• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

FEBRUARY HEARTS Due in February 2015 , open group all welcome!

Yes, my lo holds her head steady almost always now. She does tummy time everyday, but only likes it in short bursts. I have to distract her so she forgets what she is doing, so we do five minutes two or three times a day. Stacking cups worked brilliantly today as she was stretching to see the top!

My daughter loves doing tummy time, I'm surprised that she does

Thanks, ladies. Looks like something we need to just keep an eye on... I think she just isn't that motivated/interested, which is why it isn't worrying to me just yet. :)

surprise, two things.... first, our retired pediatrician who I LOVED always said if babies hate tummy time just don't do it. He said it only speeds up rolling over by a few weeks and in the grand scheme of things it's nothing to worry with. Second....

ds1 hated it. He didn't roll over until the day before his 4 month bday. ds2 loves tummy time and rolled over a week before he turned 4 months.

you're right not to worry. if there were any huge developmental concerns I think you'd see other signs and honestly it's not like you see the average 2 year old not be able to roll over ;) Don't stress they all catch up :) :hug:

Thanks, ttc! I think we just realised recently that she is a bit behind the norm. She is improving for sure- will be interested to see what the pediatrician advises if she isn't rolling by 4 months. I do think it is more about motivation than ability! I just ordered a special tummy time mat ($20... Nothing too OTT!) it would be nice if she liked that.

Great.. Now I miss your retired pediatrician, too!

My lo has the snuffles. Not enough to need medicine, but sneezing and blocked nose. Any recommendations?

Met a mum today whose lo is younger than mine - 31/2 months. He is already on baby rice? I guess that is right for them and don't want to judge, but I was going with weaning at 6 months, or closer to it?

izzie, have you tried baby saline drops? My oldest got his first cold at 5 months and we did the saline drops and it cleared right up :)

We are weaning after 6 months too. I have a feeling we'll wait till close to 7 months though like I did with my first.

Surprise, you'll have to let us know how she likes the mat :) Sounds cute :)

I am shocked when people wean so early these days, DD is 15/16 weeks (I forget), and she is absolutely no where near ready.

As for rolling/tummy time, she sometimes naps on her front but hates it when awake, in fact hates laying down full stop so she never/very rarely gets put on the floor so I have no idea if she could or not. I am not worried in the slightest, surprise I wouldn't think your LO is behind. In any case they aren't babes for long, I am not one for encouraging them to grow up too quickly.

xx

xx

Okay, trying to keep this from being an in-law rant but here goes...

How much are you comfortable with other people (as in, family members) doing things with your babies?

The reason behind this question is that my in-laws (DH sister and her kids, both adults) are visiting and one or two things have made me a little uncomfortable.

First, they asked me if I still had the baby wrap to wear her. I bought one and Catelyn hates it, so I took it back. DH's neice (an adult) said she wanted to wear her while she was here. I've never even heard of anyone except the parents wearing babies (maybe things like nannies of course) luckily I had the excuse of not having it any more so issue avoided. I still thought it was a bit odd though.

Then there was bath time. We don't have a bath so I haven't been able to take her in with me. This week on holidays we all stayed at a rented cabin which had a bath in our on-suite, so I got to take her in with me and found it a really intimate bonding experienc! This evening the neice "called shotgun" on giving her a bath, which I didn't really mind as I'd expected it to be in the sink we now have in our hotel room. DH missed this conversation so when she mentioned it to him later on this evening he said he thought that I was taking her in the bath with me again, then she said that she would do that instead of bathing her in the sink? Thankfully she ended up being bathed in the sink but it still rubbed me the wrong way?

Then her brother, he constantly takes the stroller at every opportunity. We were at a museum today and I literally let go for one second to brush my hair out of my face and he took it and started walking with her! And then he did it again while I was holding onto it!! If we go anywhere with them they insist on feeding, changing and pushing her!

I'm glad they love her and have taken such a shine to her but really some of this week has just been plain weird!

Sorry this turned into such a long rant.. I'm sitting here in the bathroom after the bath incident and feel like I need to vent! Someone please tell me I'm not just full of crazy new mom hormones?!

captain, don't worry! you aren't just hormonal! I think it is odd! oh man even if one of my sisters wanted to wear my lo I'd be a little weirded out. And we're VERY close! I was cringing reading about the bath time incident. yikes you poor thing. It's tough but I think you should establish some boundaries. Maybe if someone takes the stroller say "hey that really freaks me out!" Or stuff like the bath say "we've decided that only dh and I will bathe her." My mil was constantly being so weird with wanting to change ds1's diaper. I finally said "you know dh and I decided we're not comfortable with others changing him." ugh you poor thing I really feel for you!

