Evidence indicates link between Acetaminophen and Autism

SarahBear

Reaction score
Hey, I never jumped on the vaccine bandwagon, but something that is far more convincing (because science is actually able to see a link) is acetaminophen use. If you're interested, here are a couple things to get you started:

https://www.medicaldaily.com/acetam...n-prevent-fever-after-vaccines-may-be-culprit

https://www.facebook.com/autism.and...06452.136148899749305/468345246529667/?type=1

Every time an acetaminophen scare or warning came out, the rates of autism plateau or dip. I can't remember exactly what the increases were linked to, but it was something that resulted in an increase in acetaminophen use in children. One example (don't remember when it started) was a recommendation of giving your child acetaminophen prior to their vaccines or in reaction to a vaccine induced fever... Which then explains why it LOOKS like there's a link to vaccines.

Anyway, I'm NOT posting this to start a debate or an argument. If you start one, that's on you. I'm not going to participate. I'm posting this because I think parents should know. If you're interested, you can do some research and even post it here if you find something helpful. If you're not interested or not convinced or not looking for more convincing evidence, It's OK to state your opinion and walk away. No need to start an argument.

Edit: Articles that are more scientific:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673819/
https://www.sciencedaily.com/rele.../2013/10/131029090518.htm

I was also informed that pubmed.gov is a good place to look for solid information.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know what that was, so googled it and it is called paracetamol here.

I've never given pain relief for vaccines (unless you count breastfeeding! It works the best).

I think paracetamol is quite nasty altogether and so easy to overdose on. I overdosed on it last Christmas and the pain was agonising.

I'll go and read the information now.

Interesting hypothesis. The article admits that the evidence is largely anecdotal. I will be curious to see if any scientific studies come about to support it.

Thank you. Like the PP says the evidence is anecdotal and I'd suggest nobody panic and stop giving paracetamol when their child has a continuous high fever, as that has risks in itself... Is there a medically safer alternative? Is ibuprofen better?

I think it will stop me from giving paracetamol 'just in case' he's teething/in pain when he's upset about seemingly nothing. Now he can communicate better this is rare but I'll admit to giving him calpol for this reason in the past.

I really do get surprised when people give babies/kids pain relief 'just because'. Not meaning you AngekofTroy but you just reminded me how much I see the advice of "have you given calpol?" on here for any whinge, cry or wake up during the night.

That's interesting, as pp have said I'd like to see more research done into it but it does make you think.

I tend to keep my use of calpol (paracetamol) to a minimum anyway, because I prefer not to use too much medication. I save it for fevers. As an adult I don't like to take too much either, if I have a headache I tend to leave it unless it gets a bit too painful.

As far as I understand it ibuprofen is supposed to be more harmful because it affects the stomach lining, which is why I've always avoided that one more. Anyone know anything about ibuprofen?

I think there are risk factors with pretty much anything, especially medicines. That's why its so important to only use them when they are actually needed. They have a time and a place to be used, obviously, and shouldn't be given for every little thing, as pp has also mentioned. When necessary to use them during illness, though, I don't think people should be scared out of using them due to risks like this. There are pros and cons to any type of medical treatment, and sometimes possible side effects of minor treatments such as this have to take a back seat to the more immediate problem you are being faced with, like a continuous high fever that needs to be brought down.

Thanks that's really interesting. I have touched upon this when researching vaccines and this has prompted me to read further into it.

Here's some more detail, there is also an interesting note at the end about prevalence in areas where paracetamol is used to treat circumcision pain. Definitley shows a correlation and warrants further investigation in my opinion.

https://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/Acetaminophen.asp

Also stumbled upon this, slightly off topic but linking paracetamol used in pregnancy to ADHD, this is the first I had read on this, thought it maybe of interest...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11331644

It is suggested that paracetamol can affect hormone function and in turn brain development.

I think aside from anything else it shows that even if something is deemed safe there may be long term side effects that we do not become aware of until years later.

That's interesting, as pp have said I'd like to see more research done into it but it does make you think.

I tend to keep my use of calpol (paracetamol) to a minimum anyway, because I prefer not to use too much medication. I save it for fevers. As an adult I don't like to take too much either, if I have a headache I tend to leave it unless it gets a bit too painful.

As far as I understand it ibuprofen is supposed to be more harmful because it affects the stomach lining, which is why I've always avoided that one more. Anyone know anything about ibuprofen?

The only thing I really know about ibuprofen is that you have to be really careful about not using it too much as it can strip the stomach lining and cause bleeding. I think also you are supposed to make sure you don't have an empty stomach when you take it because that can increase the risk.
However I don't know what is classed as too much use as I've had to take it regularly for a period of a week or more following operations etc and I've not had problems.

Interesting. I don't give paracetamol before vaccinations now but I did in the past as per my health visitors advice. I stopped because I was told giving it beforehand can mask some reactions to vaccines which actually makes a lot of sense.

As minties said paracetamol is so easy to overdose on. I overdosed on paracetamol a few years back and was sick every 10 minutes for 8 hours. I'm very wary of it now and only use it when absolutely necessary.

It gives a nasty reaction doesn't it? I was vomiting every 10 minutes for about 20 hours. I was drained. I was also on a car trip to visit family for Xmas.

It seems like such a gentle, harmless drug. So easy to dish out.

Here we are always advised not to give any pain relief before or just after vaccinations as it can interfere with them.

It gives a nasty reaction doesn't it? I was vomiting every 10 minutes for about 20 hours. I was drained. I was also on a car trip to visit family for Xmas.

It seems like such a gentle, harmless drug. So easy to dish out.

Here we are always advised not to give any pain relief before or just after vaccinations as it can interfere with them.

Oh my gosh how much did you take? Mine was by quite a bit, I think around 15-20 tablets I can't quite remember. I had to have my kidneys tested for months afterwards. I was very lucky.

I may be being dim but how do you overdose on paracetamol by accident?
I generally don't take it unless I'm in so much pain I can't function but when I do take it I stick religiously to the timings.

I generally don't take it unless I'm in so much pain I can't function but when I do take it I stick religiously to the timings.

Mine wasn't by accident.

Mine wasn't by accident.

Oh Okay. :blush:

I think it can be easy to accidentally do it though if you don't keep a strict eye on times or if you don't tell anyone else looking after the child that they've already had a dose as they might give them some more.

I have OD by accident. I had toothache and just couldnt reach the times I was mesnt to take it. I had such bad stomach!

Drugs are awful things really. I know they help a lot but there is so much scope for error with them too. I am very fussy about taking drugs-I usually write out a plan of when they need to be taken and cross out if it's been done. After a bit of a bodged op I had to take 5 or 6 different tablets - most at different times, and 2 of them were to counteract the effects of the others- so I learnt to have good drug control lol.

It's really easily done. A lot of people don't know all the things that contain paracetamol so if they have flu/cold they buy several over the counter products that all contain paracetamol. Then they take them over the course of several days and this causes accidental overdose. It is probably the most common drug with the fewest side effects so in most people it will not cause drowsiness, vomiting etc and therefore there is often no indication of the overdose until irreversible liver damage has been caused.

eta: Another reason it is easily done is because you can take it 4 hourly up to 4 times a day but some people take it 4 hourly and do not realise there is still a maximum daily limit, so in 24 hours would be taking 6 grams as opposed to 4 grams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->