Expecting too much from children

I think kids grow up way to quick now!

I mean I look at pics of the stuff I was wearing when I was like 8/9/10 compared to the clothes kids wear now its shocking!

I work for a well known ladies fashion retailer that also do children's clothes and when I'm putting the clothes out aimed for children as young as 7/8 I cringe and think omg! There's no way I'd let Isabelle wear somthing like that... I mean a crop top (styled on the adult ones) zipped up the front with sticky out padded chest part:sick:. Hot pants where your but cheeks are on show! Hideous!

I agree - children do grow up way too quickly but maybe every generation say this iykwim ?- i do agree that the media definitely play's a huge role - Adult tv/music channels etc is never on in my household when my daughters are awake - my 7 year old is still very much a 7 year old isnt interested in girls aloud jls etc deosnt care what she wears or looks like and still loves cuddly toys and playing imagination games and playing outside with her friends ALOT of the children in her class are very much already in to certain clothes only wearing certain things and sings songs you cringe listening to when they come out of a young child's mouth - even though it is all song very innocently (so i have been told by their parents/my friends) where does that come from if not what they watch or how the parents are?

I very much try and keep thier childhood exactly that - ive never expected anything of them because i know all children are different and will develop and mature differently and i would never push them academically - actually in the back of their baby record books where is says 'Your mummy's wishes for you for the future' all i put was 'To be happy and healthy' and that is all i want for them.

I know that by at least age 11 and in secondary school things will change and i guess its trying to find a balance and compromise x

I work with children and i am shocked by what some children as young as 6 know and do - not to mention how some of the children age 7-11 are like - its quite scary.

I work with children and i am shocked by what some children as young as 6 know and do - not to mention how some of the children age 7-11 are like - its quite scary.

Would you be willing to give examples?

I have a friend who works in a primary school as a classroom assistant and was told the kids where talking about south park and sex!

I think back to when I was a child and see maybe I was naive. I was playing with dolls and didnt know what sex was till secondary school. I suppose with the media and so much access to everything now its all there.

Its not his birthday. I dont know why the ticker does that I think it does that till it goes to a month old. I must change them again.

My mums neighbours (hes a pedo) long story. some kids taken off them but have two young ones there. Well They have a girl and a boy , one is a toddler and other is slightly older at this time. Pretending to have sex doggy style in their front garden.

My mums neighbours (hes a pedo) long story. some kids taken off them but have two young ones there. Well They have a girl and a boy , one is a toddler and other is slightly older at this time. Pretending to have sex doggy style in their front garden.

DISGUSTING!!!!! Those poor kids.

Has that been reported to anyone? The doggy style bit I mean.
Social services are up there all the time. They have 2 children taken off them as it is. I cant understand why its ok for them to have some left ? its 3 not 2 they have left , forgot she had a younger one than toddler now. My mum seen this not me.

They seem to get away with everything even assaulting people, in and out of court. I dont know why they still have kids with them. My mum said the toddler wasnt walking at 19 months still. Seems to have some problems. If you seen these two you would feel more sorry for them kids. She was pumping solids in her 3 week old to!

Knowing my mum she probably has. This was a while ago. I dont want to know what goes on in that house :(

Would you be willing to give examples?

the girls:

A 6 year old talking about sex to other 6 year olds

children pole dancing - using football goal posts ages between 8-11

dancing sexually like 'rihanna'

talking about their weight they are too fat and want bodies like girls aloud

some parents i know have even let them have their nails done and hair highlighted :wacko:

The boys:

also talk about sex

guns and killing people is the main focus play but this isnt just cowboys and indians one boy even said 'shoot him he is a foreigner' !!!!

fighting and making comments about skin colour and race etc

playing football ends up in fights and abuse hurled

this is children all under 11

lot of junior school children have mobile phones and another thing i have noticed which is slightly off topic but year 3's age 7 are walking to and from school alone!!! as are some children in other years so ages 7-11 :wacko:

I agree that it's not the parents necessarily driving the change - I blame the fact we live in a media obsessed world, where we offer...and, indeed, are told me must...buy this, that and the other if we want to look like the much lauded celebrity du jour. Role models in this day and age are Cheryl Cole and the like, whose job is to look sexy. Sex sells. Young girls magazines then say what you can do to make yourself look like Cheryl...and so the cycle perpetuates.

