FEBRUARY HEARTS Due in February 2015 , open group all welcome!

Thanks, ladies. I just feel really down on myself, as I have been so careful. Lesson learned- next time, I just won't eat it as it clearly makes me uncomfortable. Thank you for the reassurance that lots of you are comfortable with rare or med-rare, and all is fine!

Sorry to hear your stresses, 2nd time. I agree with the idea of starting with a smoothie and trying to work back up to other foods. Remind yourself that you need to eat for you AND baby. Do you know where the choking phobia came from? It sounds like you need some help- things like cognitive behaviour therapy might help? And if it is really bad, there are some anti-anxiety medications that you can safely take. Obviously that isn't a first choice when you are pregnant... but high anxiety/stress and no food are also not great. In the UK, it seems like your gp is usually the first port of call. Or try searching for self referral therapy options in your area. I know some nhs trusts have programs that might help, and that you could try to get in with asap. I hope you are feeling a lot better already.

I am going to buy the Ina May childbirth and breastfeeding books in about a month. I am not quite ready for that yet, but love the recommendations.

Just had a crappy week... and exhausting weekend... so it's taken me awhile to catch up!

Feronia, I've been taking papaya enzyme for AR at the midwife's suggestion and think it really has helped. That and a daily intake of kefir. I'm finally feeling a bit human! I'm so sorry about your ear - OW! That sounds so painful!

Raspberry :hugs: I am thinking of you! You have so much going on, wish I could give you a real hug instead of just the virtual type!

I found out at my class on Saturday that since my EDD based on LMP was Feb 12 and my ultrasound was only 3 days off, they're saying my EDD is Feb 12 and not the 15 as the US tech told me. Biding a couple extra days in case he comes early again (can't deliver at the center before 36 weeks), perhaps? Not sure, but I'm changing it to the 12 and leaving it at that. :rofl: Sheesh.

Glad for the oils talk! I need to get my list together and put in my order to Mountain Rose Herbs for my oils. I keep forgetting. :dohh:

MissEyre I'm having loads of back pain too. My husband's been helping by massaging lately, trying to ease it. I've also been sitting on my yoga ball more to try and help build my core strength. Yuck. LOL.

Glad for your good news Melly! Always good to call than not, I think, and my midwives and doctors from the past have always agreed. Never can be too chancy with pregnancy! :)

Womanly Art of BF is a fabulously incredible book. :thumbup: Definitely helped me a lot with all our BF issues.

Needlessly panicked about my GD test, which will likely be sometime a week or longer from today. I know my midwife said they lowered the standards for the tests so she's been having lots of fails in first-round lately, and the second-round tests show the woman is fine. Just the stress I need! :rofl: I have decided to put all the Halloween candy in the freezer so I can stop looking at it and try to really be healthy this week to prepare my body... and then to keep moving forward in a healthier manner. LOL.

swan, sorry you had a crappy week! Yeah, my midwife kept my due date at Feb. 18 even though the 8-week ultrasound I had was 2-3 days behind. I knew my ovulation date, which my midwife said is more accurate. I'd personally rather have an earlier due date until 37 weeks and then switch over to the later one! :haha:

Is anyone else thinking of skipping the gestational diabetes test? I did it with DD but I'm considering skipping it this time since I don't have risk factors. I was reading this article by Michel Odent about his view that GD is a useless diagnosis: https://rixarixa.blogspot.ca/2008/01/michel-odent-on-gd.html He makes some interesting points, but I'm still deciding what to do.

Is the diabetes test done as standard over there? Is that the 2 hour glucose tolerance test or just a blood test? We only have diabetes testing in the UK if there are risk factors present, seems like a bit of a waste of time getting everyone to do it!

Is anyone else thinking of skipping the gestational diabetes test? I did it with DD but I'm considering skipping it this time since I don't have risk factors. I was reading this article by Michel Odent about his view that GD is a useless diagnosis: https://rixarixa.blogspot.ca/2008/01/michel-odent-on-gd.html He makes some interesting points, but I'm still deciding what to do.

I am going to talk to my doctor about either skipping the test or doing something different, like monitoring my blood sugar levels. As mentioned before I have IBS and I am on a strict diet. I really do not consume any sugar and after a lot of research I have found that after your body doesn't have sugar for so long (in my case almost a year) that drinking that sugary drink could totally mess up all the results and I could become very sick. Plus I guess if I was diagnosed with GD there wouldn't be much left for me to do. I already eat an extremely well balanced diet among other treatments that they recommend. I don't know if the test is optional for me but I am hoping my doctor will work with me. Thanks for the link to the article!

Feronia -- my ultrasounds match my O date perfectly but I won't argue against three little days I guess. :rofl: they're not expecting me to go beyond my due date anyway.

