Family hates babies name

Wyatt is nice :) I won't tell anyone at all my names, they can't say anyone once baby is here.

Personally, I would not speak to family members who decided to name our child for us when we already decided how our child should be called. The only exceptional if the child truly hate her name. Both my grandma and my husband's grandma use their middle name as their name because they hate their first name.

[/QUOTE] to hate a name so much is just silly imho

a few of my friends have kids names im not a huge fan of but I would never make up names for them or say I despise it, there just name I wouldn't personally pick[/QUOTE]

Not wacko, trust me, it's bad; people wince when they hear it. However, they do not know I don't like it, as it's none of my business. I just started calling her a cute little nickname and it stuck, even her parents use it. (I was called by a nickname my entire childhood, it's not unusual for my family)
I always hated my middle name and actually changed it when I was older.

Have to butt in to say Ernest isn't a redneck name! Importance of Being Earnest, anyone!? It's an English gentleman to me!

Oh, and Wyatt is fine. Ignore!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_P._Worrell (hehe, I probably ruin it )

This is exactly why I didn't want to tell anyone our chosen name (Penelope Anne) before she was born! Unfortunately, hubby accidentally slipped and said her name to a group of people and now everyone knows. We've since gotten both really strong positive and negative reactions to her name. My FIL thought that we were joking when we told him the name because he didn't like it at all. Hubby's boss ranted about how it's such a nerdy name (but truth be told, that's not a negative thing to us b/c we are both kinda nerdy). A random girl told me (for 20 minutes!) about her dog that is also named Penelope Anne (um... this is my CHILD, and not your darn pet!).

If you like Wyatt, STICK WITH IT. I regret giving up names we loved because of families opinions! While I love my DDs name, Its EXTREMELY popular where I am right now.

Seems everyone thinks they are entitled to their opinion about baby names. We weren't going to tell people our names list with DD.. My mom and MIL kept BEGGING to know. I told them they didn't need to know because it wasn't their child and their opinions wouldn't matter anyway. My mom swore she didn't care what we were naming her (and I quote "you could name her assface and I would still love her!") she just wanted to know so she could look at personalized stuff, I said no but OH slipped up to his mom who told mine. Well she hated Sophia because a million years ago she knew a Sophie didn't like her, and 'everyone would hate it and think of that wretched lady" then she hated Emilia because "its just awful, she sounds like she's going to get lost at sea" and she hated Adalyn because "there are no good nicknames, Ad- like add or subtract? or lynn- eww lynn. " (my mom also knows a lynn who did her wrong a lifetime ago.. sigh) then she would suggest 100 new names every day. Finally we gave in and chose Abigail which both moms liked, and my friend decided to tell me "Its a dogs name, don't name your child that!" -Moral of the story- You can't please everyone, so do what makes you (and OH) happy!

I love love love the name Adalyn.

I wonder why people - family, friends, strangers - feel its ok to give such negative opinions when they are not asked.

On here people ask for opinions on names and we are asked to be honest. If I don't like I usually just say its not for me.

But once someone gives their choices or the name, I can't believe the people who respond with "well I am not calling him/her that."

I love love love the name Adalyn.

I wonder why people - family, friends, strangers - feel its ok to give such negative opinions when they are not asked.

On here people ask for opinions on names and we are asked to be honest. If I don't like I usually just say its not for me.

But once someone gives their choices or the name, I can't believe the people who respond with "well I am not calling him/her that."

Me too! unfortunately it isn't an option next time around now as my brother has since knocked up a girl who has a daughter named Maddalyn and OHs niece just named her daughter Adalynn :(

ugh! I hate when family are so opinionated about names and forget that YOU are the one having the baby!! I love Wyatt

Screw them! Wyatt is lovely!

I know how you feel though, my grandmother told me that it would be cruel to name my son Oliver!
I did it anyway :haha:

People who refuse to use the name you choose are just plain ignorant in my opinion! We named dd Amelia but we use nn Mia as day-to-day. MIL refuses to call her Mia, she always (very pointedly) calls her Amelia. She even 'corrects' me when people ask me dds name when she is around!!! "No, actually her name is Amelia!" Jeez!!!

I am just utterly blown away by how many people have family members who try to manipulate their name choice by saying they will refuse to use the name.

I mean, seriously, WTF?!?! That is a SERIOUS case of entitlement!

Why do they think they get to do that? I bet they'd never say to a boss or a friend or a employee, "Hmmmm, I don't like your name, so I'm going to call you James instead."

I'd be so tempted to tell them, "Okay, cool. In fact, it's quite a good idea. I've never really liked your name, so from now on, I'm going to call you Fuckface." Then I would do it till they broke.

Can you imagine having that conversation with your child?
"Mummy, why does Grandma call me Anna when everyone else calls me Sienna?"
"Well, darling, Grandma thinks your name is ugly so she decided to use a different one." :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->