Extreme fear of flying - can i take anything for nerves?

Kmx

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I fly out on Tuesday and I absolutley dread every summer holiday because I know I need to go on a plane. Im not too bad when it is actually up in the air like thousands of feet above, i just hate take off and landing.

Im quite worried about the effect on my body and the baby because I really do get unbeliavably nervous and tense for about the first half hour of the flight then again at landing. I shake with fear and feel like crying - pathetic i know - but it is really my only fear. I feel guilty incase my baby can sense this panic inside my body.

Usually i would have a couple of drinks before the plane to ease the nerves but obviously thats not possible now. I am just wondering if the doctor/midwife would be able to safely give me anything for nerves - like a relaxant? Ive got an appointment tomorrow with the midwife.

Just wondering if you ladies had any thoughts or similar experiences?

I am almost positive Benadryl is safe in pregnancy and can really knock you out.

I was prescribed valium for fear of flying in my pregnancy with my son, i took 1 tablet before we took off anf my little boy is now 3 and totally fine :)

Just go see your dr and tell him your situation xx

I'd speak to your doctor and explain the situation. There should be something they can recommend which will be safe for you and baby.

hey
i have to take diazepam for flying because i have to be completely knocked out for the whole flight. This is why we cancelled our holiday to Dominican Republic on June 13th :(.

I dont recommend you take these when pregnant as it causes damage to your unborn LO, all i can think of is something like Kalms, a natural remedy...but they didn't have alot of effect for me because i get so bad :S

Maybe check with your docs xx

I'm the same way with take off, landing, and bad turbulence. . .I TOTALLY understand your fears (even though we both know there is no basis. . .but I know I still can't rationalize myself into not being afraid) and sympathize.

That said, I've had to fly 4 times this pregnancy, one of which was absolutely the most terrifying flight I've EVER been on (turbo prop with side you could see sunlight beaming through, trade winds, 15 minute VERY bouncy flight and a quick drop landing where they had to clear a hillside and then lose altitude fast to hit the runway. . .). I've found the BEST things for me are the following:

a. Remember that flying, even on sketchy flights like the one above, is actually safer than being in a car

b. THOUSANDS of flights take off and land every day without incidence.

c. Your pilots want to live too :) Them and the flight attendants take off and land several times a day on occasion. . .

d. The one and ONLY reason I don't drug myself for flying is because if something *does* happen (like that plane that went into the Hudson River last year and everybody survived) I want to be as with-it as possible to defend and save myself.

e. I do crosswords. Then, when it's time to take off or land, I hold the crossword book in my hand, close my eyes, and try VERY very hard to relax every bone in my body. Don't think about the plane, don't feel every bump or jar, just ignore it. Meditate.

I don't know about drugs, but if I can do it via meditating, you can too! It really helped me to think of our baby, think about my heart rate and how to keep it low, consciously think of my blood pressure, etc.

Have a great vacation!

Thank you so much ouverture. That means a lot to hear someone with such fear.

To JuJuk - its just the fear of being totally out of control of the situation and the thought that if anything does go wrong - like engines failing then most likley you will die whereas i know its safer than a car but in a crash it is likley you will survive. Its just the thought of being so high up and if anything does go wrong then there is just one way to go. Id hate that. ive been watching videos on youtube of take off - which i hate the most and it seems to be easing my fears a lot.

I hate the feeling u get the moment you lift off the ground and the gradual increase up to the sky. I just generally hate everything about it its awful.

Again thanks ouverture i agree about the drugs and the fact that it may limit my survival if anything did happen. ive got a book which i am going to try my best to concentrate on.

Kmx, have you had your midwife appointment and did she suggest anything?

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all of these tips as I have a flight today I am worried about. I really worry about stressing out the baby so much. Do you think all that sress will affect him/her?

I can probably suffer through it as I did last week if I feel like no matter how panicky I am, baby will be okay...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->