***February Lovebugs 2011 - 3rd tri*** 10 girls and 9 boys born

pgp is another word for spd xxx

why are lots of people getting induced when they are aren't even overdue or anything?

personally my due date is in a WEEK and i'm happy for bubs to stay put for now :D more time to get stuff done :p

xxx

being induced is my worst fear haha , ok maybe not my worst but its something im hoping to avoid , for me personally id only do it if it was a medical reason or was very overdue , but everyone has their reasons , seems to be a different policy in the usa with reards to induction and maternity pay etc seems the norm there from what im reading.

....Even if Brooklyn decided to stay in there until March, I still don't think I'd feel comfortable with being induced unless there was medical urgency. I wish you the best of luck 1sttimemom, but I also recommend to research being induced early just a little bit - Don't take everything the doctor tells you as gospel....it's more convenient for him to schedule an induction than let you go on your own...and that might be part of his motivation. I just wouldn't want you to end up with a C-section or something that you could have avoided because your body wasn't ready for labor. :hugs:

I feel really thick here I just don't understand lol - you can actually say to your doctor in the US 'i want my baby out early' and they just do it??? Aren't there any rules or laws or anything about it? xxx

being induced is my worst fear haha , ok maybe not my worst but its something im hoping to avoid , for me personally id only do it if it was a medical reason or was very overdue , but everyone has their reasons , seems to be a different policy in the usa with reards to induction and maternity pay etc seems the norm there from what im reading.

Yeah...the US is pretty "behind" or "backwards" or just plain screwed up when it comes to Childbirth...Not only are homebirths unheard of by 99% of the population, but in my state, they are ILLEGAL with a midwife...It's pretty ridiculous...and doctors tend to schedule inductions and c-sections for convenience reasons rather than medical reasons...In some places the c-section rate is over 35%...which in my opinion is WAY too excessive. Unfortunately, doctors are supposed to be people we can trust and so when they tell us something, a lot of women don't question it...I guess that's what happens when health care is more focused on the dollar signs than the patients....they make WAY more money if they perform a c-section than they do for natural birth. Anyways, that's the end of my rant. LOL

I feel really thick here I just don't understand lol - you can actually say to your doctor in the US 'i want my baby out early' and they just do it??? Aren't there any rules or laws or anything about it? xxx
Unfortunately!...and in a lot of places, you can choose HOW you want the baby out. Ex: "I think I'd like a scheduled c-section on this day." Pretty messed up if you ask me.

Recently a girl I went to school with who was due a few days after Christmas was induced on Dec 22nd so "the baby could be home for Christmas." ....The baby was TINY and was monitored for 24 hours, but still made it home for Christmas, so I guess the mom got what she wanted (and the doctor didn't have the risk of being called in on Christmas).:growlmad:

Yeah...the US is pretty "behind" or "backwards" or just plain screwed up when it comes to Childbirth...Not only are homebirths unheard of by 99% of the population, but in my state, they are ILLEGAL with a midwife...It's pretty ridiculous...and doctors tend to schedule inductions and c-sections for convenience reasons rather than medical reasons...In some places the c-section rate is over 35%...which in my opinion is WAY too excessive. Unfortunately, doctors are supposed to be people we can trust and so when they tell us something, a lot of women don't question it...I guess that's what happens when health care is more focused on the dollar signs than the patients....they make WAY more money if they perform a c-section than they do for natural birth. Anyways, that's the end of my rant. LOL

wow

Unfortunately!...and in a lot of places, you can choose HOW you want the baby out. Ex: "I think I'd like a scheduled c-section on this day." Pretty messed up if you ask me.

Recently a girl I went to school with who was due a few days after Christmas was induced on Dec 22nd so "the baby could be home for Christmas." ....The baby was TINY and was monitored for 24 hours, but still made it home for Christmas, so I guess the mom got what she wanted (and the doctor didn't have the risk of being called in on Christmas).:growlmad:

it does seem a bit mad , its a bit like messing with science/god/nature w/e to me lol

it does seem a bit mad , its a bit like messing with science/god/nature w/e to me lol

Totally...US doctors have the mindset that childbirth is an emergency and needs to be "fixed"....I wish Midwives were more accepted because frankly, OB's are surgeons, and they are not trained for natural childbirth. To them, "going natural" simply means not having a c-section.:nope:

Preach it Virginia! hahaha. But yea you've pretty much said everything I was going to and then some.

