Failed my Glucose Screening...

Haack

Married Mommy of 2 Boys!
Reaction score
Went in last week for my glucose screening and just got the results back today. I failed... so I gotta go in this Friday for the 3 hour glucose tolerance test. Anyone else have to do that?

I'm overweight... but I think I already eat pretty darn good. So I am hoping I pass this test and don't have to worry about my diet & such...

Same thing happened to me! I think the screening one hour test is very flawed!! The worst part is now having to drink 100 grams of glucose!!! It was yucky.... But I passed it fine... I'm overweight too..I wear a size 16... Don't worry about weight... I have had friends who are thin who still failed the 3 hour!!

I'm also overweight and was eating quite well but still failed my GD test at 20 weeks. :nope: However, with just a few tweaks (I actually had to increase my good carbs though I thought I'd have to eliminate carbs :haha: - thank goodness for professional guidance), I have managed to control it very well so far (to the surprise of the professionals involved as they honestly expected me to be on insulin by now) just with diet. It's not necessarily what you are doing, so no need to feel horrible if you do fail it. My 'team' was wonderful in explaining that it has to do with placenta hormones and being overweight makes it harder for the insulin to penetrate or something like that. Some people are absolutely thing, active, etc. and still get it just because the hormones are crazy. I hope you pass it but if you fail it, don't be too hard on yourself. :hugs:

Same happened to me, and I'm overweight (by a lot) but I passed the 3 hour just fine. I guess it's actually fairly common for women to fail the 1 hour but pass a 3 hour test.

But, if you do end up failing, they have you consult with a nutritional expert to figure out exactly what you, as an individual, should and shouldn't be eating. I looked up some GD diet guidelines after I was told I needed a 3 hour test... and it's not really that bad. No sugar, less fat, substitute refined grains with whole, brown rice instead of white, stuff like that.

I've also heard a lot of women fail the 1 hour just to pass the 3 hour. AFAIK they don't tell you not to eat past a certain time the day before, and I've even heard some people saying they ate day of. I read online that you shouldn't eat or drink anything but water.. and it worked for me! I totally thought I might fail cuz I eat like crap. LOL

I also told my doctor, before I passed, that depending on my results, I wasn't going to take the 3 hour anyway. I would just go on their suggested diet. LOL Like seriously, what if you were just 3 points off?

Went in last week for my glucose screening and just got the results back today. I failed... so I gotta go in this Friday for the 3 hour glucose tolerance test. Anyone else have to do that?

I'm overweight... but I think I already eat pretty darn good. So I am hoping I pass this test and don't have to worry about my diet & such...

Yup i have to as well, i'm hypoglicemic plus i'm over weight.

Thanks ladies,

I personally think they should require a fast before the 1 hour test. Because I know I woke up at 4am and had a PB&J sandwich w/ milk... then 6 hours later took the 1 hour test. That could have thrown it off. I noticed on the bottle of stuff I had to drink, the directions even said to fast 12 hours prior. I asked the doctor about that and she said "you don't have to do that for the 1 hour test".... whatever!

But they did instruct me to fast before the 3 hour test. She said 12 hours wasn't necessary. Just nothing after midnight (my appt is at 8:30am) But I will plan on fasting an entire 12 hours anyways. Except water...

I failed my 1 hr by 3 lol so now I have to go for the 3 hr also. the nurse that called me said she couldnt believe they were actually making me do it! she said normal was 130 but used to be 140. So I would have passed back then cause my number was 133! gl hun :)

I failed my 1 hr by 3 lol so now I have to go for the 3 hr also. the nurse that called me said she couldnt believe they were actually making me do it! she said normal was 130 but used to be 140. So I would have passed back then! gl hun :)

For my one hour they said i didn't have to fast ether but i still didn't eat any thing after 11pm the night before (my apt was at 7am) but my results was suppose to stay around 129 and ended up being 150, but because of the hypoglycemia that runs in my family might be why it spiked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->