FEBRUARY HEARTS Due in February 2015 , open group all welcome!

Breastfeeding can be hard at times, surprise I presume baby has been checked for tongue tie etc - sorry if you already said.
Are there any breastfeeding groups you can attend locally?
Sometimes it isn't the amount of milk but baby getting access to it that can be difficult.
Have you tried anything along the lines of fenugreek to increase supply?
I personally notice a difference in my supply if I don't eat and drink enough, oats really seem to make me overproduce and if I'm dehydrated then my supply dips.
My baby "clusterfeeds" and fusses from early evening 5-7pm until she goes for her longest sleep at sometime around 10-12, she cat naps, feeds and cries for hours and there's no putting her down for more than a few minutes. I know I have plenty of milk and she often pulls off when I think I'm "empty" yet it's the middle of a let down so it's not always about hunger, or taking in a huge amount at once.
I know it will pass though as ds was the same/similar.
Xx

Thanks, raspberry :) she is definitely fine- we saw a lactation consultant twice early on, and she was doing well with milk transfer etc. I am fine with feeding her a lot/often for the time being, as I seldom have to do anything at a set time right now. But the screaming, kicking, arm flailing really has me thinking she is hungry and very frustrated. I am going to try and avoid bottles and just breastfeed and hope it is a phase. I guess time will tell.

Thank you again for today, ladies! :hugs:

I think you're already on the right lines with frustration - she probably has gotten used to the faster flow of the bottle and gets frustrated with waiting/working for milk, especially as 6 weeks is about the time your supply adjusts so your breasts will feel softer and you may stop feeling letdown which makes lots of mums think they've stopped producing.

Also, sorry if I'm repeating but have you tried burping her when the fussing starts?

I'm linking to good ol' Kellymom where you'll find that 6-8 weeks is a common time to see crying and fussiness during feeding, the page also lists some other reasons (I'm guessing this is the page you've already read but I'll post it anyway). I have every faith that you can do this, start believing in yourself, you're almost through the worst of it!

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/fussy-while-nursing/

Thanks, minibump. I had tried kelly mom on this :)

I appreciate all of your help! Kellymom says that babies tend to drink the same amount between now and 6 months... so hoping we can work through it and get to a happy place for the next few months!

I am in agreement with MiniBump and the frustration and also maybe wind.
xx

So I've figured that Catelyn might have a food sensitivity? I've done some research and she has all the symptoms; gassy, fussy, rash, lots of sick/spitting up and mucus in her diapers. I've noticed when I leave her diaper off her that she let's out some watery stuff too, much like diarrhea. When she fills her diaper it's not all watery, it looks normal, but she does let out this watery stuff at almost every changing.

I was thinking about cutting dairy products from my diet and see if there's any improvements?

When I saw a dr (different one from normal) he just checked her tummy and that her weight gain was steady, which it is. I'm still convinced somethings not right though. I'm thinking about trying this and booking an appointment to see my regular doc as soon as I can get in (which will be Friday).

Any suggestions?

My daughter had mucusy diapers for the first few weeks (or certainly weeks 2-6 if I remember right), captain. I was worried about it (and wrote on here!) and asked the pediatrician. (I even took a photo in!) he said the photo was completely normal. In the last two weeks her diapers have been much better, so hopefully for us it was just about her system maturing.

The 'watery stuff' sounds like it could be something... In an adult that can be mucus, too. Not sure if an infant is different, though. Has she done it all along? Or is that new? I think the only thing to do is talk it through with your dr. And get pictures of stuff if you can. i don't know if they can test for a food allergy? Or is it all diagnosed symptomatically? It would be rough if you cut out dairy and it turned out you didn't need to (or couldn't tell whether that or something else fixed her symptoms in a few weeks...)

The only thing I can think of is- If you supplement with formula at all you could try a sensitive or allergy type. Otherwise I hope your dr or an allergist can help. Most of all, I hope she outgrows it quickly and you can stop worrying completely :hugs:

I have to be honest, Captain, apart from the rash that all sounds like normal newborn behaviour to me too! My LO also has very mucusy poo at the moment (almost 6 weeks old).

Is Catelyn upset when she spits up or is it projectile? What does the rash look like and when is it present?

Sensitivities to food through mum's milk is actually not that common and would normally result in slow weight gain. Feel free to post some poo and rash photos on here or FB - we might be able to reassure you (or agree that it doesn't look right!) :thumbup:

True- post away! I'm not on fb, but can tell you whether the nappies look like ours did if you want to post here :hugs:

captain, I've been going through the same! Plus my ds has a rash that won't heal!!!! I was so convinced it was a dairy sensitivity but it turns out it was a combination of a fussy phase, a slight over supply of milk, and the rash is yeast. So I will tell you what my ped and lactation consultant told me... It's rare for babies to be sensitive to things in their mom's diet and you'd likely go to a ton of trouble cutting things out when it's likely just a phase. my supply has regulated a bit more and the mucousy diapers and spit up have calmed down. the rash is slowly going away with what the dr gave us. And I think the fussy behavior was down to a growth spurt as he gained 18oz in 12 days.... I bet it's a phase. hang in there!

if it makes you feel any better my friend did have a rare situation where her son couldn't tolerate her eating dairy. he had blood in his poo so it was a very clear reaction and her ped diagnosed it right away.

