experiences working around radiation?

snuffleupagus

Reaction score
I work in the OR as a specialized tech (not a radiology worker). I have lead aprons available to me, but my employer does not provide dosimeters.

I'm less concerned about flat plate x-rays and more concerned about fluoroscopy (c-arm). I'm not able to leave the room when these are in use.

I have know plenty of pregnant scrub techs/CRNAs who switch off of these kinds of cases entirely. This isn't really an option for me. My question is, is this really necessary?

My internet research suggests that there's no concern for the baby, so long as your levels don't reach a certain point (I can find a way to get my hands on a dosimeter, maybe through the hospital?).

Of course, I plan to talk to my doc, but I'm curious about others' experiences. This will play a big factor in how soon I tell my employer about my pregnancy!

I was in the cath lab during my second pregnancy and they wouldn't allow me to be in the room at all when they were using the fluroscopy, lead apron or not. If it's absolutely impossible to rotate to another position away from radiation I would push the hospital for a dosimeter for sure. Usually the hospitals won't let you around radiation pregnant as a liability, but every place is different. There isn't a really good idea of what is a "safe" level because nobody is ok with experimenting on pregnant ladies and unborn babies with radiation. You might find once you talk to your supervisor or human resources department they will want to move you somewhere.

I work at a dental practice and we take x-rays numerous times daily. We aren't in the room, but it still freaks me out! I really wouldn't be going in the room. But that's just me.

Surly your employer has a duty of care? In my view, you need to tell them and get your duties rotated.

I work in a cath lab with fluoroscopy but we all have to have dosimeters. People who aren't working behind lead glass even have headbands as well now. As long as the lead apron fits safely we are able to work in the cath lab, most pregnant ladies give up the work because the weight of the lead aprons make their backs ache. I understand your concern about not having a dosimeter, it actually surprises me that you are allowed to work without one regardless of whether you're pregnant or not. I agree you should push to get one

Ok. I am a radiology tech. I am wondering one thing. When X-rays are taken, the flat plate are you shielded ? I know you said for the fluoro you are , as should be. But if not for the the flat plate, leave the room. Or some places have a portable lead shield. When I worked In the or , the scrub techs would go out the back door in the sterile area till exposure was done. Now. As prev poster said no safe amount known. Best way to reduce if can't eliminate is time , distance, shielding. We were always told at least 6 feet. Me I got 12. Less amount of time in rads best. And shield. Sometimes techs(rad) double up. Yes heavy but also more comforting. I know OR aprons are usually junk. Sad but true. Maybe get real friendly with an or xray tech and see if they can get one for you that had been checked for cracks lately. Or maybe they could check one for you. Find one and secure it for you in a hiding spot. Remeber if it is not a wrap around entirely. Usually a vest and skirt are wrap arounds. But most times or aprons are from only. Remember to never turn your back to source of xray. C-arm or. Also contact radiology physicist and see if you anger the badge.

Ah, thanks all for the advice! If the surgeon is not actually touching the patient I'm allowed to step out, but if work is ongoing I need to be by my machine. I have access to lead for all cases but still have some concern.

Maybe my best course of action is just to tell my boss right away (even though I am newly pregnant) and keep it on a need-to-know basis until the first trimester passes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->