FEBRUARY HEARTS Due in February 2015 , open group all welcome!

Oh my goodness, look at all her hair! Welcome, lovely Catelyn!

Congratulations she's gorgeous.

Still here too I'm 8 days late now and fed up really don't want to be induced but that's looking extremely likely to happen next Wednesday. Sweep yesterday was unsuccessful.

Sorry I'm struggling to catch up but I will add some more to the front page asap.

Re latching, my baby struggles to open wide sometimes.

I hold her in the cross cradle hold with my hand in a v shape at the top of her back and neck which offers support but doesn't prevent her tipping her head back.
Her tummy is on my tummy with her wrapped around close and nose in line with my nipple.
I avoid holding the breast as when you let go it will only move back into its original position.
Once she is latched I move my other hand around to cradle her and either keep my original hand where it is or tuck her legs more around and hold her bottom so she's hugged close into me.

Xx

It sounds like girls are having more trouble latching compared to boys, right?
I know my daughter had trouble getting a good, deep latch as a newborn, but this little guy latches like a pro. He came out latching within minutes with a nice deep latch and has done perfectly since, but I had a lot more trouble with my daughter.

I keep thinking he's sleeping too much though -- I read 16-18 hours a day is normal, but this little guy seems to sleep like 20-22 hours. Does nursing with ones eyes closed count as sleeping or awake? I mean, he awakes to nurse often, regained his birth weight within 5 days, and is peeing and pooping normally -- he just seems to sleep far more than my daughter did and what the internet says he should. Anyone else's baby do this?

Feronia ds had more head control and latched easier but I put it down to him being bigger.

Baby has only this week started to have any awake time at all, all she did was sleep and nurse. Literally.

Xz

Thanks, raspberry. I will try not holding my breast- the lactation consultant said to sandwich it in, but what you say makes sense!

It would be very interesting if there is a boy/girl difference.

There is no way my baby is awake 8 hours of the day! Although as you say- if you count nursing with eyes closed I guess I would be adding a lot more time on!

My dd slept so much the first week while I was in hospital that they had me prodding and poking her to wake up. Bs he even slept through two heel prick tests and her bcg! Enjoy it while you can, now her longest stretch of sleep has been four hours and that happened once.

Latching. In hold my breast to help her latch and then let go. I have to make sure I position her body way over towards my arm on the side she is feeding do that she maintains the latch when I let go. Then she has no problem feeding. Today it has been every 40-90 minutes since 10 o'clock last night. I'm knackered and so is she. Doing bedtime feed as I type, so fingers crossed she goes down for a good stretch tonight!

You poor thing, izzie. How long does she feed for per go? You are an infinitely patient and loving Mum for managing to stick with it! :hugs:

Thanks as well for your latching tips! I hope something clicks for us shortly.

Thanks, I'll stop worrying that he's sleeping so much. He seems way more chill than my daughter was and I never worried about her sleeping too much. Even the second time around there are different concerns, lol!

Feronia, my LO sleeps A LOT! She even slept 10:30pm to 5am last night so I think I'm setting the alarm tonight because that's just too long without feeding for me to be comfortable. Once I know she's gaining well I might leave her to sleep but not yet.

Re. latching, you get a deeper latch if you make sure baby comes at the breast from underneath touching with the chin first (this is all easier said than done with a wiggly newborn!). If you're sandwiching the breast make sure you're doing it so the widest point of the sandwich/hamburger runs across baby's mouth (literally as if baby were eating a hamburger - no point you squashing it downwards if baby's coming at it from the side). Experiment with different positions, even sitting baby upright on your knee which can help with reflux, something will work eventually! If you're using cradle hold, as Raspberry says, pulling baby in against you, their legs slightly around your side, pulls their head back naturally so they approach the breast at a better angle to get a good mouthful. Persevere ladies, you'll get there! :thumbup:

Dd has slept 7 hours 3 times and regularly does a 5 stretch and I'm fine leaving her. She's not been weighed since 12 days ish and she'll be weighed at 6-8 weeks (4 weeks today) but I'm confident she's getting plenty.
Xx

She's due to be weighed on Tuesday at 12 days old so, providing everything's ok, I probably will leave her after that! She cluster feeds before bed and again in the morning so I'm sure she's fine but just want to be sure she's gaining well first (particularly as I'm tandem feeding - I want to make sure it's not having a negative effect because I don't really know what I'm doing!) x

I've really been playing tandem feeding by ear. If I'm engorged, I'll often let my toddler nurse first a little on each side or if she asks and he's just eaten I let her nurse then. We've been having night time problems though... She was previously night weaned, and now asks for milk like every half hour and I am EXHAUSTED. She's asking more than the newborn... Today we were up at 4 and I was so angry. I'm hoping she stops this soon if I just keep saying she needs to wait until morning. I know she's happy I have milk back, but she gets plenty during the day and I need to sleep at night. :/ I'm not worried about his weight gain though considering he was past his birth weight pretty quickly, no signs of dehydration, and is peeing and pooing often.

Tandem feeding would probably have me feeling unsure to be honest.

Feronia my ds was unsettled briefly after baby arrived, started waking when he doesn't normally, wanting to get in my bed which he wouldn't do anymore unless he's ill. It should improve but I was so frustrated with it in the night too.
Xx

We had an issue last night too with toddler wanting milk at 4am! Hubby has been sleeping in with her since the baby was born (she came into our bed during the night before but because of my section incision, I'm scared of her kicking me and also don't want the baby disturbing her) but he fell asleep in our bed last night and DD1 came in at 4am having an absolute meltdown and demanding boobies. She didn't go back to sleep until 5:30! :sleep: I'm trying to feed the newborn first all the time but she's so all over the place at the moment it's difficult and there have been times I've had to feed her after the toddler so I'm just hoping that hasn't affected anything. Pees and poos are fine so I assume not but will feel better once I know she's gaining!

Still at the hospital here. Almost 36 hours after birth and we haven't caught a pee in her diaper. We all think that we missed one early on and the nurses need to see one before they let us go. We're getting better with every feed and she's pooping like a machine so there are no other concerns.

I'm trying to stay calm and just wait it out until one shows up but with the lack of sleep, hormones and everything else I'm pretty stressed about it.

She could end up having a catheter this evening but fingers crossed the great flood will arrive soon.

captain, I'm late on the congratulations but your little girl is beautiful. I'm sorry you're having a stressful situation right now. I'm sure she's saving up and will pee all over while you have her diaper off ;) They like to save it up to squirt all over you from what I've learned. Try not to worry you're in the best place for them to make sure all is well. :hugs:

I hope she pees for you soon. Ours took a few days to poop! Hopefully she doesn't need to be catheterised :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->