Looks like baby boy does have reflux, like I suspected :( We went for our two month check up and he has dropped down the percentiles in weight. He has been spitty from birth, but in the last few weeks it's been increasing in frequency (4-5 times during a feed) and volume (fills a cupped hand) and forcefulness (used to just be a dribble, now it's actually ejected out a ways). And he has been doing lots of arching/scrunching his face during feeds (he is breastfed). After we put him down, within 5-10 minutes he usually gags a few times and either starts crying or makes an unhappy face. So yesterday the paed diagnosed him with reflux and prescribed zantac. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

I need to move to an new area, every other baby that has reflux gets meds to treat it and all i keep getting is 'persevere' and we'll treat the constipation that what i'm doing to try and help is causing! My poor ollie was bleeding from pushing out a poop an adult would scream at (oh and he cried every time he tried to push this out which took 24 hours! He screamed when he finally got it out with help of a cotton bud and vaseline!) So i made a decision to take him off the reflux milk and back on regular newborn milk, with colief added and switched to dr brown bottles - it's better, but still not right! He's not eating enough like he used to and is still screwing up, coughing and gagging during feeds. Haven't had a projectile vomiting for a few days so i'm hoping what i've done at least keeps that from happening!

He's not losing weight, but there was only 12 oz between my boys, there is now 1lb 7oz between them.

Good luck, melly. My niece was awful with it- ie. Screaming all the time. They got her on medication and did things like smaller feeds and propping up her crib. I hope someone with firsthand experience on here may offer a better insight. :hugs:

That sounds awful, shells. Poor little guy! :( I hope things are improving :hugs:

I just went to pay our rent with my lo in the moby wrap. The apartment cleaning lady came right over and started touching her leg :( I know it is a bit unreasonable, but I was really upset about it. We haven't even taken her to the supermarket, so I just hated the idea of this random person touching her. I became a real germaphobe in pregnancy, but I guess she has to interact with the world at some point! Anyone else in a similar boat?

shells you are going to have to demand a referral.

Melly my ds had reflux and was on gaviscon, dd has reflux and is on Ranitidine (Zantac) and gaviscon. It's improved things but she's not 100%.

Xx

Melly, my Mackenzie has severe reflux. She is on Zantac three times a day. Burping her often, keeping her upright after feeds has helped. I think Madison also has reflux since she just started throwing up some feeds, arching her back during feeds and crying. Now she is only taking about 50-75% of her feeds before refusing the bottle. I was tempted to give her some Zantac but we have a doctor appointment next week so I hope they can give her a diagnosis.

Have you gotten anywhere with a pelvic physio, feronia? I saw an amazing urogynecologist this morning and he will refer to pelvic therapy.

If anyone else has or suspects a prolapse, I definitely recommend being proactive and getting whatever help you can sooner, rather than later :flower:

I want to thank everyone for the help and advice a couple of days a go, I really don't know what I'd do without you all!

Well it turns out it was thrush. ttc, reading your post was like a light bulb moment so thank you!

Feronia, I forgot to say in my last post but a play date would be awesome! I hope we don't end up switching places and missing each other :haha:

Have you gotten anywhere with a pelvic physio, feronia? I saw an amazing urogynecologist this morning and he will refer to pelvic therapy.

If anyone else has or suspects a prolapse, I definitely recommend being proactive and getting whatever help you can sooner, rather than later :flower:

It went well actually, thanks! She was very thorough in assessing me and it turns out I have nothing to worry about. She said there was a very, very minor bladder prolapse but it would probably correct on its own and is pretty normal for just being 5 weeks postpartum (what I was when she saw me). She gave me exercises to do to help. She also assessed my diastasis recti and it was a 1.5, and when she taught me how to breathe properly (lol, I had no idea you could breathe incorrectly) and when I did that the separation went to under a 1! I totally recommend seeing a pelvic floor physio, especially if you suspect prolaps (as SurpriseBub says) or if you're having bladder problems like any leaking. They can help!

I've still been having the awful cramps and back pain though, and saw my chiro today and she did a thorough adjustment and the pain is gone! She said my pelvis was misaligned or something -- who knows what's causing that.

Anyway, sorry for all the reflux diagnoses happening! I hope your babies start feeling better, soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->