Facebook birth announcement

JeepGirl

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I just put this on my FB status

"Brodie and I are politely asking that anyone we tell that Aaron is on his way, not to post anything on Facebook about it. When the time comes we would like to be the ones to make that announcement. It's only fair, we will be the proud new parents :)"

Do you think that sounds ok? I didn't want to be mean about it, but I really don't want anyone else making our announcement.

That's completely fair.. I understand where you're coming from. My bestfriend didn't tell anyone except family when she was in labor, and after her baby girl got here then she announced it on facebook. They'll understand!

I have actually just deactivated my wall on FB, so that no one can post congratulative messages on there for all to see!
A friend of mine had her baby on Tuesday afternoon at 36wks, and although she had asked no one to write it on FB, someone still did it!

If you want to deactivate your wall until little Aaron arrives, hen just go into your privacy settings, and click customize, and scroll down and click the disable buttong next to "Friends can leave messages on my wall" (it's called something like that).

Then when you get online to announce his arrival, you can customize it back, and enable it, then make your announcement!

Wishing you all the best for your birth jouney hon!

That's a good idea about deactivating your wall. My friend had a baby the other day and I found out via the congratulatory remarks on her wall. Her baby probably was only hours old at the time so she didn't even get the chance to make the announcement herself. I admit that I added to the congratulations but it was already out there...

Starry Night, yeah thats it hey! If someone has already spoilt the other persons exciting news, adding to the wall is no biggy!

I know they can still comment in status's, but deactivating the wall means that if someone does, then less will see it, and your news is still yours to share!

I just put this on my FB status

"Brodie and I are politely asking that anyone we tell that Aaron is on his way, not to post anything on Facebook about it. When the time comes we would like to be the ones to make that announcement. It's only fair, we will be the proud new parents :)"

Do you think that sounds ok? I didn't want to be mean about it, but I really don't want anyone else making our announcement.

hmmm i totally see where you're coming from - but ouch!

i think i'll deactivate my wall if i'm bothered, though not sure if i am yet, good tip ladies!

Sounds fair to me. I am going to have to tell all my friends, if they happen to take pictures of our baby, to please not put them on Facebook. Hubby not keen on pictures being put on facebook anyway as he says it means Facebook then owns them and effectively can do what they want with them. Personally, I am not bothered as I don't think Facebook could have any use for our pictures (!) but he is adamant that he doesn't want any pictures of the baby to be put up there, so I will have to be strict with people! I should point out here that hubby is very easy-going about everything else, so obviously I am going to stick to his wishes with this one :)

thats sounds fair.. i would be the same i would want to tell everyone myself x

It's not rude, its fair! I haven't put anything on Fb about this pregnancy so noone really knows I'm pregnant so it'll be a surprise :D Xx

I've noticed that facebook friends (mostly from antenatal class) that have had babies recently, haven't been the ones putting their announcements up, it's been others saying congratulations. I think I want to be able to tell certain people before the rest of the world knows so maybe de-activating or asking people not to is the way forward.

I'll be deactivating my wall, I have family in New Zealand and Australia that I would like them to be told personally by me or OH and not via some random writing on my wall, Id hate them to find out that way due to time differences or anything.

i am having this dilema, with my first baby my boyfriend sent a picture message to his family and friend before mine and that ended up meaning my brother seeing a picture of his niece on some elses fone first! we have had the conversation that when this one is born he can tell his imediate family and then he must ring/txt mine before telling any friends. as soon as family have been informed of the safe arrival i think then will be the time to send pics to friends and update facebook !!x

I think you're completely right. I hope your FB friends do as you ask.

I've gone as far as not even telling my friends that I'm having a c-section next week lol. My family knows and have been sworn to FB silence, but I'm fed up with people asking if baby is here yet. I've notlied to anyone, just told them if I haven't had baby by next Thursday, they want to see me in hospital lol.

I want to be the one to announce on FB, it's my news!

we did this with isabel (sent out texts advising of her birth and requesting people didn't put it on FB as we wanted to) - people still wrote messages on our wall :grr:

it goes one better than that though...we stayed team :yellow: with isabel (and this!) and were excited we would be able to tell people what gender the baby was...i gave birth at 8:52pm and at approx 9:02pm OH got a text from my dad saying "congratulations on the birth of your little girl"...turns out my mum decided to ring the hospital as hadn't heard from me in a couple of hours (hello i was in labour!!!!!!) and it happened to be just as i gave birth so they told her what sex the baby was...i was fuming!

really want to just not tell people when i go into labour this time but as we will have to rely on someone to look after isabel i guess its unavoidable but i'll be so angry if it gets ruined for us again that way :grr:

I was going to disable my wall and then people can only comment on your actual status update - so just make sure you don't have a status update that is still going on from one you put up before.

The announcement seems a little OTT even though I totally get where you are coming from, but I think the above sort of solves the problem really - with no wall and no status update they can't do that annoying thing of writing 'congrats on your baby... ' when you haven't announced it, always annoys me too when people do that to friends!!!!

I am going to ring my parents, then my husbands parents, then text and FB message my best friends...probably be inundated with calls after that, and THEN I am going to make a public announcement on my Facebook wall.

when i went into labour i called my mum and dh called his mum then when i checked my phone after my son was born i had loads of fb notifications and txt messages cause sil had been told id gone into labour and posted on my wall 'my nephew is on his way, yay come on kelly push push push' so had loads of ppl saying congrats and loads of txts from close mates asking why i hadnt told them, i was a bit pissed off cause i didnt want anyone to know till i posted up his name, weight and time of birth but she had already ruined it and everyone had already said congrats :(

Since I posted the status LOTS of my friends have "liked" it, and commented that it is fair and they understand.

I had thought about deactivating, but that doesn't stop anyone from putting it in their status. I'm taking my laptop to the hospital with me, and I want to be able to use Facebook (just not put anything about being in labour). We only plan on telling family and a few very close friends anyway, and they will be reminded at that time not to put anything on FB.

Also, if you get tagged in someone elses status it will show on your wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->