Expecting too much from children

My pet peeve is people buying kids cellphones, computers etc. I didn't have a cell until I was 25! I don't think they should have a cell until they can afford to pay for it on their own. I also think they know about sex etc way too early!

I agree. I made until my twenties with no cell. Growing up, my parents knew where I was all the time and how to get in touch with me if necessary. They were never unable to locate me - all without a cell. Gasp!! :haha:

I grew up in a different time, I mean cellphones weren't even around until I was 19. :rofl: Hard to compare how it was when I was a kid versus how it is now, society always changes. :shrug:

Although I can remember a kid in my primary school getting sent home because he had a Bart Simpson shirt on that said "don't have a cow, man". The principal deemed it offensive. My, how the times have changed! :haha:

I dunno. I don't like how "grown up" little kids act nowadays, I hate the whole tweenager thing with little girls dressing as teenagers and older would but to be fair, its actually more normal, in the sense of human history, for children to grow up fast. Having a childhood extend beyond the first 7 or 8 years is actually a pretty recent thing as kids used to be working already by age 10 or even younger and if not working out of the house then doing a lot of work in the house (far beyond what we expect these days in terms of chores).
But I'd still prefer children to be children for a little longer, and not have so much modern gadgets like smart phones and iPads and other things that limit imagination.
But I will expect some things of my kids that maybe to some is expecting too much, but I expect my children to walk to school by themselves by about age 9 or 10, to be able to cook a meal by that age, things like that. Some degree of independence which might be viewed too early but to me it seems right.

I dunno. I don't like how "grown up" little kids act nowadays, I hate the whole tweenager thing with little girls dressing as teenagers and older would but to be fair, its actually more normal, in the sense of human history, for children to grow up fast. Having a childhood extend beyond the first 7 or 8 years is actually a pretty recent thing as kids used to be working already by age 10 or even younger and if not working out of the house then doing a lot of work in the house (far beyond what we expect these days in terms of chores).
But I'd still prefer children to be children for a little longer, and not have so much modern gadgets like smart phones and iPads and other things that limit imagination.
But I will expect some things of my kids that maybe to some is expecting too much, but I expect my children to walk to school by themselves by about age 9 or 10, to be able to cook a meal by that age, things like that. Some degree of independence which might be viewed too early but to me it seems right.

I agree with most of this :thumbup:

As for the technology side, I agree with not allowing mobiles etc, why on earth do they need them? especially when they can afford them. But generally I think it's good to have access to technology, the world is changing, who knows, the nest generation will probably all be schooled though iPads a home, but seriously, technology has changed our lives and it's here to stay and advance, I have no issue my children having access to surprised and limited sessions, I think there should be balance in all things.

I'm just scared children in the future will never know the joys of holding a book made of paper. Turning pages, smelling the paper. Same with handwriting. It's all a dying art :(

I'm just scared children in the future will never know the joys of holding a book made of paper. Turning pages, smelling the paper. Same with handwriting. It's all a dying art :(

That may well be true, sad as it may be for some as long as children are reading does it matter? Yes I get the nostalgic side of it, but life changes. I actually can't wait until I can go all digital, I'm totally OCD a lot clutter and although my books and DVD etc are organised neatly, I would love for them to be visible at all. :haha:

I lose faith when I seen children that cant spell, teenagers that sound words out and spell them wrong. Whole classes of them not on mobile phones. I find it hard to believe they are teaching any Spelling in schools now with that. I understand a few have learning problems, but not to the scale I am seeing. Its like a trend. And most cant read either.

Are humans getting more stupid?

It's frustrating, isn't it? I hate seeing adults that cannot read something outloud i.e. putting pauses in the wrong places, mispronouncing words, etc. I know I'm not the world's best speller, but I try to learn from my mistakes, lol.

I agree with this. I love the feeling of a new book, the smell, the feel of unopened pages.

But that said, I also adore the ease of my kindle. I think as long as children can still find joy & imagination in books, the format doesn't matter so much.

It'll be a sad day when children can't imagine themselves at Hogwarts with Harry without seeing the movies.

The amount of teenagers that can't spell frightens me too, like Dragonfly said. I know people my age that aren't good spellers, hell I'm not. But 15/16 sounding words out is scary!

I agree with this. I love the feeling of a new book, the smell, the feel of unopened pages.

But that said, I also adore the ease of my kindle. I think as long as children can still find joy & imagination in books, the format doesn't matter so much.

It'll be a sad day when children can't imagine themselves at Hogwarts with Harry without seeing the movies.

The amount of teenagers that can't spell frightens me too, like Dragonfly said. I know people my age that aren't good spellers, hell I'm not. But 15/16 sounding words out is scary!

Thankfully I love books and reading as do my kids, either paper form or digital, my husband has read less than 10 books in his adult life, I find it sad and bizarre, he isn't thick and can read fine, but he just doesn't.

As I say thus far my kids love books and I will continue to encourage them, I would rather a book any day over a film.

I looooooove books; I tried reading one from a tablet once; just couldn't do it :nope:

Isn't it true (heard this somewhere) that many children don't know how to properly hold a pen or pencil these days? Now that is sad.

Here's my view on it: when I was going through my initial pilot training, we were never allowed to use autopilot, GPS, flight computers, etc. We had to learn it all the manual way so that if a piece of technology was ever inop in the air we would have something to fall back on. It seems a lot of children these days are just going straight to technology and skipping the basics.

I looooooove books; I tried reading one from a tablet once; just couldn't do it :nope:

Isn't it true (heard this somewhere) that many children don't know how to properly hold a pen or pencil these days? Now that is sad.

Here's my view on it: when I was going through all my pilot training, we were never allowed to use autopilot, GPS, flight computers, etc. We had to learn it all the manual way so that if a piece of technology was ever inop in the air we would have something to fall back on. It seems a lot of children these days are just going straight to technology and skipping the basics.

I understand what your saying, my eldest can use a pen, to a fashion being only 3, the twins are 12 months, so not got the best penmanship yet :haha:

But the reading thing, does it matter if its paper or screen as long as their are reading, it doesn't hinder them.

It took me awhile to get used to screen instead of paper, but I like it now, mostly as I can pick up when I like, I don't lose my page, the kids aren't slobbering all over my book and if my out I can pick it up from my phone and carry on, then when home use it on the iPad.

Plus because I am thick at time, it's easy to look up a word, specifically if its an American word.

As for the kids, you can get books that read to you as well as being able to read yourself, so when they get stuck they can press the word and it reads it to them. Obviously nothing better than being taught my a parent, but think it helps as an addition to it.

Okay, okay.....older kids....... :winkwink:

Reading is reading, I'll grant you. But a proper pencil grasp, being able to use an analog clock, read a map, etc, are important skills imo.

:haha: Yeah, a lot of older kids cannot hold pens or pencils properly.

I was taught the same in school. We weren't allowed to use calculators. We had to do math out long hand.

Okay, okay.....older kids....... :winkwink:

Reading is reading, I'll grant you. But a proper pencil grasp, being able to use an analog clock, read a map, etc, are important skills imo.

I can't read a map :blush:

Which may shock you as your a pilot

I can read a map, but I was in the scouts. I know I want Alex to get involved in the scouts when he's old enough. I learned so much from them. I think it's important to get your kids involved outside of the home too. I see far too many children playing video games as opposed to playing outside. It's a bit sad :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->