ruined!!

Sakura15

Reaction score
:cry: I need a moment to over-react.

It's January and I decide to get in shape. Better diet, join Pilates, start running. :winkwink:

It's February. We decide to TTC in August. :happydance:

It's March. Running and pilates are going so well! I go diving - :happydance:

It's April - My back and leg hurts so much after diving, I can't run, AND my amazing Pilates teacher decides she's moving. :dohh:

It's May - No relief after a course of anti-inflammatories, I go to the physio. She explains all this stuff about how jacked up my hips and back are, and that I have a herniated disc. I will need at least 3 months of rehab before I can run again. :cry:

How could this be happening?? I just finally got my ish together. I was feeling sooooo good about my body, not just to prepare for pregnancy but just for me! :cry: And 3 months of rehab takes me right up to my TTC date. What does that mean?? :cry: And my big summer trip is in 2 months, which involves lots of traveling and dancing and walking and it will disrupt my rehab :cry: Should I be willing to postpone if I'm not 100% healed by then? :cry: Is pregnancy going to throw things out of whack again? :cry: Does this mean I might not be able to have a natural childbirth? :cry:

I know everything's not ruined...it's going to be okay...and I feel bad that I feel so bad because I know that so many people have so much worse to deal with...but I need a moment to over-react. I'll think rationally tomorrow. :cry:

BIG HUG to you!!!!:hugs: Start the rehab process and see how you feel - no one can give you a magic date of when you wil feel better - why 3 months and not 2.5 or 4?! I would just focus on doing the most you can within your limits - running is actually unhealthy for most people but walking is pretty good - even at a slower pace - its better then nothing - which is what I see a lot of in my line of work - people who decide to sit on the couch because they cant run a marathon.... I'm not saying that's you at all btw... As for your trip... GO - ENJOY!!!! It may be your last childless vacation lol
Now the natural childbirth... my biggest regret from the birth of my daughter was that I waited as long as I did to get an epidural! After the epidural it was truly magical :blush: So you may not WANT natural childbirth once the contractions get going
Take a deep breath! Things will sort out :hugs:

Hi!!! First, big hugs! Secondly, physical therapy for your back (even swimming - low pressure on joints) will help rehab and maybe even help you lose weight and get in shape! You may feel better after 2 months, you never really know. See how you feel - play it by ear. I am in the same boat, too (okay not exactly) - but am trying to lose weight to TTC and it keeps getting pushed back!

I had a herniated disc about 5 years before TTC my first LO. I had A LOT of back pain in my pregnancy. In fact, one of my first "symptoms" was sciatica. Anyway, after a 100% unmedicated delivery, I started with leg pain that was traced to my back via MRI - worst herniated disc the neurologist had ever seen & was certain I'd need surgery. Made an appt with neurosurgeon - earliest they could get me in was a month away. Well, lucky me because in that month I lost a good 25 lbs of my baby weight & the leg pain went away!

So, the reason I'm sharing this story with you is to warn you that back pain in pregnancy with a healing herniated disc is definitely magnified. Buy a belly support band - they really do help. And, well, just to let you know that I've been through it & will try to help if you need to talk 😊 good luck in whatever you decide!

Hugs Sakura!! I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles! Wish I could offer more advice but the best I can say is to not let it bother you too much, you never know what's going to happen in 3 months. Sending positive thoughts your way!

Ladies, thank you all so very much!

It has been difficult getting used to the idea, but I am coming around. Not doing much better yet physically unfortunately, but feeling hopeful. You are all absolutely right that there is still time. And you've also helped me put things into perspective - this does not rule out a natural childbirth. But a natural childbirth may not even be what is best when the time comes. I really can only deal with the here and now, can't I. So stretches and swimming for the next 6 to 8 weeks it is, and then we'll see!

It's great to have your support :)

I'm going to tell you something one of my besties told me when I cried to her that my doctor had pushed back my TTC date: For the best chance at a healthy baby you need to be a healthy mummy.

So, if you need to push your date back, just remember, it's a small sacrifice. You're going to be uncomfortable enough carrying around a human being in your belly, the last thing you need is further back problems. Take care of you first, so that you can be ready to take care of baby.

Hugs girl, I know it's not easy.

This may or may not help! Thought I'd share anyway. I've had bad back pain for the past 10 years which began with a herniated disc. I wondered how I'd ever manage being pregnant as surely back would get so much worse? I actually remember telling one Physio years ago that I was worried how my body would cope if I ever got pg. She said it was common for bad backs to get better when pg and somehow your body copes. I found that my back got better over the pregnancy, Pilates instructor said it was to do with ligaments loosening up. I didn't feel a thing. However, it was a few months after I'd given birth that it started getting sore again. Pilates and Physio helped but you already know that.

Saying all that, I do agree with Flossie Aus that you want to be taking care of yourself before baby. Just thought I'd share my positive back experience!

Hugs xxx

Flossie, you are so right. I need to be healthy, period! I'm feeling more positive now about my ability to get in a good position with my back in time for August - the pain has really subsided, I'm back to being able to do my usual activities with only slight discomfort. I'm still working with the physio but now down to once a week instead of twice, and I've been able to switch to swimming for weekly workouts instead of running. I am hopeful, but I will take it as it comes. We'll see how things look when August rolls around!

Linzz30 - your story definitely does help! My Pilates instructor has now relocated, so a major step I need to take is to find a new one who will help me make sure I'm using proper technique and help me strengthen while working within my body's limits. Thank you so much for sharing!

You may still have a natural childbirth. I have a low pain tolerance. but broke my tailbone during the three hours I was pushing out my daughter. It was horrible, but I talked myself through it. You never know what you're made of until you're in the moment.
I'd also start rehab right away so it doesn't get worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->