Parents facilitate by buying their children the stuff to make them a 'tween' when they really are still a child.

I hope that my girls will have different role models and values. I grew up playing with dolls, using my imagination (another, separate, gripe...so much technology now robs imagination) My parents were strict with certain things...films we watched, tv shows etc. Nothing that cheapened women, objectified them etc.

It's a hard balance to strike, because you want your children to 'conform' enough not to be alienated and picked on...but you also want them to be strong, to have childhood, to be unafraid to be themselves in any way they wish.
I totally agree with that part. I know I can't protect my child against everything, but if I were to facilitate him/her, then I can't go blame society for everything.

My daughter is 9, and she plays dolls all day long. She has no idea who Hannah Montana is, what highschool musical is, what an "actor" is. Talking about boys makes her giggle, and she has never had a boyfriend or been kissed. She has CD's with Christian music and kiddies songs on, for her CD player. She does not own a cellphone, or an iPod. She has no idea how to get on the internet. She doesn't know what FB is, or twitter or any social media. I buy her clothes extremely selectively. No slewd slogans or adult female faces on t-shirts, not strappy tops or padded shirts or shoo shorts or anything that I wouldn't have worn myself at that age. I buy her innocent, long, flowing, fairy-kind of dresses. She looks very pretty and are happy and confident in her look. I also don't buy her high-heels. I don't allow her to put make up on to go out in public (she can play with my cutex or make up at home - usually she'll try and paint herself like a butterfly or kitten:haha:). We don't take her to movies with an age restriction on, we don't allow her to watch just any show on tv (usually she only watches Disney Junior!).

I can go on and on. My point is, my daughter (and boys) are innocent beings even amongst world-wisely classmates and schoolfriends. Because that's how we raise them. We're their primary influence and we only provide them with the things we approve of. We surround ourselves with likeminded friends, whose children are as innocent as ours. So that they can have social contact with likeminded kids, and not just those in school who's not raised the same.

That said though. I also agree that pressure is awfully bad on kids these days. I constantly complain about the workload especially. It's too much, too soon, too early.

That's awful with those kids reinacting that. So sad!

I feel like my hubby and I are constantly at odds with how to raise Claire. I'm always more of the hands on approach, at the risk of sounding silly I'd rather hug it out than to scold and yell. He grew up in a military family so he's always expecting her to be on her best behaviour at all times.

He constantly tries to reason with her, whereas I am always reminding him that she's THREE. Granted, she'll be 4 in a matter of days but yikes... there's only so much that a child can comprehend IMHO.

I agree that it's not the parents necessarily driving the change - I blame the fact we live in a media obsessed world, where we offer...and, indeed, are told me must...buy this, that and the other if we want to look like the much lauded celebrity du jour. Role models in this day and age are Cheryl Cole and the like, whose job is to look sexy. Sex sells. Young girls magazines then say what you can do to make yourself look like Cheryl...and so the cycle perpetuates.

Parents facilitate by buying their children the stuff to make them a 'tween' when they really are still a child.

I hope that my girls will have different role models and values. I grew up playing with dolls, using my imagination (another, separate, gripe...so much technology now robs imagination) My parents were strict with certain things...films we watched, tv shows etc. Nothing that cheapened women, objectified them etc.

It's a hard balance to strike, because you want your children to 'conform' enough not to be alienated and picked on...but you also want them to be strong, to have childhood, to be unafraid to be themselves in any way they wish.
I totally agree with that part. I know I can't protect my child against everything, but if I were to facilitate him/her, then I can't go blame society for everything.

Yeah - children don't work and so therefore don't have an income with which to buy what they want. Their parents do! When parents complain about their daughters dressing too sexy, wellllll.....who is buying it for them? :wacko:

My naighbours daughters are 7 and 9 they are constantly swearing and miah came home one day saying the oldest was talking about willies and what happens when people are in love (sex) i was mortified that she had been speaking like that to my daughter who is 6 and while at school, so I went to the head and told them to keep miah away from them as I couldn't have her listening to things like that, they are not the most pleasant of families to say the least, I have also been sitting at a bus stop when I group of young say 12/13 year olds where talking about who they had 'shagged' the night before and how drunk they were ec, it really is worrying

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->