Failed Glucose Test :(

LuckyInLove09

Expecting our little girl
Reaction score
Anyone else fail their 1 hour glucose test and have to go back for the 3 hour? My doctors office called me today and told me that the normal numbers are between 65-139 and mine came back at 145. So now I have to go back Friday and sit in the office for 3 hours to do it again. It's going to be a long day. :( I'm so bummed about it. I thought that I was eating pretty well and I've not gained much weight at all during this pregnancy.

Anybody else ever fail their 1 hour but pass their 3?

I'm sorry hun... no fun!!!! I wish I had some great advise... but, ya never know what may happen. I'll keep my fingers crossed you pass!!! Looks like you were barely above on the 1hr test... so mabye it was just a bad day????

I'm sure it's nothing you've done- it's not uncommon in pregnancy regardless of how well you eat etc...

:hugs:

My sister failed her one hour by a few points and passed the 3... try not to worry... I on the other hand failed a 1 hour given to me at 12 weeks and the 3 hour at 13 weeks, so have been monitoring and on insulin ever since. You just never know which way it will go...

I know there are lots of ladies on here who failed the one hour but passed the three, so try not to worry yet! :hugs:

Hey hun,

I failed the 1 hour last week and had to go back this week for the 3 hour and passed. I was actually quite shocked as I have a family history of diabetes on both my mom and dads side. I was unsure of how long to fast for as I was only told "overnight" so I fasted for a total of 14 hours prior to the beginning of the test.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything will be fine for you :hugs:

Thanks so much everybody! I was pretty down about it yesterday. I really wasn't expecting to fail it so I think it just caught me off guard. No point to let it get me down anyway because if I do have GD I just have to make the best of it right! I go back in tomorrow morning for the 3 hour test. I'm nervous because if I don't eat frequently I get nauseous and throw up. So I'm not sure how I'm going to go 12 hours without eating and keep that drink down but we'll see what happens! :)

Anyone else fail their 1 hour glucose test and have to go back for the 3 hour? My doctors office called me today and told me that the normal numbers are between 65-139 and mine came back at 145. So now I have to go back Friday and sit in the office for 3 hours to do it again. It's going to be a long day. :( I'm so bummed about it. I thought that I was eating pretty well and I've not gained much weight at all during this pregnancy.

Anybody else ever fail their 1 hour but pass their 3?

I've failed it with 3 of my pregnancies- this one I failed at 146, and passed the 3 hour. =) Good luck, I have a feeling you will be okay!

I failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour! :flower: Apparently 85% of ladies who fail the fast 1 hour test pass the 3 hour test as it's much more precise. I'm sure you'll do fine...the only yucky thing is you have to drink 2 of the orange glucose beverages (one I can handle - two was really hard) - Having a straw made it easier to drink fast so ask that they provide you one or bring one from home just in case. I brought comfy clothes and slept between the blood tests (brought a pillow and a long cardigan for a cover) - they were really nice and let me sleep in an unused room. Good luck I'm sure you'll be fine.

Also try to do it as early as possible in the morning...I did mine at 7am and was out by 10am...almost felt like I hadn't even done it.

can i ask what this test is and when during your pregnancy did u have it? my mw hasn't mentioned anything to me yet and next time i see her is at 34w
x

You would only have the test if they detected some protein in the urine sample I think (and as far as I know you are supposed to give a urine sample at every appointment to it gets checked this way) so not everyone does the test...

I have heard of people failing the first and passing the second. You didnt fail by too many points so hopefully it was jsut something you had eaten the day of the test. Good luck! On the bright side, if you do have it, atleast youre on the right track to getting it taken care of!

Does anyone know how long it takes roughly to process the results from the 1hr test? I had mine on Tuesday and am getting impatient waiting now x

I think it has alot to do with the fasting for the 3 hour! The one hour usually isnt a fasting one so there could be other things in your system beforehand. Good Luck and remember GD isnt the end of the world and can be maintained!

Hey I know how you feel, disappointed and worried. I failed my 1 hour and went back for the three hour and passed! My Doc said the screening has many false positives, she was right for me. Don't blame you it is not about what you ate, some women's bodies just react such a way due to hormonal changes. Wish you the best for tomorrow. Plan for lunch after because you will be hungry! Good luck, thinking of you.

ive failed my 1 hour 3 times and passed my 3 hour twice. the only reason i had it done so much was because i was IR before i got preg then the first time i had my 3 hour they told me to come back at the wrong time......ive passed all the 3 hours though......were not allowed to eat fr 12 hours before the test on either one or drink anything including water untill after the first hour

can i ask what this test is and when during your pregnancy did u have it? my mw hasn't mentioned anything to me yet and next time i see her is at 34w
x

The glucose test is to check for gestational diabetes- it is a standard test here in the US and is usually done right around 24-28 weeks (sometimes later).

Thank you sooo much to all of you ladies!! I love this board....it's always so encouraging. :) I went in for my 3 hour test this morning and it really wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. I scheduled it for the first appt of the morning and it went by fairly fast. After it was done I got to go back home, eat, and go back to bed. I have no clue when I'll find out the results but hopefully sooner than later. Fingers crossed for a good result! I'll post back when I find out.

I'm so glad that the test wasn't so bad! I'm sure they'll let you know fairly soon, keep us updated!

Lucky - please don't feel bad, I felt the same way though. I had to have both tests and was diagnosed with GD, I've come to learn after monitoring my sugars IT'S NOT ME! It's not that I'm doing something wrong, eating wrong etc. I was so bummed thinking "I've only gained 7 pounds in 8 months, thought I was doing so good!". It has NOTHING to do with that, it's just our bodies can't keep up with what we need and babies needs. There's nothing I could have done to prevent it, now it's just dealing until LO is here. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks so much again for all of your support!! I got my results back today and was told that I do have gestational diabetes. My fasting level was normal, the blood draw at 1 hour was 13 points over, the blood draw at 2 hours was 5 points over, and the blood draw at 3 hours was normal. She's very hopeful that I"ll be able to control with diet. I got in for a class on the 28th to learn about what I can and can't eat and how to take my blood sugar levels.

lilbeanfolk- That really made me feel a million times better. :) I've been beating myself up a bit thinking that I should have tried harder but I really didn't think my diet was bad. It wasn't perfect by any means but not terrible either. I've also only gained 10 pounds. This is definitely the last thing I was expecting.

I think my biggest concern is the growth of the baby. One of the first things that I said to my doctor when I met her at 8 weeks pregnant was that I do not want to be induced and I definitely don't want a C Section. Now I'm worried that they are going to tell me that the baby is huge and not let me go into labor on my own/take her from me early. That would be my nightmare coming true. But these are the cards that I have been dealt so I have to make the best of them. As long as she and I are both safe that's all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->