I don't think you have anything to worry about, i expect that they are trying to spend as much time as possible with her and also give you a break. I do understand how it would make you feel though and anyone other than the parents IN the bath is odd, giving a bath is fine imo.
Xx

Captain, vent away! I would feel like some of the things are weird too like wearing her or giving her a bath. But I think maybe they are just trying you give you a bit of a break by pushing her stroller, feeding and changing her. If you feel uncomfortable maybe try to say something to them.
I have a hard time with others because I like how I do things and sometimes feel like others don't do things right...or I have to correct them, like how to feed the babies because of their reflux. So I have a hard time letting others "help" because I feel like they will do things wrong. Except for changing diapers...if someone wants to help change diapers, I get excited!
I hope things get better for you. How much longer are they visiting?

I wouldn't want someone going in the bath with my baby, but depending on the person wearing would be okay. I'm in a big local babywearing group and people frequently wear one another's babies. Your personal comfort matters though, so if you don't like it, it's totally fair!

My best advice with in-laws is to speak up! On our trip in December, FIL kept trying to put DD on his lap when she didn't want to. She'd be crying and he'd try to force her, which was NOT OKAY! I kept ranting to DH about all of this, but I felt so much better when I actually talked to both FIL and MIL about how they were acting.

I would think the bath thing was weird, but I have happily let my mother and sister wear one of the twins - if for no other reason than its hard for me to wear them both!

Captain i'm with you on all counts there lol But I am one neurotic mother! I've been like it from day one and even my sister kissing my boys - i hate it! She is my sister not even an in-law lol I am very over protective and jealous of anyone doing anything with my babies (unhealthy.. maybe? I don't care!) I'm getting better, slowly! I rarely let anyone push my pram other than DH, my mum i'm not too bad with. I don't even like mum changing nappies.

I don't know weather it's because i want to savor every last second of this as this is the only time i will have babies( i'm sure anyone with an interest in psychology will be analyzing all this lol) They have lots of contact with family, i'm fine with them holding them and even feeding them now (that took some time too lol) There is no way on this earth i would let anyone else wear one of mine (not that we baby wear my back wouldn't take it).

As for baby rolling over... mine at 4 month old do not roll over yet, that bit i'm not worried about, they have plenty of time on the floor playing with the play gym and they wriggle and can move around in circles lol

shells, you and I are the same! I thought with my first I didn't want other people doing things because I had such a traumatic delivery. But ds2 birth couldn't have been more relaxed and I'm the same with him.

Kind of an odd question, but has anyone looked back and realized they might have had postpartum depression after #1, but didn't realize until after #2 was born? I really really think I had ppd after my first but didn't realize it until now that everything has been so much nicer after ds2 got here. I just had uncontrollable rage, everything was overwhelming, I cried everyday, worried constantly...I didn't get help at the time because I.thought it was just hormones or normal after giving birth. also I wasn't suicidal and thought I'd need to be to really have ppd. This time sure I have mood swings here and there but nothing like last time.
I was thinking I wish I got help. but I can't be the only one this happened to. anyone else?

Omg ladies, serious question. Do any of you ever feel "phantom kicks" feels like a baby is kicking from inside. I was reading up on it & someone says it could be uterine spasms or something called (forgot the name) but it's something I'm going to bring up at my next doctors appt. just wondering if any other ladies experienced the same thing?

Captain, I'm not a neurotic mother.. No more so than anyone else. ;-) BUT- Dare somebody to take my stroller with my baby and walk off. Invasive, rude, and disrespectful. And they'd hear from me!

It's one thing to be helpful and quite another to swoop in and try to play house with my baby. I let family sit down and hold my baby.. Make faces, play a bit. They can ASK to help me with a change or dressing etc. Or I'll let them know if I want help. But my kid isn't public property and nobody needs to be taking liberties without deferring to mama. That's just what's up.

I've had to be pretty blunt here and there. I just blame it on hormones or being a nervous FTM. People forget about boundaries with the excitement of a new baby... Sometimes u gotta lay it on em! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->