February Valentines 2012 - We have our first Valentines!

Haha, sorry Junebugs, that was confusing. I don't get paid for my leave. I get 3 months, unpaid, where they guarantee my job if I choose to return. And well, any other PTO that I've saved up - vacation time, floating holiday, sick time, that I can use if I wish, though obviously then I wouldn't have it later. Tough decisions, really! lol.

I'm pumped about the aquarium. Clearly, a little kiddo at heart about some things. ;) The last I went to this one, I was in middle school and it was the coolest. It's one of the 'most touchable' aquariums in the US or something. I remember petting small sharks and other fun things, so I'm looking forward to going again. :)

Haha, sorry Junebugs, that was confusing. I don't get paid for my leave. I get 3 months, unpaid, where they guarantee my job if I choose to return. And well, any other PTO that I've saved up - vacation time, floating holiday, sick time, that I can use if I wish, though obviously then I wouldn't have it later. Tough decisions, really! lol.

Same here... was talking with a coworker today, though, and I think I can get a few weeks of Short Term Disability so I can accrue a percentage of my income. Any chance of that working for you?? I know what you mean about taking the vacation time. It seems like a double-edged sword because what if I'd like a few days with the LO around 6 or 9 months! :shrug:

Ok so i felt more movement yesterday!! I AM ON :cloud9: right now!! It has got to be the best feeling in the world, it also gave me that feeling in my stomach like when you are on a roller coaster.... it was so weird at the same time, I think s/he was rolling over or something. I have also felt little pops here and there...

So cool!! I can't believe we're at the stage where they'll start moving. I've been holding my breath for this for weeks! :happydance:

Omg guess what..... I have just felt a massive kick :D i know im very early but it was a full ib kick which hurt i am so excited now and i just want to feel more

Welcome animalcracker :)

Still thinking of you Kelly :hugs:

Nothing exciting happening here really, just catching up on everyone else and lettin y'all know I'm still alive hehe.

Does anyone have a pregnancy journal? Like a baby record book but for YOU for during your pregnancy? I want one. But can't find any :(

Welcome animalcracker :)

Still thinking of you Kelly :hugs:

Nothing exciting happening here really, just catching up on everyone else and lettin y'all know I'm still alive hehe.

Does anyone have a pregnancy journal? Like a baby record book but for YOU for during your pregnancy? I want one. But can't find any :(

I have 2. One is The Belly Book. It's more for pictures every week of your belly with you just adding a few things. The other is Letters for Tomorrow where they have a question at the top (and multiple blank pages) and you answer them, writing about how you found out, how you felt, who you told, etc etc.

Well ladies I'm off to the Adirondacks for a long restful weekend:happydance:
I will have no internet so I will have a lot to read I am sure when I get back.
Hope all are well and I will miss reading all the posts while I am gone.

Feel good!:hugs:

This is going to sound completely outrageous, and don't get me wrong - I love where I live, haha - but I am beginning to become more and more envious of the non-USers on the boards when I read about their paid leaves, paid paternity leaves, etc. :haha: This website has definitely given me an awareness of the major differences in various countries - and it's undoubtedly very interesting! lol. I'm just so nervous about making ends meet once the baby comes. Guess that's completely natural, though.

Can't believe it's Wednesday - for some reason, this week seems to be flying. THANK GOODNESS. Hubby is taking me to the big touch-and-feel aquarium in NJ this weekend. I've been begging to go for awhile, especially before I get much bigger and can't pet anything fun :haha: so he agreed we can go on Saturday. :dance: I'm so excited!

Anyone else have exciting, upcoming weekend plans? :D

My son went there on his camp trip once he loved it. I wanna take him to the please touch museum in PA ever been there? I hear it's so good.
Have a great time. We are going to the mountains in upstate NY

I've been feeling movements the past few days, just here and there... I could see them with Evey (she kicked more at this point...) so DH was trying to see, but so far this baby doesn't seem to be as active as E :lol:

I still haven't had a MW appointment, but honestly I'm not sure how we're going to pay her now... So we need to figure something out... But we're flying to the UK next week to visit my family and staying for a couple of weeks, so I'll be around 19 weeks when we get back (was supposed to have first appointment 10-12 weeks and get my bloodwork done by 16 weeks... Oops! We seriously can't afford it though...).

Has anyone else been having braxton hicks? It's kind of early, but I just had one and it was freaky :lol: I didn't have them with Evey, so I guess it's just because my womb has experience and as baby is getting bigger and moving around it's making my womb twitchy... Weird.

swanxxsong, check into using short term disability. I was reading the FMLA today and it sure leaves the door open for that. My company's policy may allow it, I couldn't tell from reading but will figure it out.

Speaking of work, I told my project manager, task supervisor, and another guy whose project I may be on soon that I'm pregnant today. They were all so congratulatory and supportive, which was great. I'm trying to work out something part time, maybe even work from home, and they indicated it was an option. I'm hoping it will work out!

hi ladies :flower:
ive been reading but not really posting lol. i keep forgetting :dohh:
thinking of u kelly :hugs:
animal cracker - congrats and welcome !
ive been feeling baby moving alot in the last few days :cloud9: im so excited .

