expressing at work

kirstyloo82

Reaction score
im due back at work in a couple of weeks, and plan expressing for my dd. can anyone point me in the right direction of my rights at work as they are being a little obstructive about me havign the opportunity to do this, i need to arm myself with some info!

Sadly, this is what everything is saying:

Although there is no legal requirement, employers are encouraged to provide a private, healthy and safe environment for nursing mothers to express and store milk.

Have a read through:
https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parent...amilies/Pregnancyandmaternityrights/DG_065153
https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg373.pdf
https://www.hse.gov.uk/mothers/faqs.htm#a2

I think the best thing to do, is to explain to them how little it will affect your work. Give them details of how pumping will fit into your day, how you will make up for lost time working, what you'll do about things like meetings. Explain what you need (A power source for the pump, power source for a minifridge etc).

What are they saying is the problem?

they will allow me to have a private room but arent sure which one,not all have electric sockets, they want to know exactly when and how long during the day. they want this time out of my day to be made up, which im happy to do but this would involve being in the office at timeswith no senior managers and apparntly this is an issue for them (not due to lone working as the building is open and there are staff in other departments) but for supervision reasons so they are unhappy about this. they only have the fridge in the kitchen which we use for our lunch available. i just feel like they were being deliberately difficult

they will allow me to have a private room but arent sure which one,not all have electric sockets, they want to know exactly when and how long during the day. they want this time out of my day to be made up, which im happy to do but this would involve being in the office at timeswith no senior managers and apparntly this is an issue for them (not due to lone working as the building is open and there are staff in other departments) but for supervision reasons so they are unhappy about this. they only have the fridge in the kitchen which we use for our lunch available. i just feel like they were being deliberately difficult

How long is your working day? What do you think your pumping schedule will be? Three or four sessions? If each session is is 25 minutes, that is 1hr 40 minutes a day. Do you get an hour lunch and 15 minute break? That only leaves 25 minutes to make up a day - are they happy for you to split you lunch into bits to pump? Are there no supervisors for 25 minutes before or after work?

For the fridge problem, you can buy a little coolbag especially for EBM - it's made by medela, is black and totally discreet - we bought one for taking EBM from home to the NNU when Finlay was still in. Just freeze the pack that's inside, and you can keep up to 4 bottles of EBM cold for hours (or even just put the bag in the fridge).

Coolbag

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->