All these different rules and then they throw u out of Hosp literally after a day or 2 here they send u home, I remenber I was kept in for a wk on my DD so she could have her BCG and heel prick test b4 let home. Then 4yrs later on my DS I was told I could go home after 6hrs if giving birth no way did I anything could go wrong. No one cares anymore were all just a Number :(

Wow! Thank you Virginia on phone ATM so can't type well but have more to say on this subject later lol! Xxx

My 2nd and 3rd were both in induced at 38 weeks. Everything went smoothly. They were both around 7 1/2 pounds.

Lucky for me, my doctor even said he will not start the pitocin if the gel packs don't dilate me enough. He even warned me that it can take a couple of days. But he was also my sister's doctor 12 years ago. He believes in doing all he can to avoid c-sections, and even has a live-in apartment attached to the hospital so that he can be there no matter what. He also lives just across the street from the hospital, and has said that even if he isn't considered "on call", if a patient needs him, he's there. He actually, for my sister, came in even though he wasn't 'on call' because she told the nurse she didn't want any doctor but hers. He is a VERY sweet man. I did a ton of research, and know that not all the dates are exact for a lot of women. But that is why he actually did a scan first to check organ function and such, making sure it would be 'safe'. He said that if I were not thinned at all, or dilated in any way, he wouldn't consider it, either... I am just lucky that all my dates have been dead on, and that the scans showed her as being completely healthy and on date :)

I think if I had a different doctor, I wouldn't trust it.. Or if it were his 'assistant' or anyone else, I wouldn't trust it. But because of his reputation in my state and how well he treated my sister when she had him, I feel comfortable with his word.

But yes, US has some completely different policies. Granted here, to be a midwife, you don't have to go to any type of schooling. So that means that ANYONE can be a midwife here. Things are pretty messed up and different. Most doctors do only care about the money. But my doctor has even waived fees for me in the beginning of my pregnancy because the state messed up my insurance and he didn't want me to go without care because of it...

i live in the us and was induced with my first, on my due date. however i was induced to to blood pressure issues. my blood presure has been fairly normal this time. the doc i have now does not do them unless absolutly necasary. same with c-sections. so i guess here it depends on the doctor.(sorry about spelling)

i live in the us and was induced with my first, on my due date. however i was induced to to blood pressure issues. my blood presure has been fairly normal this time. the doc i have now does not do them unless absolutly necasary. same with c-sections. so i guess here it depends on the doctor.(sorry about spelling)

It does depend on the doctor and the area. My doctor is actually fairly decent - I think she'd need a pretty good reason to induce or to do a c-section....unfortunately, that isn't the norm in the US.

I must admit i just can't get my head round why you would want to interfere with nature unless something is going wrong? Surely the more you fiddle, the more things ARE likely to go wrong?

I intend to hold out as long as possible before I have to be induced, will try nature's ways of getting things started but not until I am up to my due date :shrug: call me old fashioned but if it works why fix it?!!

Having said that, you do seem to have looked into it 1sttimemom, I just hope that all goes as you expect. :)

yes exactly.. this is what i don't understand - the way to 'avoid c section as much as possible' would be to NOT induce unless there was a medical reason...

i know it is very different in the US to the UK and I think we are VERY lucky here to have the NHS and fully qualified midwives that have had minimum of 3 years education and a degree and the option of hospitals, home births, or birth centers for most of us...

people complain about our midwives a LOT but i love the fact they practice evidence based care and generally will not do anything that could cause adverse outcomes unless it is medically important

by the way 1st time mom this convo is nothing against you! i wish you all the best with the induction, was just trying to understand it xxx

It does depend on the doctor and the area. My doctor is actually fairly decent - I think she'd need a pretty good reason to induce or to do a c-section....unfortunately, that isn't the norm in the US.

Yeah very true. I too am in the US and DR will not dialate unless I am 7-8 days over I believe. Thats fine with me because ID rather go naturally anyway.:hugs:

i agree...when i went into labour because i was only 36+5, instead of doing an internal examination she did a speculum to check my cervix so not to stimulate contractions because i was preterm.

Thanks ladies for your comments about Mason...we are both great thanks, he sleeps really well, last night he slept from 1.00am until 6.30am....Paiyton didn't sleep that long until she was 8 weeks old :)

can't wait for some more babies to be born :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->