Expecting too much from children

I can read a map as well.

I had a conversation with someone the other day who said that in a few more years they won't even be using pens/paper/pencils in schools anymore, everything will be used off of computers. Which seems sad to me, writing skills should always be a necessity. I'm probably not the best speller either, it was always something I struggled with in school though and that was before computers. :winkwink: I do use spellcheck, but I try to get it right on my own first to learn from it rather than depend on it.

My almost 4 year old knows how to use a tablet better than I do. :wacko:

I don't want Alex to have an ipad or a cell phone before 16, unless it has to do with school (like textbooks on an ipad, which actually isn't a bad idea and it will save kids' backs in high school).

I didn't either, but it was recommended to us as therapy for Claire with her Autism. She doesn't grasp basic skills that come naturally to NT kids, and the programs on it have helped her leaps and bounds.

:thumbup:

It'll be a long time before she has a cellphone though. Granted, she has no interest in stuff like that so I don't know that it'll be an issue for us.

I buy loads of books for William, they are so cheap on ebay second hand. 99p, world of books has loads and many more I use. I know kids that have never read a book unless they are made to. And to be honest in school you are made to so it isnt fun, drains the fun out of it. As for electrinic learning, I think google is great for learning, I have loads saved on pinterest for William to help him. But he wont have something his head is stuck in like games.

During my kids party some family came that where older, dragged by parents including my sister. They all sat on their phones and games consoles ignoring everyone ! Even my own parents have smart phones out. I was raging. I had made all this food and was serving it to them with drinks and they arnt even speaking to me as their phones and consoles where more important. Thankfully this time they didnt come, probably refused. If my kid was going out I wont give them something like that to "keep them entertained" as the surroundings of someone elses house thats being hospitable to you should be enough! keep that stuff for long car journeys, we used to play travel monopoly on car journeys, would never go to someones house and ignore them.

That would have upset me as well. We definitely don't play on our phones/computer etc when we are visiting, that's just plain rude. :nope:

Reminds me of a picture I saw on FB recently:

https://x04.xanga.com/f52e02fbd5432284331069/w226853666.jpg

I don't see how technology and books can't sit comfortably next to each other. Both my girls have shelves heaving with books...my family are all academics, so it was natural to grow up with books everywhere, and a tv the size of a matchbox :haha: Hwoever, that was before even the advent of email.

Technology is a necessity - and it can be used as a fun, learning tool. People sat addicted to tablets and iPhones is more about social etiquette.

I hope both my girls enjoy traditional and technology driven learning...like Dragonfly, I think google is just amazing.

More later, I've got to go and buy provisions!

I can say, book lovers can be equally ignorant...I used to have to be reminded it was dinner time, and could I put my book down!

I agree, the tablet with Claire has been a godsend. Not that the old fashioned way of doing visual schedules doesn't work either, but sometimes you can't just have a visual schedule for every situation that you are in. She gets incredibly distressed, but I can whip up something for her in seconds and then show her how everything goes about. She has absolutely no motor planning skills, so gets incredibly anxious when she doesn't know what the correct thing to do is. Stuff other people take for granted I guess, I know I did until we had Claire. :shrug:

But I do agree with DF - pretty much everywhere you go you see people sitting together eating or what have you and they are all on their phones.

^^
I was exactly the same when I was young :haha: Happy memories of being lost in another land.

My mom told me one of her friends refuses to buy her 4 yr old books stating "she can't read so whats the point" :shock:

Me too, I used to scoff my dinner down so fast to get back ot my book lol

I see kids walking around looking at the phones, not people, not around them. Heads down. The world passing by. I go for a walk with the kids and we enjoy around us. Other parents are chucking things are bored kids who want to play games. :( I cant even get eye contact with young people around here. And the older ones are hidden under hoods mumbling.

End rant
old lady.

I used to hold my book under the table and try to sneakily read :haha:

I was so obbsessed with reading i did it by the light of the bathroom coming in through my door whilst i was supposed to be asleep :dohh:

I was so obbsessed with reading i did it by the light of the bathroom coming in through my door whilst i was supposed to be asleep :dohh:

I did it by the hallway light coming in my door. Or I'd go to the toilet in the night and take my book with me :haha: I still can't travel anywhere without a book, not even go to the doctors without one to read in the waiting room - such a bookworm!

I'm just scared children in the future will never know the joys of holding a book made of paper. Turning pages, smelling the paper. Same with handwriting. It's all a dying art :(

Haven't read the whole thread yet but I agree with this!!! I love love love the smell of library books, and my OHs 16yr old daughter doesn't know how to handwrite as its been removed from our curriculum that long apparently... Sad.

I lose faith when I seen children that cant spell, teenagers that sound words out and spell them wrong. Whole classes of them not on mobile phones. I find it hard to believe they are teaching any Spelling in schools now with that. I understand a few have learning problems, but not to the scale I am seeing. Its like a trend. And most cant read either.

Are humans getting more stupid?

No but a lot of my friends & family are in education & the culture of education has sadly shifted... Regardless of whether the kid knows the material or not, absolutely none of them are held back anymore, they're passed to the next grade & the supposed reasoning is that holding them back is deemed harmful to their self esteem. I say being so incompetent amongst your peers also contributes to poor self esteem but I guess once its the norm that everyone struggles....

I lose faith when I seen children that cant spell, teenagers that sound words out and spell them wrong. Whole classes of them not on mobile phones. I find it hard to believe they are teaching any Spelling in schools now with that. I understand a few have learning problems, but not to the scale I am seeing. Its like a trend. And most cant read either.

Are humans getting more stupid?

No but a lot of my friends & family are in education & the culture of education has sadly shifted... Regardless of whether the kid knows the material or not, absolutely none of them are held back anymore, they're passed to the next grade & the supposed reasoning is that holding them back is deemed harmful to their self esteem. I say being so incompetent amongst your peers also contributes to poor self esteem but I guess once its the norm that everyone struggles....

There was one girl held back when we where at school. Also if you had problems your parents where told so they could help you at home, my dad was great at maths, I call him Carol Voderman. But now parents arnt doing anything but expecting schools to take care of it. Probably due to busy lives and taking things for granted.

I'm late to the table here but I think there are people on both ends- ones that build their kids up TOO much and don't give them enough credit, and those who expect too much from them. Both can be equally negative :flower:

They haven't held anyone back here in at least 2 decades. I recall ONE occasion- a student moved here from India and her parents wanted her to go back a year to catch up, that's it. They fail you at the high school level here though thankfully.

I feel it is ultimately our responsibility as parents to educate our kids. To speak out when our tax-funded systems are not working, supplement the material in the curriculum and take an active role in our schools- PTA etc. I plan to attend the meetings and run for council when Elyse is off to school (maybe after a few years when I've hopefully built up a good rapport with other parents/staff). I WILL NOT do her homework or spoon feed her, but I think knowing what's going on and helping to give them study/learning/organization strategies is acceptable. Or quizzing them from their books, the reviews they've created etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->