Falling in love with a name

Kiddo

Reaction score
We have a list of names that we like (some I like more than OH and vice versa) but none that we both are totally in love with.

I suppose I'm just wondering how you know the name you pick is 'the one'?

I keep thinking that somewhere out there is a perfect name, better name than the ones we have on the list but we've been through thousands of names in books, online and watching the credits go up on films and TV and haven't found anything better yet. I just don't want to feel like we're settling for something not perfect.

We don't really want to pick just one name yet as we want to meet LO first and see if it suits so need a list of two or three to choose from.

It can be difficult, sometimes you see a name and just know that's the one. Try between you to come with a short list of names you like, and consider if you want to give your little one a middle name. Write these down with the surname, look at initials, and whether or not the name can be shortened by people, consider if you would like this or not.

Like you say, come up with a few favourable ones but leave your final decision until you see your little one, and then probably you'll pick one thats just right!

We just had a list of anems that we liked but i never fell in love with one!! I always really liked the name lydia but oh hated it so holly was a compramise(sp?) I love it now tho!!

The only name I've absolutely ever fallen in love with is my first son's name: Gabriel. After that they are names I really like but not in love with. I don't know if that sounds wrong, haha.

I feel like we've often settled on a name, but as time goes on our babies have all suited the name and I think they couldn't be more perfect now. It was kind of asthough they chose their own name.

Callum was something we decided on when I was almost due. We'd gone through lots of names - Liam, Anthony, Matthew being a few - and then one day we both decided to look through a name book and wrote down a list of names we liked. Callum was the only name on both lists, so that was that. It was never a name that I loved before he was born or anything, but the meaning is "peace" and he's brought that into my life.

Katelyn was named after DH's Auntie, Kate. I didn't want another Kate so one day we came up with Katelyn and both decided on that. Again, I was never overly fussed by the name (I don't like Caitlyn/Kaitlyn spellings) but she totally suits it now and I think it's really pretty.

Lily's name was chosen by Callum. We didn't know her gender and I was convinced she was a boy. We'd chose the name Lewis and I referred to my bump as that. Just before she was born, we wrote a list of girls names out and then put them into a bowl and let Callum chose one. He picked out Lily and read it "Lily" which was really amazing because he couldn't read, it was so strange! Then she was born and we just couldn't agree on a name. I sat downstairs on my own with her the next morning, she was still nameless, and kept going over names and saying them outloud to see what she suited. I wasn't that fussed on Lily but said it and everything clicked into place. I'm so glad we chose it now, it suits her so well.

With this baby, I've got no idea what it'll get called. DH wants to call a boy Mark after him but I really don't want to call a child after a parent (His Dad is also Mark). I like individuality within our family. But then at the same time I just can't chose a boys name I like. Neither can I pick a girls name. I have a feeling the name will chose itself nearer the time.

Before having my first baby, I was name mad. I had lists of names I LOVED and then as soon as I got pregnant, my enthusiasm went! Even now I just can't get that same buzz used to get years ago when looking at names. It's weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->