Feeding on demand...

Pearls18

Reaction score
How does this work when baby doesn't want to feed much? DS2 is not a "booby baby" I EBF but he has always been a bit fussy on the breast, we started treating him for reflux but he started being more content and his weight gain was always fine so I haven't given the gaviscon in a while(it didn't really do anything) he still sicks up often but sometimes he won't at all.

He was born on the 50th, went up to the 75th but I got him weighed this week and he's just above the 50th again, HV wasn't worried, DS1 was 75th-91st centile BF so I'm used to bigger babies. DS1 fed 3 hourly mostly and woke once a night at this age.

DS2 just doesn't seem to get ravenous, he never seems to look relieved to get onto he boob if that makes sense he always seems happier with his dummy. This afternoon he spent 3.5 hours awake perfectly content, mostly on his play mat we were sat near him watching tv, after 4 hours since his last feed I tried to feed him, he fed a bit, his heart wasn't in it, he sicked up afterwards. I have to feed at least 3 hours apart to ensure he's interested enough to feed ok and not sick up but tbh he would probably go longer than that most of the time, I feed him as soon as I think he is hungry if he does show signs but he rarely does, he rarely feeds longer than 10-15 mins at a time.

I wouldn't be worried but now his weight gain is dropping a bit and the fact it just doesnt feel right I just feel like I'm doing something wrong. If I express he GUZZLES a bottle?? I think the dummy might be to blame, it gives him so much comfort, DS1 never used one, could the dummy be comforting him too much it's stopping him from being hungry?? I know that sounds stupid.

Oh and he doesn't do all that well at night, last night he woke every hour (although that is unusual) I fed him every wake but he wasn't overly interested. His normal routine is bed at 11, 3-4 hours sleep, feed, 2 hours sleep, fed, 1 hour sleep, up.

Thank you if you read all that, I don't know what I am after, I found it easier having a hungry baby that wanted feeding every 2 hours I know that sounds silly but I felt like I was doing something then!!

By 2 months he might get a surprising amount per feed in a couple of minutes from the boob.

If he goes with a bottle for a day does he still wee lots?

He might be a super fast eater - so when it's from a bottle you can see how much he guzzles so fast but from a boob it's more of a mystery.

Thanks for the reply, he's only had one bottle at a time usually at bed time so I've not noticed if his nappies are different, he always has lots of wet nappies and poos once a day. He's definitely an efficient feeder, I just can't seem to drill it into myself that what he gets is enough, especially because he slips off a lot during feeds (which probably worsens the sickiness) rather than doing a good strong latched feed if that makes sense??

Oh his poos are often quite greenish too which knocks my confidence further.

Green-ish poop would suggest fore/hind milk balance, could you do a block feed from one boob for two feeds, then switch?

He does sound like an efficient feeder though, but perhaps needs a little longer to draw the fat from the breast.

Green-ish poop would suggest fore/hind milk balance, could you do a block feed from one boob for two feeds, then switch?

He does sound like an efficient feeder though, but perhaps needs a little longer to draw the fat from the breast.

I sometimes worry he's too lazy to get to the fatty milk, that he will drink the easy to get to milk but can't be bothered to work for the hind milk?! I say this because he seems to get fed up of one (but not in a fully drained way, because from the way he sucks doesn't suggest to me he is drinking back milk) so I will offer the second and he does the same again. I often block feed if not offering the second breast not on purpose because I offer one breast, he doesn't feed for ages then I offer the same again but I'm not sure if because he goes so long between feeds the fore milk has replenished anyway? If I feed after 2 hours he's not usually very hungry.

You could be like me and had a fast let down.

So they pull off to get a break.

My DD had greenish poop for a long time as she got a lot of foremilk.

Doing two feeds a side helped a lot

Have you had a look at what Dr Jack Newman says about green poo? He suggests that mothers should wear sunglasses when changing nappies :D Unless there are other issues, I wouldn't worry about it much.

I think I'd probably find it difficult to adjust to a baby who was laid back about milk feeds, same as you, but if he's weeing and pooing plenty and is otherwise happy and healthy, try not to worry. I wouldn't really look at the growth charts too much - it's an average - many babies won't follow a straight line up the chart.

Could you try limiting use of the dummy to see if that's masking his hunger signs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->