My stroller arrived!! I LOVE it...except for the color. Online the brown looks much more "brown" to me. But in person it's more of a brown/red and I HATE red. But, thankfully, I can just order a new basket for below the stroller in black and get the bassinet in black! The car seat can stay in the car. Everything else though, is awesome. The basket on the bottom slides right out and has a handle so if you need to leave the stroller somewhere, you can take it with you. The handles are adjustable for height which will be good for my husband and I. I love it!!

Welcome Animalcracker!! Nice of you to join us, we love newcomers! Can't wait to get to know more about you!!

Swansong, I have known a lot of places that do not offer very good maternity benefits. My old job was one. My brother worked for walmart when his daughter was born, and they gave him some leave time, but it did not have many other benefits for new parents. There are some better places that have great maternity benefits and such, they are just really good jobs and companies!

Tiger, I am glad that you have been feeling the baby move!! YAY!

JohnsPrincess, I am glad that your stroller arrived! It is nice that you can buy a different colored basket for it!

I'm pumped about the aquarium. Clearly, a little kiddo at heart about some things. ;) The last I went to this one, I was in middle school and it was the coolest. It's one of the 'most touchable' aquariums in the US or something. I remember petting small sharks and other fun things, so I'm looking forward to going again. :)

Oh ok i get it now.... I had no idea that in the states you don't get payment when you are off. Here in Canada we get at 450$ a week from the government depending on how much money you make (if you make min. wage it would be less but it's a maximum of 450$) We get that for 1 year. We also get our jobs back after 1 year.

Saphire - I personally have not been to please touch, but I know many people who've taken their kids there and have raved about it. Have a great weekend! :)

I'll look into disability - I feel as though if it was an option, my boss would have mentioned it - as she's gone above-and-beyond trying to help me in every way possible (since I haven't even decided yet if I'm returning to her, but we're pretending I am for now, just to cover all bases for insurance and stuff - and SHE is the one who decided that). But maybe she overlooked it. I need to check.

Yeah Junebugs, it stinks. I've talked to so many of my friends and acquaintances here who have kids and they all said the same thing: the States gets the total shaft on leave! haha. I never realized until the boards here that some women get a year off, with their job saved - and most of them get some compensation too! I told hubby we should move to Ireland, and he laughed and rolled his eyes. Uprooting, totally not wise, but dang it was tempting for a second. ;)

Booooooooo. According to the website we found, in the state of PA you had to apply Orr-conception...? But I'm going to research that more tomorrow. I'm too sleepy right now. haha. I'm not going to stop until I know for sure. ;)

Im starting to read all your posts a bit more now :coffee:

Welcome newbies & How lovely that some of you are feeling movements :thumbup:

I'll be back & posting more soon, I hope :hugs:

My Mum is having a really tough time & im trying to support her, but as I live 1.5 hours away, its not so easy, although im back with her tommorow ~ I know how awful I feel losing my Dad, but she has lost her life partner, they had been together 37 years :cry:

Saphire - I personally have not been to please touch, but I know many people who've taken their kids there and have raved about it. Have a great weekend! :)

I'll look into disability - I feel as though if it was an option, my boss would have mentioned it - as she's gone above-and-beyond trying to help me in every way possible (since I haven't even decided yet if I'm returning to her, but we're pretending I am for now, just to cover all bases for insurance and stuff - and SHE is the one who decided that). But maybe she overlooked it. I need to check.

Yeah Junebugs, it stinks. I've talked to so many of my friends and acquaintances here who have kids and they all said the same thing: the States gets the total shaft on leave! haha. I never realized until the boards here that some women get a year off, with their job saved - and most of them get some compensation too! I told hubby we should move to Ireland, and he laughed and rolled his eyes. Uprooting, totally not wise, but dang it was tempting for a second. ;)

WOW... you learn something new EVERYDAY... i really had no idea you guys did not get paid and you also did not have your jobs saved for you!! THAT SUCKS!!! I always wanted to move to California but now i am not so sure ;) ... you should come and move to Canada! lol...... So how long are you aloud to get off then before you can loose your job?.... and do you really not get paid from anywhere while you are off? (work, insurance, goverment?) Sorry for all the questions but i really want to understand this since this whole time i though the states was the same...

It's all good, don't apologize Junebugs. :)

I have 12 weeks where my job is saved for me. And, if I use my vacation and stuff, I can have just beyond that. I believe some people can apply for an extra month through my work, through the FMLA or something like that, but I'm not 100%. I need to research it a bit more, and ask my coworker who just had her maternity leave last year. 12 weeks, solid - unpaid - is what I was told I am given, "as per the law."

I am still researching the possibility of collecting short-term disability, but I think that would still only be 8 weeks and it's partial pay. I have to look into that a lot today - hopefully our HR website has some helpful info. :) Like I said, I've yet to speak to anyone who I know personally (non-intranetz lol) who lives in the US and got paid maternity / paternity leave, other than applying for short-term disability. :shrugs: Learning new things everyday now that I'm pregnant; I just keep asking my friends who have kids, seeing what they can tell me. haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->