To my knowledge I cannot opt-out of the test. My only risk factor is being obese (well, by BMI standards), but that's probably a pretty valid one. I'm just dreading it since they changed the #s and a bunch of the moms I talked to at school last week said they failed the first and had to do the second, only to pass the second. The drink always makes me sick, so that's not exciting either. lol.

Not sure why I can't get it not sideways but there's my 25-week bump!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 3
Thanks Swan, sorry you had a crap week too!
You can definitely opt out, you could opt for different monitoring too. I hated the gtt and wish I'd looked into other options.

2nd time - how are you now?

Xx

Yes, everyone is able to opt out, and blood sugar monitoring is a perfectly valid alternative option! So is having a low glycemic diet anyway. Savvy, I hope your doctor works with you to find an alternate because it does sound like the test could do more harm than good in your case.

I will ask about their options at the center and see what they say. :) I haven't even thought about the test until this week it suddenly hit me. Unprepared. LOL

I know diet controlled GD is not a concern but need for insulin means I would need to change providers. Yuck.

So we will see. I have my appt tomorrow and will ask what other options they give, if any. I've had plenty of friends who've been denied the ability to opt out here in the US.

Just back from Ob appointment... yet to see the named ob on my notes or the same person twice!

She says both boys are still head down but they are more side by side (hence the pressure release from down low) both heartbeats were either side of my belly button :thumbup: Blood pressure is still in normal range but it's higher than it has been so far 136/78 (was 110/60 last time) They were not too bothered as my urine was clear of protein but if i'm worried i can pop to midwife next week and get it checked if i don't want to wait til the week after. So all in all everything is still great with my boys and pretty text book and still in line for the natural delivery i want :)

Hooray, so glad they're both head down shells!

Yay! Fingers crossed both babies stay head down! :D

Yes, everyone is able to opt out, and blood sugar monitoring is a perfectly valid alternative option! So is having a low glycemic diet anyway. Savvy, I hope your doctor works with you to find an alternate because it does sound like the test could do more harm than good in your case.

Thanks Feronia! I don't think it should be an issue since I am seeing a registered dietitian at the same hospital for my diet. I am willing to do something different if necessary.

Thanks for the article, Feronia. I don't think I'll be allowed to opt out of the glucose test. I am dreading it because I know I have hypoglycemia. I'm almost positive it's one of those things my doctor wouldn't consider letting me skip, but that doesn't mean I won't try.

Ok... so I can't believe I'm back in this boat again, but after digging more into Ina May's childbirth book, I'm wanting a home birth again!! I told my husband and he made some jokes about how we'd fill up the tub, haha. I think the idea of home birth scares him. And I'm certain it scares the rest of my family. But, I still think it would be better. After reading all about the hormones that come into play and the reasons women's bodies stall labor, and knowing how extremely sensitive I am already, I am nervous that I'll get to the hospital and end up diverting too far from my birth plan. My insurance doesn't cover home birth at all. I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll ask my doula what she thinks.

There's a really good thread in third tri at the moment about "allowed" ...

Ladies you are allowed to do what you like, no one can force you to do or have anything.

Xx

Thanks for that Raspberry :)

When I say allowed, this is what I mean: I am not "allowed" to do certain things such as give birth at the hospital of my choice- I am technically allowed to do whatever I want because this is a free country, but my insurance won't cover it. So they manipulate us into making certain choices. I can do whatever I want but it may end up causing me more stress than good. Such as denying a test that they tell me I'm required to have. If I deny it, and I'm being pressured by my doctor and told all the things that could go wrong and having to sign forms stating that I'm going against the doc's will, then that causes me a lot of anxiety that I just don't need. So... that's the problem with being allowed or not allowed. If I eat while I'm in the hospital in labor and they tell me I'm now allowed to eat, then that will only put me under more stress because I have some kind of discord with the hospital staff, and they won't be happy with me. Hope that makes sense. I wish my insurance would just cover midwives :(

Gah, that's so frustrating, Megan! I wish midwives in the US were covered universally like they are in Canada. CPMs are usually between $2,000-$3,000 -- is that by any chance cheaper than any co-pays you would be paying at the hospital? If I recall correctly, do you not live right next to the hospital where you were registered?

My family tried talking me out of a home birth, too, but it was the best decision I made. ;) This time they haven't said a word, they know I'll have another. Have you seen "The Business of Being Born?" That film has been known to convince wary husbands, hehe.

Yeah I agree 100% Megan. It's the difficult part of health care in the U.S. If we try to opt out of certain things we run risk of being forced to a new practice. And I don't believe it is something my midwives support as much as its more this "legality" thing of them not being a hospital. It's really frustrating. I love living here but some days the hoops are just insane Lol.

There's lots of women here who can give great advice on home birth Megan! :) it's sometning I considered and researched thoroughly. So much good input out there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->