FEBRUARY HEARTS Due in February 2015 , open group all welcome!

Can anyone help me on this please!!

So I went to the OB on Friday for my normal monthly checkup. I mentioned that something felt off "down there" and wasn't sure if it was just from pressure from baby or a start of a bladder infection, etc. Well they took urine and that came back negative for bladder infection & UTI. However, my vaginal culture came back positive for a bacterial infection. I was prescribed Metronidazole Vaginal 0.75% Gel to do once a day for 5 nights. I know they maybe wouldn't prescribe it if it wasn't necessary, and the risk of the infection out ways the benefits of the medications, but I am freaking out about having to do it.
I did my research on it and it is a Category B for pregnant woman, but any advise from anyone that has used it before and not having any problems with it while pregnant would be helpful...

NO HORROR STORIES PLEASE!!

Thank you

It sounds like you have something similar to what I have... They gave me flagyl to take orally. I am worried and bummed about taking the medication, but it is definitely the better option. My infection isn't so bad, and yours doesn't sound that way either (ie. some people get much stronger symptoms than I have/you describe, which suggests a more serious infection)... It is definitely better to nip in the bud than allow to go just in case, as the risks of no treatment are worse than the risks of the treatment.

Category B is pretty much as good as it gets for pregnancy categories! They have a lot of problems justifying specific studies in pregnant women 'just in case'. So, other than some morning sickness pills, I am yet to see anything be given category A status!

It is what it is... It would be nice not to be taking medicine at all, but if you need it, then take it and be well. :) the antibiotics that are considered safe in pregnancy have usually been in use for a long time, and I trust the judgement that no patterns or problems have been found.

Good luck, feel better and do your best to relax. That is what I am trying to do! :hugs:

Ps. An infection is common- apparently 30% of women get one while pregnant. So, again that makes me feel confident that approved medications are pretty well tried and tested.

Thanks... I haven't started the medication yet as I wanted to get all the answers possible on it. My normal OB doctor is not in the office this week, the one that prescribed me the gel. So I must have talked to the nurse about 4x since yesterday when she called it in for me at the pharmacy. She has been very sweet and understanding on all my concerns with it and actually suggested that she would have my OB's colleague (another OB doctor in the office) to call me today. Well I just got the call from her and her suggestion was just opposite of what others have said. She basically asked me my symptoms as of now. I said I have quite a bit of discharge, but it is odorless. I said I just feel like something maybe just feel slightly off down there, but it is not uncomfortable or irritating. That OB said without having a sample of the discharge and seeing it under a microscope it's hard to tell how bad the infection is, but it sounds like it is very mild and to let it ride for next couple days and see if it seems better. If not, to come back in and have them take another sample to see the severity of it as the lab just comes back with Positive/Negative results and thats it. So I am just going to wait it out for a few days, go back in and have it checked out. At least I know that if it tends to feel worse I do have my medication here and can start it if need be before going in.

I hope you feel better SupriseBub!! :)

Glad you got an answer that works for you! :) would be great if it went away on its own!

Feronia, that is terrible that they fired you like that! I sure hope there is something that can be done, it just doesn't seem right.

Hello All :)

A bit of a latecomer but have been waiting for my anomaly scan. Fortunately all is well.

I'm expecting my 2nd daughter on 19th February. I already have a 2yo.

I'm 30yo and live in Leicestershire.

Hello All :)

A bit of a latecomer but have been waiting for my anomaly scan. Fortunately all is well.

I'm expecting my 2nd daughter on 19th February. I already have a 2yo.

I'm 30yo and live in Leicestershire.

Congratulations and welcome xx

Welcome to the group kiki :)

So our closest friends who work away for six months of the year just got back!! We keep in touch over e-mail while they're gone but we hadn't told them the news as we wanted to tell them in person! We had been talking about OH's knee surgery this summer when I got them to open the envelope with our ultra sound pics in.. the first thing they said was "what part of your knee is this?" :haha: So happy to have told them at last, they're so excited!

Welcome Kiki...

I just went back to read about Feronia after all this talk -- That is terrible! I am so sorry that happened to you. How are you holding up?

Megan: my midwife suggested www.doyogawithme.com - they have prenatal classes! So I do it from my iPad. :)

Feronia that is awful! I am so, so sorry! I was laid-off once and it came as a huge shock to me! HUGE company Christmas party the week before, no expense spared. The next week, they cannot afford all the employees and released 6 of us. Small company, so 6 was a decent amount of us. Seemed sketch to me, but I managed to find another job while on unemployment and, above all, I wasn't pregnant. I hope someone in Canada can help you sort it out because that all just seems SO wrong to me! :hugs:

Congrats and welcome, Kiki!

Congrats River on team blue!!

Welcome and congrats Kiki on team pink!

Feronia, I find it really suspicious that you were fired a few months before going on mat leave. You should totally contact a labour lawyer. I think BC’s Employment Standards Act says you can’t terminate someone because they are pregnant. (I’m assuming a uni is covered under the Act, but I don’t know.) I had a whole bunch of links for you in here, only to find out that you can't post links unless you have a certain number of posts. :) Google BC's Labour Standards Branch, has a bunch of info. I think you are protected under the BC’s Human Rights Code against discrimination due to pregnancy (the ground is sex), again, assuming a uni is covered under the Code.) If you were in a union, your collective agreement may say something about termination, and you would have a union rep you can contact… I really don’t think your maternity benefits are tied to a position, as someone else on here mentioned, but accumulated hours. Google Service Canada website, maternity benefits. I hope that I am not completely wrong with my info. Am mad for you!

Feronia, one more thing. If your university tops up maternity benefits, e.g. pays you additional money on top of what the federal government would pay you, I would guess that that would be tied to you being employed with them. (If they top you up - likely in your collective agreement, I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->